We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Cape Cod March 27 - April 1

East Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Cape Cod March 27 - April 1

I live on the west coast (near Seattle) and am heading to Cape Cod with a friend for our spring break (we are both teachers). I have been doing some research to get ready for the trip, but I am especially interested in finding out your favorite places to visit (beaches, historical, restaurants, shopping) during the off season. We will be staying in Harwich Port and plan to devote our week locating interesting nooks and crannies on the Cape. Also, I'd appreciate input on amounts/types of clothing needed during that chilly time of year. Thanks!

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Cape Cod March 27 - April 1

The weather is quite changeable at the end of March, so plan on layers -- a light shirt, warm sweater, and warm jacket to go over those, plus a rain jacket (preferably with a hood, so you won't have to carry an umbrella) for the final layer in case you need it.

For lunch, stop at the Mason Jar in Harwich Port. I recommend the chicken salad sandwich, which they make with dried cranberries and Granny Smith apples -- delish! If it's cold, order the soup of the day. And if you don't have room for the apple strudel, get a piece anyway and enjoy it later.

For a nice dinner, head to the Ocean House in Dennisport. (I'd make reservations in advance and ask for a table overlooking the ocean.)

The shops in downtown Chatham are among my favorite places to hunt for treasures, with the Yellow Umbrella bookshop at the top of the list. Close by, in West Harwich, the Potted Geranium in West Harwich is another good place to find special gifts and keepsakes.

You might plan to spend part of a day in Brewster at the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History, and afterward drive to the herring run & grist mill nearby before getting ice cream at the Brewster Store.

Early spring is a great time to visit the Cape. Have fun!

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Cape Cod March 27 - April 1

Harwich Port is a great town to base yourself. Take the time to meander through historic route 6A and the little lanes and roads that lead to the Cape Cod Bay beaches of Brewster and Eastham. A visit to the National Seashore during the off season is especially nice and their gift shop in the visitors' center is wonderful. Provincetown, more main stream than it has ever been, is a great place for lunch or dinner after you've explored the unique shops and galleries there.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,033 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Cape Cod March 27 - April 1

I don't know if it is in a nook or a crannie but certainly off the beaten path and worth a visit is the untraditional and whimsical Scargo Pottery. (www.scargopottery.com) It's down a path, through the woods (you can drive in) along Scargo Pond. While you are there drive around the lake to the road that leads up to the Scargo Tower and you'll be at the highest point on the Cape for a great view depending on the weather. (Take a map or just enjoy getting lost as you can't go too far wrong.) Then you can drive down 6A and visit bookstores, specialty shops, galleries, boutiques and restaurants. Plan to stop around 134 and 6A and Bass River Rd and 6A where there's a 'campus' of sorts for the arts including the Cape Cod Museum of Art. Around Bass River Rd. both the Lost Dog pub - burgers, chowder and locals - and the Marshside - still casual but more upscale and with a view of the marsh -- are in this area.

As to what to wear, you've got everything that you need in your closet. Just dress like you would in Seattle, in layers. If you want to check what the weather has been historically over your dates on Cape Cod then look at the History Tab at www.wunderground.com

Have fun. I know you will.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Cape Cod March 27 - April 1

I am pretty sure that they don't start serving ice cream at the Brewster store until later in the season, but definitely plan a visit there - lots of fun, old-timey things to look at.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Cape Cod March 27 - April 1

I never knew ice cream was seasonal at the Brewster Store -- thanks for pointing that out, Kendrick.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,033 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Cape Cod March 27 - April 1

Whoops, I just enjoyed some ice cream last night. Was I supposed to wait for a certain date? LOL. Just kidding.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,033 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Cape Cod March 27 - April 1

Dear Teacher, take a look up at the top of the page by your name for a note.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Cape Cod March 27 - April 1

we always mourn the Labor Day closing of the Brewster Scoop and commemorate it with one last cone. . .

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Cape Cod March 27 - April 1

That first scoop will be here before you know it!

10. Re: Visiting Cape Cod March 27 - April 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2010, 07:15