We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing

Are there places where a person can fish from shore in the bay or is it too shallow near shore???

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing

Don't know too much about fishing, but we have watched some very successful fishing off South Sunken Meadow beach on the Bay in North Eastham. I think that the catch was Bluefish.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,015 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing

Bluefish and Summer Fluke are occassionally caught off of Herring Cove in provincetown.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing

Sea Bass can be caught off the National Seashore's Coast Guard Beach and occasionally from the shores off Fort Hill and Town Cove in Eastham.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing

The jetty that is at the mouth of the Canal (Scusset Beach State Reservation)is a good place for flounder, perch, mackeral....

www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/southeast/scus.htm

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing

What town are you going to be in? What time of season? Yes, you can fish very successfully from the shore if you plan it. You have to watch tides for one thing. Call or visit a local tackle and bait shop for the best info. Visit www.onthewater.com, too.

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing

We haven't decided on a town yet. We wanted to get info on fishing before making the decision.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing

I've got a call in o a friend of mine who fishes the Cape all the time. But,in the meantime I can tell you that I have fished the area between the canal and Sandy Neck Beach in the past. I go at high tide, generally. I have fished in front of the Hemisphere restaurant at the end of the canal on the Sandwich side. I cast lures(mostly Hogies, a soft bait type lure) with some success. Also, I stroll along the beach by the boardwalk to the mouth of the "old harbor'. that's been pretty hot. Another spot is the mouth of Scorton Creek. Finally, I have had fun bottom fishing with chunks of pogies , squid or mackerel off of Sandy Neck Beach esp, at dusk or dawn.

I know Barnstable Harbor is a good area too, esp if you have a kayak.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,521 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing

Wow mainstreetman, I'm coming to your house for just caught fish dinner...lol.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing

There's great fly fishing off of Monomoy Island in Chatham. My group has caught a few striped bass and blues off this beach this summer. (not such a fan of bluefish but we all really love stripers!)

There are a few shuttles that'll take you out there. People have fished from the shore at Lighthouse Beach in Chatham too. The stripers love the water temps. here. They seem to like the food they're eating too.

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing

Thank you everyone for all of your help. I will have to find a good map and locate these places and then will decide on a location. We will probably be going July of next year.