We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Cod summer 2010 - opinions and advice please

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Cod summer 2010 - opinions and advice please

Hi,

We are hoping to bring our late teen sons to NYC next August for 3-4 days , followed by 5-7 days at the coast. We are looking for somewhere we can easily get to from NYC in a rental car, with good beaches, maybe some surf for the boys, ideally a town with a good mix of shops and restaurants.

Please could anyone who is familiar with Cape Cod give me their opinion in general on whether this is a good plan, and specifically on the following:

*Falmouth or Chatham as a base - is it worth driving the extra to get to Chatham ?

*Traffic en route from NYC - exactly how bad is bad ? We are used to things like the M25 round London, anyone able to set in context how smooth or torrid the journey is likely to be ?! Multimap estimates NYC to Chatham about 5hrs, but is it realistic ?

*Recent weather in C/Cod seem to be nearly English (LOL) - has it just been a bad spell ?

Thanks for any advice.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,941 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Cod summer 2010 - opinions and advice please

Well, anyplace that you locate on the Cape will have a lot to offer you. If you locate in Falmouth you'll have much to enjoy right there in the Falmouth/Woods Hole area including a very easy option for a daytrip to Martha's Vineyard on the ferry. You'll also have simple access to nearby Sandwich the oldest town on the Cape with great museums, restaurants and sightseeing.

For the Outer Cape area however a more central location would be Eastham notable especially for visiting the National Seashore and convenient to towns north on up to Provincetown and south for a day visit to Chatham where you can shop (like everywhere on the Cape) and enjoy a bit of sightseeing one afternoon.

You have time to noodle around on all the websites and read back over this board as well. I encourage you to gather all the info that you can but, if no clear winner emerges don't worry. Wherever you choose you'll enjoy Cape Cod.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Cod summer 2010 - opinions and advice please

First - Travel time all depends on timing - you will be traveling in summer and not a weekly rental so the big traffic day Saturday may not affect you. The five hours quoted on your mapping system is a perfect trip time.

Second dont let the traffic frighten you - it is not all that bad....the traffic issue has taken on a life of its own here on the board ------ yes the traffic in July and August is heavy but we are a beach destination and that is when we have the best beach weather here and the children are out of school so that equals heavier traffic.

I am not familiar with driving on the M25 so I cant make any comparisions but maybe some of our recent visitors here from the UK can help you out.

You are smart to check early as stays for less than a week are sometimes more difficult to obtain. I like both of your choices but you need to consider what and where you would like to see/go while you are here. Falmouth is a bit out of the way if you are traveling daily to the lower cape and vice versa.

If you are considering touring I would select a destination that is centrally located.

ENJOY THE PLANNING AND THE TRAVEL!!

shropshire
Level Contributor
126 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Cod summer 2010 - opinions and advice please

Hello Slowski

we had our first hoiday in Cape Cod last year and cannot wait to return, hopefully September 2010.We flew in to Boston,so it was an easy 2hour drive from there.Cannot help you about NYC.We stayed at Sandwich and Eastham, and loved both.The scenery is great, and can remind you of Cornwall. We took the ferry over to Nantucket (must book) for three days

and loved it,but it was a little on the expensive side.We hope to do Marthas Vinyard on our next trip.The weather was kind to us, sunny days and quite warm.I understand that the traffic to Cape Cod can be heavy and that it may be best to avoid weekends,which we did. I am sure that you will enjoy this area. We then went on to Newport, Rhode Island, which again was delightful.

Enjoy your trip

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Cod summer 2010 - opinions and advice please

AliciaS

So glad you enjoyed your time here and wish to return

Did you visit during July and August -if so - you might be able to relate Cape summer traffic to UK roads and traffic from slowksi and others here

Thank you

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Cod summer 2010 - opinions and advice please

If you do decide to visit the Cape, take a peek at a map and you'll see where Chatham is located, really at a mid-way point of Cape Cod (right on the elbow of the bent arm of the Cape). It's a beautiful place and has been designated a 'Distinctive Destination' by the National Historic Trust. It is a unique and special place.

Having said that: There are a lot of great places to stay on the Cape and Chatham is just one of them. Other not to be missed places on the Cape would include Eastham and beyond for the National Seashore beaches and Provincetown on the tip of the Cape.

I agree that Falmouth would also suit your needs and is charming. Although often maligned, Hyannis and Hyannisport have some great places to visit.

You'll be well prepared for the traffic coming out of NYC although I think you'll find it easier to manage than your London traffic!

Cape weather: The weather changes quickly up here; our kids were kite surfing before a bit of a storm hit yesterday and it is clear, dry and sunny in Chatham today. The weather on the entire east coast has been dismal this summer.

Another idea for you to consider: Have you thought about visiting the beaches of Long Island N.Y. in the Hamptons or even the beaches of the New Jersey shore? Both are easier (close) to get to from NYC and although neither place is similar to Cape Cod the beaches are lovely. If you decided to spend more time in NYC, you might also consider visiting the beaches of Coney Island and Fire Island in Brooklyn for a day trip, a train ride away from NYC. If this is a consideration at all, please post on the New York City forum for more information re. beach visits.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great visit! The east coast of the U.S. is a great vacation destination.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Cod summer 2010 - opinions and advice please

Here's a recent thread with accurate information about many Cape towns:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g185492-i369-k2958…

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Cod summer 2010 - opinions and advice please

Sorry: should have written 'Brooklyn is a train ride away from "Manhattan" ' (Brooklyn is a borough of NYC).

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Cod summer 2010 - opinions and advice please

Wow, thanks folks to each of you for your prompt and informative replies.

Fussyguest, you must have read my mind as I had been considering the Long Island beaches for access reasons. However, 2 things put me off - first, I posted on the Montauk forum on TA and got zero replies, and secondly, whenever the Long Island beaches in general , and the Hamptons in particular, are featured in UK travel articles, its invariably about celebrities holidaying there. Just yesterday I saw an article about a celebrity chef(ess) spending £1000s on couture for her upcoming trip to the Hamptons. I really wanted something more authentic and simpler following our time in NYC! (Which goes to prove that not all Brits are celebrity-obsessed, I suppose). Is this a fair impression ?

So thanks again everyone, if anyone has any other thoughts please continue to keep them coming.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,675 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Cod summer 2010 - opinions and advice please

If you have the time I would head for the Cape. We have been staying in the Orleans/Eastham area for nearly 40 years and find it perfect for us. Centrally located for drives in any direction. Skaket Beach on the Bay for miles of walking when the tide is out. Nauset beach for its surfing and miles of sand backed with dunes. Shopping and restaurants in the pleasant town of Orleans. Miles of beaches on both sides of Eastham, on the Bay and the magnificent beaches of the National Seashore on the Atlantic side.

About 30-40 minutes drive to Provincetown for whalewatching and people watching, art galleries and funky shops, about 15-20 minutes drive to Chatham. Easy access to 6A for sightseeing along a beautiful road lined with lovely old houses, antique shops etc.

Don't worry about the driving, it's a piece of cake compared to driving in the U.K. Just watch out for the locals!! Just kidding (I think)

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Cod summer 2010 - opinions and advice please

Hi Slowski: Instead of posting on L.Island forums, post directly on the New York City forum and you'll get plenty of replies. Also, you can do a search on the New York City forum for 'beaches' and you'll be able to get more information.

Not all of L.I. beaches nor their communities are for the rich and famous. The beaches are great and there's a nice wine trail going there too. (for you...not your under 21 year old!)

Really, you've zeroed in on beautiful places..you won't go wrong here. I was trying to save you some drive time. (did you take a look at the Jersey shore? Also really nice from NYC).