We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family reunion spot in new england for summer 2010

virginia
3 posts
Save Topic
family reunion spot in new england for summer 2010

Am looking for a place for a weekend family reunion for about 35-40 people (about 10 families) across the age specturm from 87 year old matriach to her 12 greatchildren with many of the children under 6 years of age. The majority of families are from the massachusetts area but several families will come in from across the east coast. Location needs to be a reasonable drive from Boston (we are hoping to keep it 2 hours but would consider 3 hours).

We are looking for a place where we could all relax and catch up on things while letting kids play outdoors. A location with swimming, (lake or ocean a plus). Plus,tThings to keep 3 pre-teens happy. Lodging space that allows some privacy for families for sleeping (suites setup, etc) plus some regulat hotel-type space is fine. A place to have a picnic-cook-out lunch on a sunday is a plus.

Need modern amenities (not campgrounds or too rustic). Some people may choose to stay a few days longer thus a family vacation location is important.

A place that has a combination of lodge facilities and at least one 3-bedroom set-up with cooking availability is a nice-to-have but not need-to-have.

We are looking at the week-end of June 26-28, 2010.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,941 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family reunion spot in new england for summer 2010

To put you right ON the beach with cottage and motel accommodations consider Dennisport. There are beach front, fully equipped cottages on Chase Ave. called Dennis Seashores. The beachfront road becomes Old Wharf a few hundred yards west where you can find a beachfront motel called Three Seasons. Next door to that is Colony Beach motel. The next motel down is on Old Wharf but Cutty Sark (the most economical option) is one block to the beach. These last two motels also have pools for the use of guests. Dennis is in the geographic center of Cape Cod. It never takes us more than two hours to get there from Logan airport.

Another idea is to rent several houses that are near to each other. One home in our Dennisport neighborhood is rented by the matriarch and the 'kids' rent other houses (ours, across the street, is involved in this) nearby though one family always stays in a Dennisport motel. If you are not familiar with the Cape and not able to come up and drive through neighborhoods to see what you can put together then you can have a realtor put together just what will work for you.

The Cape is a great place for your family gathering.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family reunion spot in new england for summer 2010

We were with friends this morning who live off of Lower County rd. in Dennis Port and they told us there are quite a few houses in their neighborhood whose owners rent to people all summer. There are at least 3 houses marked for 'summer rental' on their street alone. Martha Murray Realty (virtually 'across the street' from this little neighborhood) handles these rentals.

They're cute, in a wooded neighborhood, well maintained, one floor living and perhaps a bit dated, but fine for a brief vacation. My friends love the area. The atmosphere is a bit 'abandoned' this time of year, (they'll be heading to their home in a warmer clime soon) but in the summer I think a 'summer beach colony' atmosphere prevails.

It's a fine area. This part of the Cape always reminds me of the Jersey shore in the summer. A lot of families love these types of 'resorts' though and it might be the perfect setting for your reunion. Sounds like a great time; have fun planning.

Hadley...
Level Contributor
799 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family reunion spot in new england for summer 2010

Calling a realtor is probably a good idea to get a grouping of house/cottages that will suit your needs. Dennisport and West Dennis have really nice beaches with good safe swimming for kids and there are motels nearby for those who want them.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family reunion spot in new england for summer 2010

Dennisport is a good suggestion. Another option is the Lighthouse Inn in West Dennis. I only ate there once several years ago but it is right on the ocean. I would check the reviews on tripadvisor.

http://www.lighthouseinn.com/

You might also consider Ocean's Edge in Brewster. The have main building with rooms and condos that they rent out. Many of the condos can be rented directly from owners for less than from the resort.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: family reunion spot in new england for summer 2010

The following is the website for Ocean's Edge.

www.oceanedge.com/?src=ppc_google_brand

I read some of the tripadvisors reviews for the Lighthouse Inn. The resort might be a little worn (like many cottages and inns on the Cape). The food was just OK when we had dinner several years ago but the view of the ocean from the dining hall was beautiful. It seems like a nice spot for a comfortable family reunion (nothing fancy).

Hadley...
Level Contributor
799 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: family reunion spot in new england for summer 2010

I have been to 2 reunions @ the Lighthouse Inn and people really liked it. The rooms were really nice and of course the location. I thought the food was not so good.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: family reunion spot in new england for summer 2010

Another thought is the Capewind in Falmouth.

http://www.capewind.com/welcome1.html

There is a swimming pool, and large yard for parties. the beach is a short drive away and they have a boat that I think you can use. Call them and check it out. Falmouth is 1 hour and 1/2 from Boston and has something for everyone.

See also these sites: www.falmouthchamber.com

www.falmouthvillageassociation.com

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: family reunion spot in new england for summer 2010

There is a complex in Osterville that I think gets rented out for events like this. I attended something for the Cape Cod Writers Conference there, but I don't think the Writers Conference owns the complex. It's in a beautiful spot, almost like an oasis of green, and there is a very very nice beach about 1 - 2 blocks walk from the complex, plus other things to do.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: family reunion spot in new england for summer 2010

MaxieLu: Do you remember the name of the complex in Osterville?

Hadley...
Level Contributor
799 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: family reunion spot in new england for summer 2010

Probably the Craigville Conference Center:

craigville.org/ConfCenter/ConfCenter.htm