We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to the Cape from Berkshires on Labor Day afternoon

UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to the Cape from Berkshires on Labor Day afternoon

Hi All

Sorry - another traffic question

We will be driving from Stockbridge MA to Chatham MA on Labor Day afternoon, assuming we will take I90 - I495 - Rt25 - Rt6 Any advice on how bad the traffic is likely to be would be appreciated.

Im guessing close to the Cape we should be ok (as most of the traffic will be going the other way) but we are assuming the traffic on I90/I495 will be heavy.

Ideally we would want to arrive in Chatham at about 4pm/5pm

Mapquest suggest the journey should take 3 hours 44min - factoring in Labor day traffic how far off the mark do you think this might be

Any help on this is gratefully received

many thanks

LJN_UK

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to the Cape from Berkshires on Labor Day afternoon

You will most likely run into very heavy traffic as you approach the Sturbridge exit (where I84 comes in)-not sure which exit number(#9?) - stay in the left lane as you pass by; at that point I90 becomes three lanes. You may find a lot of volume at the Auburn/Worcester exit (#10) also (I290.Again stay to the left lanes if possible. You are right about I495 as people will be returning from northern New England, but that should ease out soon after you get onto the route. Getting onto the cape at the bridge may also be slow going.

No matter when you leave Stockbridge, you will need more time than normal. If the weather is nice, you might want to leave earlier in the day to save some hassle. I would probably add at least and hour and probably two to your travel time; however Chatham is lovely and well worth the effort.

Hadley...
Level Contributor
817 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to the Cape from Berkshires on Labor Day afternoon

I lived in the Berkshires for 21 years so I know that drive all too well. I always left the Berkshires as early as possible to avoid most of the traffic. Stockbridge to Dennis, where I live, takes 3 1/2 hours with 1 bathroom break. Chatham will take another 45 minutes? If you get an early start(by 8-9) I think you'll be fine.

Martha

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to the Cape from Berkshires on Labor Day afternoon

I have lived in the Berkshires for nearly forty years and have traveled to my hometown on the Cape regularly in that time. I don't go quite as far down as Chatham, but would think 3:45-4hours is about on the mark depending on how much bathroom time you need to take.

I have not done the Labor Day thing as I was either back in school or about to be. Another sticky point not mentioned above (one that I have run into at Thanksgiving and Columbus Day) is in the Springfield area which can become a big parking lot.

Exit 9 mentioned above will be jampacked for those going west, but I've not had trouble there eastbound.

Exit 10 can get sticky, but probably not in your direction Labor Day.

Exit 11A to 495 tends to back up and 495 is often heavy.

Probably not much back up at the bridge in your direction, but the rotary just after the Bourne bridge can be a nightmare. Also Rte 6 off the rotary can be a bottleneck. If conditions indicate, I might suggest that you get off 25 at the last exit before the bridge and then take the scenic highway along the canal to the Sagamore bridge, which will take you right onto rte 6 and down Cape.

WBZ Boston, 1030 AM on the radio dial, has traffic on "the threes" (three minutes after the hour, 13 minutes after the hour and so on). Tune in to that as you approach the Cape and you will here what conditions are at the bridges. Also they give any problems on the pike from Sturbridge on and then on 495/25. I tend to tune in to check on traffic conditions when I get to Worcester (we do get BZ all the way out to the Berkshires.

Have a great trip!

4. Re: Driving to the Cape from Berkshires on Labor Day afternoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2010, 05:26