We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How crowded? Cape Cod Compared to Outer Banks.

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How crowded? Cape Cod Compared to Outer Banks.

I'm thinking of going to Cape Cod next summer for my vacation but I'm getting the impression from The T.A. forum that everything is extrememly croweded in the summer. Can anyone compare for me Cape Cod and the Nags Head area of the OBX in summer in that respect?

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How crowded? Cape Cod Compared to Outer Banks.

If you don't like lots of fellow tourists and crowds and hate dealing with traffic, consider coming June or Sept.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How crowded? Cape Cod Compared to Outer Banks.

Hi, I have been to the OBX in August (Nags Head) and found the traffic and the crowds at super markets, mini-golf, etc to be equal or greater than the Cape. During July & August some areas of Cape Cod are congested but there are less crowded spots, just depends on what you are looking for. If you want to rent a quiet cottage and get away from it all, there are plenty to choose from.

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How crowded? Cape Cod Compared to Outer Banks.

Thank you

That's the information I needed.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,738 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How crowded? Cape Cod Compared to Outer Banks.

I've never been to the Outer Banks but would like to suggest that you consider the "outer cape", the towns of Eastham, Wellfleet or Truro are great. The National Seashore Beaches have a lot more 'beach' than 'parking lot'. On a beautiful sunny weekend, some parking lots fill so from about 10-2 it's hard to get in, but go early morning or later afternoon and there's no problem.

And ... if you have your heart set on a particular restaurant, call for reservations.

Here' a link to a trip report I did a few weeks ago ... we go there EVERY year. I have to say that my most recent trip to the cape was the busiest I've ever seen it. Most of the hotels/motels on Rte 6 and 6A were posting "no vacancy". I'd never seen so many "NOs". I wonder if it's because the July weather was so bad that people planned spur-of-the-moment trips when the weather got good. That said ... as you can see from the trip report, it didn't stop us from doing plenty and at no point in time did we shy away from something because of crowds.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g185492-i369-k3060…

cape cod
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How crowded? Cape Cod Compared to Outer Banks.

Well I live on the Cape but have spent a lot of time in NC. The Outer Banks is busy in their "season" too. I think its similar to the Cape in that. But I'd also say that there are places on the lower Cape you can go (in season) and find a very secluded quiet spot.

Actually the past week I've had out of state visitors here and have gone to the beaches a number of times and was surprised to find them not so crowded at all. Sandy Neck was just exactly right, enough people to do some good people watching but not nearly enough to even feel slightly crowded in. South Cape beach was the same way.

Susan

www.UndergroundCapeCod.com

www.CapeCodAirfield.com

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How crowded? Cape Cod Compared to Outer Banks.

I've stayed in OBX and the Cape in season...I think that the traffic getting onto the Cape on the weekends is far worse than my experiences on OBX (only two of them).

As for the OBX though, once you go over to Hatteras Island, the crowd levels drop more dramatically than heading further out on the Cape.

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How crowded? Cape Cod Compared to Outer Banks.

Thanks for all the input. I love the Trip Advisor because people are so willing to provide such helpful info.

conn
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How crowded? Cape Cod Compared to Outer Banks.

cape cod is always more crowed than OBX becsuse there is a much larger year round population

9. Re: How crowded? Cape Cod Compared to Outer Banks.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2010, 05:18