We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel help

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travel help

Hello!

I am visiting Orleans for a wedding at the end of September and need some help figuring out the best way to get out there. (I searched the forum so sorry if this is a repeat question)

Land at Logan Airport early Friday afternoon. Should we (2pp) take the bus or rent a car and drive? The bus seems to be $50pp (and only leaves once an hour) and stops driving to Orleans in a week from now, so we'd still have to find a way to get to Orleans from Hyannis.

$100 seems steep since a rental car would be about the same price and would alleviate the Hyannis>Orleans issue. BUT would driving be such a nightmare that we'd be happier on the bus?

thanks for your help-

stephanie

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,738 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel help

I'd drive. It's really NOT a nightmare. Barring unforseen circumstances, you MIGHT find yourself sitting in slow-moving traffic on Rte 93S (expressway) or on Rte 3 as you approach the bridges.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,675 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel help

I agree. I go down there off-season fairly frequently and since the summer visitors are gone, you should be fine. There's no anticipating accidents and construction related slowdowns, but just tell yourself that it might take a couple of hours then when its less time, you won't be stressed out. The stressful part, IMHO is getting from Logan out to 93 South so be very, very careful of the signs as you leave Logan to make sure you are heading for 93 South (Expressway). Don't let the tailgaters get to you, just take it easy and once you're on 93 S, it should be fine from there to Rt 3 to over the bridge to the Cape.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,738 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel help

Getting out of the airport is easier than is used to be ... follow the signs for 93S/Ted Williams Tunnel. (The tunnel only runs one diretion from the airport.) After you pay your $3.50 toll, then look for signs that say 93S. Easy!!!

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel help

Thanks for the help! Looking forward to the trip.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,283 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel help

Hi Stephjames, It IS a lot easier coming out of Logan now that the Big Dig has concluded. If you have two in the car then one more thing to look for is the HOV lane on the left which will help you scoot along a bit faster.

Is that the Great Wall? Been to Beijing recently?

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
506 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel help

Be aware that the Sagamore bridge will be under repair and down to one lane in each direction from what I've read so you may have to allow just a bit more time for that.

cape cod
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel help

Getting from Logan to the Cape isn't really so terrible. Take the Ted Williams (as others have said) but do expect some rush hour traffic on 93 between the Williams and the Cape Cod Rt. 3 split. Usually it is moving and.... I'm assuming you will have at least 2 people in your car... you can take the HOV lane, which is usually faster.

After you exit the Ted Williams tunnel (take the exit for 93 South) you go around a big curve as you come out of the exit and to the left is a very short HOV lane you can take. Then stay in the left hand lane for a mile or so and you can get in the big HOV lane. That will take you all the way down to the 93/Rt.3 split.

Usually you get a slight back up on Rt.3 just before exit 15 because the highway goes from 3 full lanes to 2. But it begins moving fast again once you are past exit 15.

On Friday evenings you may get a little back up just before the Sagamore Bridge, this past weekend my friend Helen told me it was backed up for a few exits (might be that construction that was mentioned). Either way it should not be a bad trip at all. And its far easier on the Cape with a car.

I don't know how much they charge you for a GPS in the car but often when I am traveling in places I don't know well I get and use the GPS. Also depending on you cell phone type you may be able to get turn by turn directions from that. (iPhone has them now via an AT&T app, which is $9.95 a month but you can turn it off after the first month and that's probably cheaper then the GPS in the car).

But either way its not a bad ride.

Susan

www.UndergroundCapeCod.com

www.CapeCodAirfield.com

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel help

Hi pixie: I've recently noticed that you're now including the link to the cape cod airfield at the end of your posts (I first noticed this on the 'Indian Food' thread on this forum).

Are you affiliated with them in some way?

9. Re: Travel help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2010, 05:18