We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Mid Week Trip Suggestions for Oct 18-22nd

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
190 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Short Mid Week Trip Suggestions for Oct 18-22nd

I have an upcoming trip to Cape Cod and will be alone. Having never been to Cape Cod, just wondering if anyone has any useful tips for my planning since it will be during the week AND in October. I do not know if CC will be slowing down or partially closing down for the winter??? Are there less sight seeing oppurtunities during the week because of the time off season?

And for clothing... I am just guessing layers. I would expect it to be breezy, but would like some advice on this as well.

My thoughts of what I would like to do is walk the beaches and do some photography, explore the neighbring towns, muesums, good food, cemetaries, maybe a whale watching tour if one is still running, just a lot of in depth ME time. Any and all suggestions about your experience and favorite places are most welcome.

I always travel on a budget, so my lodging while comfortable is not where I put my $$$. I will be staying towards Hyannis. (hope I spelled that right.) Where I will spend money is on quality food.

Thank you for your time in reading this and I look forward to the responses.

Hadley...
Level Contributor
817 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Mid Week Trip Suggestions for Oct 18-22nd

You will be coming at a beautiful time of year. Yes it is off season but no worries, there is plenty open. The whale watch out of Barnstable seems to be closing on the 18th.

What town are you staying in near Hyannis? You will have amazing photo opportunities for the beautiful old architecture along RT. 6A in Barnstable through Yarmouth and Dennis. The Beaches of Dennis off of 6A are great for very long walks.

Do dress in layers for sure.

There are lots of very good restaurants in the area, what do you like?

Martha

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Mid Week Trip Suggestions for Oct 18-22nd

Folks rate the Seacoast Inn very highly for good value and wonderful hosts who are ready to give you recommendations for activities and restaurants.

seacoastcapecod.com/cape-cod-inns-rooms-and-…

Seacoast is in Hyannis.

Then, for some really nice dining, try http://www.nakedoyster.com/ for lunch or dinner.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Mid Week Trip Suggestions for Oct 18-22nd

There's beautiful scenery all over the Cape. The sun sparkling over the marsh and then over the bay in Sandwich is a tremendous view. You walk out over the boardwalk to the beach. On this link notice the image of part of the boardwalk on the front cover of the Sandwich tourism guide: http://www.sandwichma.org/

Driving on down (east) along Rt 6A is very scenic. You can also stop at Sandy Neck beach. Continue on and enjoy the dramatic beauty at Mayflower Beach in Dennis. If you check the tide charts you may be able to be there while the tide is out or going out. Refer to Sesuit Harbor for the Dennis Bay Beaches.

www.boatma.com/tides_new/tides.pl…

Then, if you don't mind driving a bit, you'll want to visit the National Seashore on another day. All of it is lovely but I suggest walking the beach at Cahoon Hollow with it's dramatically high dunes. …citysearch.com/profile/11352269/wellfleet_m… (It is quite a climb down and back UP the dune for your knees.)

You can continue on to Provincetown and enjoy a dune tour. There is one company doing these: http://www.artsdunetours.com/index.html

Then on the way back you won't be sorry if you take time to stop at Fort Hill for a gorgeous view over Nauset Marsh: …away.com/attractions/travel-ad-cid333898-ea…

Well, these are just a few of the fabulous natural scenes on the Cape. Just hope you get some sun for the best illumination.

Hadley...
Level Contributor
817 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Mid Week Trip Suggestions for Oct 18-22nd

Great Itinerary from CapeCodCharlie. The Naked Oyster is on my list to be sure.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Mid Week Trip Suggestions for Oct 18-22nd

I notice that you mention museums too. There are many from which to choose. Here are two.

Cape Cod Museum of Art: wwwccmoa.org 508-385-4477. Suggest that you call and see if the mid-week docent tour that we enjoyed so much is available while you are there. You'll get a private tour, very interesting. In Dennis at 6A and Bass River Rd.

A bit farther along 6A (east) in Brewster is the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History. www.ccmnh.org

508-896-3867. Open Wed - Sun. in Oct.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Mid Week Trip Suggestions for Oct 18-22nd

yes, do put Brewster on your list! The Natural History Museum has a beautiful trail you can walk - wonderful photo opportunities. Paine's Creek Beach in Brewster is the place for stunning sunsets.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short Mid Week Trip Suggestions for Oct 18-22nd

Include Chatham on your list of 'must sees'. It's a great little town that draws thousands of visitors because of its charm and location.

Stop at the Lighthouse overlook for a sweeping view of the sea (you won't see any sharks from here but the scenery is amazing).

From there, make time to stop at the Chatham Fish Pier to see the fishermen bring in the catch of the day and to watch the seals looking for a handout.

Main Street in Chatham is a great place to find an expensive little something or a unique and affordable little something! The shops have incorrectly been promoted here as expensive. There's something for everyone's budget in Chatham.

Stop in at Chatham Bars Inn for a glass of red wine or a cup of tea and just relax on the front porch of this Grand Hotel that overlooks Chatham Harbor and the sea beyond.

Enjoy The Chatham Squire for a great lunch or dinner. Or you might prefer the Impudent Oyster, 28 Atlantic at the Wequassett, Chatham Bars Inn, Del Mar Bistro or Wild Goose Tavern.

Here's a site with a good list of historical sites in Chatham: from a memorial to Squanto, to the Brickblock downtown, to the Old Village, to the hunting lodge that became Chatham Bars Inn:

http://www.chathaminfo.com/historic-places

It's worth a peek and a visit.

8. Re: Short Mid Week Trip Suggestions for Oct 18-22nd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2010, 05:19