We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Yarmouth Ideas

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
West Yarmouth Ideas

We are staying in West Yarmouth next week and thorugh the forums I have read about the best places to eat and things to do. Trouble is trying to map it all and understand distances. How far are your recommendations from where we are located.

My questions are, what is near West Yarmouth, in terms of;

Best Ice Cream?

Beaches?

Restaurants-not chains or ones that cater to the 5:00 crowd or are too fancy-good food

Best Lobster-take out to eat at home- I believed it is cooked and cracked or not cracked?

Best grocery store for produce and fresh vegetables?

Last but not least-the best of anything I have missed?

Thanks!

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Yarmouth Ideas

In West Yamouth the best beach IMO is Seagull Beach off South Sea Ave. But there are others all along South Shore Drive (Smugglers, Parkers River, South Middle, etc)

Ice Cream:

Cape Cod Creamery is in South Yarmouth

www.capecodcreamery.com

Lil Caboose in South Yarmouth

but IMO the best Ice Cream in the area is in the next town over in Dennisport at Sundae School

www.sundaeschool.com

There's a fish market next to the Lobster Boat in West Yarmouth....almost all lobster will be the same unless you are looking for a special size. Even the supermarkets sell it and can steam it for you.

Captain Parkers is good casual food...good clam chowder but it's very creamy and thick....(some people don't like all the cream) For Italian, Gerardi's is popular. I haven't tried the Riverway since the new owneers took over, but their other restaurant in Osteerville is good (Wimpy's)

There's a Stop & Shop in South Yarmouth their vegetables and produce are fine.

Can't really give distances as I don't know exactly where you are staying. But from the Hyannis line (the western edge of West Yarmouth, to the Bass River the eastern edge of South Yarmouth) is only a few miles....traffic on Rt. 28 will dictate your time though.

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
506 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West Yarmouth Ideas

The traffic on Rt 28 from the Yarmouth / Hyannis (Barnstable) line to parts of South Yarmouth can be VERY slow moving and you may wish to know some other roads to help...

I put this custom Google Maps together quite a while back to guide people from my cottages in So. Chatham to Hyannis using the "back roads"...so look at just the Yarmouth portions to get some ideas, ok?

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Note: I'm not promoting my place, but that's how the custom map is configured...it can be used to get from Hyannis to So. Harwich avoiding Rt 28.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Yarmouth Ideas

I agree 110% with milemarker 0. My wife and I are here in West Yarmouth RIGHT NOW and have doone all of that.

We just pulled a huge hunk of salmon off the grill from the Fish Market mentioned - and its amazing. Yesterday we did lobster and steamers from the same place. All very high grade stuff.

If you're into good fresh produce, there is a Trader Joe's in Hyannisport - all organic, etc. Good Stuff.

We spent a day at Seagull Beach and it was great.

If you give me a better idea of where you are in W Yarmouth, maybe I can offer more input.

As I said, we're right here and here through the weekend!

The folks on this forum have been GREAT by the way!

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West Yarmouth Ideas

"Pleasant Forest Shores"...those directions are spot on! There's been alot of posts about the horrific traffic on the Cape this year, and for the most part, IMO, unwarranted. (As it is scaring a lot of visiting posters.)

Your guests are well directed, and they get a nice tour of residential parts of the Cape that others might not see....I grew up In Yarmouth, and would take most of those roads myself (except for a few detours that will remain a secert ;))

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
506 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West Yarmouth Ideas

milemarker0,

Thanks for the compliment! I know how bumper-to-bumper it can get especially in some stretches of West Yarmouth on a less-than-ideal day, and my guests have reported same, so I created that map back in 2007 to help them out...

You have different paths? I use some other roads as well depending on where I need to go but that's the most used and almost never backed up.

I also had trouble with new guests getting lost coming to my place (those without GPS!) such as at Old Queen Anne Rd & Rt 137 because of the 'dog-leg' that 137 takes, and Rt 28 North/South...so I created a way that hasn't lost one yet who used it: I took pix at every turn and labeled it!

See what you think: freewebs.com/pleasantforestshores/directions…

Again, not advertising but just showing how good directions can be without Google Street View if done right...I've gotten numerous "thank you's" about it.

If I had the time, I would do the same for my "back road" directions, as it's still a bit confusing for first-timers.

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West Yarmouth Ideas

Great directions...you went all out.

LOL about the Rt. 28 North heading West...it's even more strange to people when they are heading North on 28 South from the Chatham to Orleans stretch....

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West Yarmouth Ideas

Unfortunately, dense traffic is in fact a reality on the Cape in the summer. I love the back roads; too bad most visitors don't!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: West Yarmouth Ideas

PleasantForest: Guests coming into S. Chatham used to get a bit confused at the Old Queen Anne and 137 intersection because the directional arrows on the road were different than the posted sign's arrows! Now that the sign is so clear, nobody has had a problem.

I love your photos, but I was actually confused by them! I simply tell visitors to go Straight through that 4-way stop sign at 137 and Queen A. rd. (but before that: don't you just tell them that after they take a left onto rte. 137 from exit 11 to just go straight...straight past the movies, straight past Stop & Shop, etc. and straight through the 4 way stop until reaching rte 28? You could also have them take the 3rd right onto Morton Road off of 137 and 'cut through' to 28. Different way, different cat.

Also, you have directions to your place on your website, right?

9. Re: West Yarmouth Ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2010, 13:16