We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Cod, MV, Nantucket in Oct ~ clambake??

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
28 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Cod, MV, Nantucket in Oct ~ clambake??

We will be spending a week on the Cape the first ten days of October ~ room is secured in Yarmouth. I have an idea of where I'd like to go, but I haven't seen anything about where a couple might go to participate in a clambake, which would be a highlight of our trip. We plan to spend a day in Nantucket, 1 to 2 days on MV, the rest doing other areas on the Cape. We are in our late 50's, no kids, not into hiking/biking. Ideas for this trip? Things not to be missed? (Also, are most things open on Sundays/Mondays this late in the season??) Any fall festivals info. during this time frame would be appreciated too! thanks ya'll!

cape cod
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Cod, MV, Nantucket in Oct ~ clambake??

There are a few websites about the Cape where you can go look up what is going on. The link below is one of the for the month of October:

www.capecodtravelguide.com/events…

Things I'd put on a must do list:

National Seashore

Provincetown

Chatham

Whale Watch or

Seal Cruise

Biplane ride over Sandy neck

We have a ton of Museums too...

Provincetown has a lot of galleries which I love browsing through. Chatham has great shopping and galleries too. National Seashore is just beautiful. Whale watches almost always see whales and the seal cruise has no problem finding seals. I've pushed the biplane rides here many times. I've taken all my friends/family and I've been up 3x this year. The biplane is gorgeous and the view of the Cape from the air is unreal, so wooded you won't believe it.

What do you like to do? I have no idea about a clambake other then you can order "New England Clambake" in various restaurants but to actually have one done for you, as far as I know, requires a group and you have to work with one of the many clambake providers on the Cape... they all have a minimum number of people that you need to have for the bake.

Hope this helps a little.

Susan

www.CapeCodAirfield.com

www.UndergroundCapeCod.com

Hadley...
Level Contributor
799 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Cod, MV, Nantucket in Oct ~ clambake??

The Yarmouth Seaside Festival is on October 10.

My suggestion for a must do is a drive on Route 6A from Sandwich or Barnstable through Dennis at least and probably Brewster too. This is the Old King's Highway and has beautiful villages with the Cape houses that are not to be missed. Also many great shops, cafes, restaurants, and walks if you like.

Since you are staying in Yarmouth I strongly suggest you have lunch, dinner,or brunch at The Old Yarmouth Inn. www.oldyarmouthinn.com.

A visit to Sesuit Harbor in East Dennis to enjoy the beauty. And if the weather is nice have breakfast or lunch at the Sesuit Harbor Cafe. It closes for the season on October 12. There is a cruise on the Lobster Roll boat. www.lobsterroolcruises.com

Consider these Dennis Restaurants: Scargo Cafe and The Oyster Company. www.scargocafe.com and www.theoystercompany.com

National Seashore, PTown, Wellfleet, Chatham, Walk the seaside trails at Fort Hill Area in Eastham.

I think you are going to have a fantastic time.

There is a Clambake Cruise on the Hyannis Whale Watch Boat on October 2 at 6:00p.m. Here is the link whales.net/whale_watch/scheduletickets.html

Martha

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
28 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Cod, MV, Nantucket in Oct ~ clambake??

Pixieish ~ thanks for the great info! What do we like to do?? hmmm ~ I'm into festivals, architecture, and just seeing the things that locals most appreciate about their area ~ not really into the 'touristy' stuff, other than we plan on visiting a least 2-3 of the lighthouses. Some shopping for locally done seaside decor stuff (and of course we'll have to have the usual tourist T shirt/sweatshirt) which I figure P'town is the best bet from what I've read here. We've done a whale tour while snorkeling in Hawaii, so I doubt we'll do another. I hope all the fall color is not gone by the time we get there! That alone might make the biplane tour an option (which I hadn't considered, so thanks for that!). We do hope to find some great clams, haddock, lobster dishes/restaurants, which is not available here in our Texas seaside community.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
28 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Cod, MV, Nantucket in Oct ~ clambake??

MarthaL ~ Boy, those are some great suggestions, especially for the drives and food! I will check out the Yarmouth festival, as that may change our tentative plans to go to MV on the 10th. I can't thank you enough for the website addresses, as it certainly makes this mammouth search at least a bit more 'do-able'. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hadley...
Level Contributor
799 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Cod, MV, Nantucket in Oct ~ clambake??

Since you want to see our architecture than I will reinforce my suggestion about the day to drive on Old Kings Highway/Route6A especially in the Village of Yarmouthport where we have many lovely half, three quarter, and full Cape Cod houses from the 18th and 19th century and sea captain's homes, just beautiful. I suggest parking the car in the village either at the Old Yarmouth Inn or one of the 2 bank parking lots and walking that section of 6A. You will be blown away by it.

Don't worry you can get fish in restaurants that is not fried.

Martha

Hadley...
Level Contributor
799 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Cod, MV, Nantucket in Oct ~ clambake??

www.yarmouthseasidefestival.com/index.html

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
28 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Cod, MV, Nantucket in Oct ~ clambake??

MarthaL ~ looks like we'll hit the Yarmouth festival in the morning (thanks for the website), and then head to MV for 2 days/1 night. (Not many places have a one night rental on MV, so I'm still checking that out vs. taking our chances for a walk-in one night offer on 10/10) Thanks for all your help and input!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,141 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Cod, MV, Nantucket in Oct ~ clambake??

If you are looking for a 'real' clam bake as in a sandpit, hot coles and seaweed ... I don't know of anybody doing those ...

HOWEVER ... if you want to eat lobster and clams on the beach, I highly recommend Art's Dune Tours out of p-town. Even if you don't take do a sunset/clambake tour, you should take a dune tour.

http://www.artsdunetours.com/daily_tours.html

Another option is to pick up your meal at Towsends on Shankpainter road (same meal you'll get w/ Art's) and drive the short distance to Herring Cove Beach and make have your own 'picnic'.

Even if you aren't into hiking, you might want to check out some of the National Seashore walking paths. Most aren't strenuous and are quite pretty.

While in P-town, head up to the monument. The views from the base of the monument are pretty and it's a great place to sit and chill for a while. The museum is interested and if you are feeling ambitious, you can climb the monument. It's actually an easy climb because there are not a lot of stairs. It's mostly a series of inside ramps with only a couple of steps in each corner.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,141 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Cod, MV, Nantucket in Oct ~ clambake??

Please excuse my typos .. I know a clambake involves hot COALS (not coles). We REALLY need an edit feature!! Sometimes my fingers go faster than my brain ....

Please accept my apology for this typo and any others that may be there too. ;)

cape cod
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Cod, MV, Nantucket in Oct ~ clambake??

I'm not sure how much fall color will be around then, everything here is still green. But the biplane tour is worth it either way, the birds eye view of the cape and the vineyard is an eyeopener! Also if you like a few more thrills, they do aerobatic rides in the biplane and you can do tandem sky dive jumps at the airfield as well (run by a different operator then the biplane rides but all at Cape Cod Airfield).

I agree with a nice drive down 6A its just beautiful. Eat some oysters and have some lobster too!

Susan

www.undergroundcapecod.com

www.capecodairfield.com