We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Cod or Newport?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Cod or Newport?

My husband and I are 30 years old and are from the San Francisco Bay Area. He is headed to Providence for a business trip at the end of November and I am going to tag along. We are going to have three full days and nights to explore the area. We went to Boston last year and this year we want to try somewhere new. Should we go to Cape Cod or Newport? Or Both? If we choose to do both, which one should we devote two days and which one should we only give one day ? Any recommendations - hotels, restaurants, ect. would be wonderful. Thanks!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,506 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Cod or Newport?

What do you plan on doing? Without knowing what you like to do or see, how can we answer for you? By the way, this also applies to your CC question about what town to stay in.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Cod or Newport?

Newport does not shut down after the summer like many towns on the Cape. I would do Newport, especially where you will be in Providence.

Go thru the Newport forums. Some of the mansions should be open. Thames avenue can take hours to explore.

I would suggest to check out to The Inn at Castle Hill.

Bristol is next door and very nice. You could do two days in Newport and then head to the cape.

Hadley...
Level Contributor
817 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Cod or Newport?

I had a great time in Newport last year on an off season trip. The Cliffwalk is awesome, just bring warm warm clothing. We stayed at The Viking Hotel and liked it. Loved the restaurant Shells and Scales. I am not so sure about 3 full days there at that time of year.

The weather will be about the same on the Cape as in Newport. If you want to walk on beaches, come to the Cape, we have AMAZING beaches. It will be cold but if you are the outdoorsy type you'll like it. We have lots of beautiful towns to stay in, stroll through, shop, enjoy fantastic food. I think the restaurants are better on the Cape. How about a romantic B & B or Inn?

Let us know more details about what you like to do.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Cod or Newport?

Newport is really close to PVD so unless you fancy a lot of driving go to Newport. Cliff Walk, eats, shops, mansions, splendid views, the boat community...museums..

Mashpee, Ma
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Cod or Newport?

If I were making the trek from the West Coast, I would definitely try to fit both Newport & Cape Cod into the itinerary. I would spend a good full day on Newport & then spend the two days on Cape Cod. Depending on such variables as traffic, your driving style, and final Cape destination you can make Providence to Cape Cod in about 60-90 minutes. It is an easy drive.

Newport: We frequently make Newport a day get away. If it is not too chilly, make sure to take a walk along the Cliff Walk. A mansion tour or two or three is a must do! If you only tour one then The Breakers would be the one to see. Marble House & Rosecliff are also very nice. You are coming at the end of November so the mansions may be decorated for the holidays. From the Mansions area, take a scenic coastal drive around Ocean Drive. This is about a 10 mile loop that will bring you back around to the downtown area. It is beautiful drive! Thames Street (the downtown area) has many shops & restaurants. If you want to check out the East Coast wine scene there is a small vineyard called The Newport Winery it is about 5 minutes from Newport in Middleton, RI.

Cape Cod: I would suggest staying in either Falmouth or Chatham. Check out each town here on TA and decide which seems to suit your personal style. Either one will give you a nice Cape Cod experience. They each have a Main Street area that is nice for a walk, shopping, and restaurants. The Cape is very seasonal but each of these towns will still have activity. If you decide on Falmouth, I would check out Inn on the Sound for lodging. If you decide on Chatham, look at The Bradford Inn, The Wayside Inn or The Chatham Bars for lodging.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Cod or Newport?

Great post, mashedpeas! (and a great screen name too! very cute.)

OP: Another nice lodging choice (since it was recently updated) is the Hawthorne Inn on Shore Road. It has lovely water views and beach and is a short walk to Main Street in Chatham.

You can read all about the various Cape towns and villages here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g185492-i369-k2958…

Enjoy!

Boston
Level Contributor
5,971 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Cod or Newport?

I agree with mashedpeas. The Breakers (Vanderbilt mansion) is very nice when dressed up for the holidays!

One thing I would add is, depending on whether you are flying in/out of Boston or Providence is the order you do them. If I was flying in/out of Boston, I would do Newport first then the Cape second and the reverse if flying out of Providence.

8. Re: Cape Cod or Newport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2010, 05:21