We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Cod - The Islands

Collegeville, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Cod - The Islands

We are to attend a wedding the end of July in Cape Cod. The invitation, with detailed information, is yet to come. I like to look up hotel information ahead of time. The only info we have received so far is the date and that the wedding will be held on Cape Cod - the islands.

Would you assume "the islands" means Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard?

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Cod - The Islands

It could mean either or both! Hopefully, you'll get more information soon. A lot of Cape and Island hotels, motels, inns, B&Bs require at least a 3 night minimum during the busiest summer months. If you're joining a group for this wedding and you need a place to stay, it might be most cost effective to rent a house. Almost all house rentals are for a week and go from Sat. to Saturday.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Cod - The Islands

With the info presented, you can't do anything. Why don't you talk to the bride or someone in the know and find out if a block of rooms is being reserved. At least find out what part of the Cape. It would be like inviting me to a wedding in Pennsylanvia and trying to decide where to stay. In this world of Too Much Information, you have too little!!!

Collegeville, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Cod - The Islands

Thank you both for your speedy response. I certainly hope a block of rooms have been put aside. Accomodations are very expensive and hard to obtain on short notice. I didn't want to put pressure on the bride and groom, but I think it would be wise to ask ahead of time for details and not wait for the wedding invitation which most likely will come 6-8 weeks before the actual wedding date.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Cod - The Islands

I'm going to assume they had not yet decided on their wedding site, at the time they sent you what sounds like a "Save the Date" card. With the economic downturn, though, I think there is nothing to panic about. I'll bet you have a wide choice of places for July, for some time to come.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Cod - The Islands

Destination weddings can be difficult to plan and attend. You're lucky the destination is somewhere between the beautiful Cape and Islands! Usually a 'save the date' card is sent that Includes options for hotel reservations when the wedding is taking place in a resort area. Guess you'll have to sit tight for now unless you're comfortable enough asking someone close to the couple for more information.

Collegeville, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Cod - The Islands

MaxieLu - Guess I'm hesitant about asking for all the details because perhaps, as you stated, plans have not been finalized yet. I wouldn't want to put more stress on the couple with my questions.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Cod - The Islands

Mormor: Where are you from?

Collegeville, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Cod - The Islands

Waterbug: You most likely think I am from Sweden because I go by Mormor. For those not in the know, my Swedish grandchildren (my daughter married a Swede) call me Mormor meaning Mother's Mother. I was born in NYC and currently reside outside of Philadelphia, PA.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Cod - The Islands

I would have more quicky acknowledged the connection had your screen name been farmor! (or father's mother). I'm glad you're not trying to plan a trip from Stockholm then. I guess patience will be a virtue here.

Collegeville, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Cod - The Islands

Thought I'd let you know that we have learned that the wedding will be held in Falmouth, MA. We have made reservations at the Shoreway Acres Inn where a block of rooms have been reserved. It seems like a nice accommodation. Thank you all for your input.