We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancel your trip cause I just had the best vacation ever!!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Cancel your trip cause I just had the best vacation ever!!!

Stayed in a comfortable but not fancy saltbox in Bass River (S Yarmouth). It is a lovely area on the Natl Register of Historic Places, just off of 28 but very, very quiet neighborhood.

Started the trip by stopping for lunch along the dock in Plymouth. Much changed since I was last there during the middle part of the last century. Had THE BEST lobsta rolls at Crabby Shack. Walked around and then drove the rest of the way to the Sagamore Bridge along 3A, which is a great drive with incredible ocean views and gorgeous homes.

Next day, visited dear friends in Mashpee. Gotta love Cape traffic on 28. Even knowing a couple of shortcuts, still took an hour. Walked around downtown Falmouth which has nice shops and cold beer. So many people are looking for the "Old" Cape. Well, across from all the shops with the tourists is the town library and a park. In the park are little tablets and an American Flag by each along a perfectly manicured lawn. Each tablet and flag honors a young person who died in war. Walk through the park and you will have experienced Old Cape Cod and really New England in general.

Don't remember all the restaurants that we stopped at but we only went to the best.

Next day, I biked from my shack to Chatham and back (about 30 miles). Biking is the best way to see so much of the Cape (but stay off of 28 if you can).

The Cape Cod Rail Trail is a highly used and beautiful trail that passes ponds and lakes as it winds its way to either Chatham or Wellfleet depending on which spur you take. Upon arriving in Chatham, I biked down shore road stopping at the town dock and watched the seals play in the harbor and the boats come in with their catch. Continued past the Chatham Bars Inn (which is the best place to stay- wish I had) and on to the Chatham light, back down Bridge St and back to the trail. Very exhausting.

Drove back that afternoon with family to shop.

Met some other guys who also ditched their wives and we spent an hour having some beer and laughs at the Squire Tavern. Very friendly folks, both in front and behind the bar.

Day 3- visited family on MV. for those who have asked about transportation, we took the ferry across to Oak Bluffs and caught the bus to Edgartown and was there in about 20 minutes after landing. Ate lunch at the best place in Edgartown.

If you do want to go swimming, the bus stops along the way at various beaches. total cost $2 each way for the bus.

then went swimming on a private beach. It must have been the 2nd best because the 1st best had a coast guard ship guarding it about a mile away and that was about as close as you could get.

Dinner at Jimmy Sea's in Oak Bluffs. Must be the best because people were waiting over an hour to get in on a Wednesday without a reservation. Don't know why the President ate around the corner that night.

Next day, took a ride up 6A to Orleans after my morning bike ride. Got the best lobsters (2 pounders) steamed and took them home to devour. Much less expensive than eating out.

Thursday, I biked to coast guard beach in Eastham which is about 25 miles. Was able to swim for an hour or so while my family searched for me. Seems that there are a couple of Nauset Rds and since my wife had never heard of Eastham, assumed that I could not be there.

From there we went to Provincetown for the afternoon. Saw a great wedding, there were 2 brides, 2 guys, and only 2 people getting married, you do the math. It was quite fun. Wish we had more time along the seashore.

Later that evening, met some friends at the Sandbar restaurant in Dennis (near the lighthouse Inn). Place is an absolute gas.

Rockwell King has been playing (the same thing) there for 50 years and does a little comedy. Just don't talk during the comedy or he might hit you. They have the best food as long as you only want popcorn but the drinks are cheap.

Friday was a long day taking our daughter to school at UNH. Where is the easy button when you need it?

The last day was spent meandering down the coast in NH. I had never done that and if you have the chance it is well worth the trip from Portsmouth along the coast. Ocean was pretty active with Danny blowing thru. Ate at Petey's where I had the best clam chowda and belly clam roll.

Almost forgot, tried every home made ice cream place I could find. The Sundae School in Harwich had wonderful peppermint stick (almost a whole stick in the scoop not just those little pieces you sometimes get) and another place had my favorite blueberry ice cream.

If you get the chance, also try the Wachusett blueberry Ale which is local or the Cape Cod beer.

I feel badly that I had the best vacation. Now that everyone has read about it, there is no point for anyone else to go knowing that it can only be 2nd best.

Pics to follow.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancel your trip cause I just had the best vacation ever!!!

Welcome back! Great trip report. And fyi, I stocked my Cape Rental w/ Wachusett Blueberry last week!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancel your trip cause I just had the best vacation ever!!!

Good and amusing report. We are still going on Friday but will not attempt to outdo you. Don't have the energy.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancel your trip cause I just had the best vacation ever!!!

damn you! I've been here all week looking for someone to bike/drink with. I've been doing all of that with my wife! I wish you'd posted sooner. We've been here for 8 days and will be here (W Yarmouth) Through Tuesday... when we drive our cooler of lobster back to Buffalo NY to let those people even THINK they know what a great time we had.

Your report is great. I can't wait to write mine.

Tom

Hadley...
Level Contributor
817 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancel your trip cause I just had the best vacation ever!!!

Awesome report.

Wachusett Blueberry Ale is fantastic, made north of Worcester MA.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancel your trip cause I just had the best vacation ever!!!

Thanks for the comments.

Tom- I did write earlier on the 24th. Sorry we could not get together.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,752 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancel your trip cause I just had the best vacation ever!!!

Thanks for the fun report. So glad you got all the best of the best. ....you must have been on Cape Cod..lol.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,102 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancel your trip cause I just had the best vacation ever!!!

i wish they had one of those little "thumbs-up" buttons on there. excellent TR!

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancel your trip cause I just had the best vacation ever!!!

lovely report..so not much good eats on the Cape?? From whom did you rent this lovely cottage please?

Norwood, MA
Level Contributor
355 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancel your trip cause I just had the best vacation ever!!!

neslaw1,

Why don't you just bite the bullet and move to New England!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancel your trip cause I just had the best vacation ever!!!

caribchakita

Lots of great eats but I really feel strongly that everyone needs to find their own place since I haven't been everywhere. Not a hard and fast rule. Just not fair to the many folks trying to make a living. Why should you drive past ice cream place A cause I had a good one at place B?

domaotc

Do you think they (whoever they are) would let me move back? Seriously, if it was not for the fact that I am in a business that does not travel well, I'd move back in a heartbeat.