We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1yr Anniversary in Cape Cod

Hoboken, New Jersey
2 posts
Save Topic
1yr Anniversary in Cape Cod

Hello,

I am planning to surprise my wife with a trip to Cape Cod in mid-July to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary. We have never been to the Cape before and I was wondering what the best town(s) would be to stay in. We are a younger couple who would enjoy a cozy downtown feel with shopping and restaurants, with a short distance to the beach. A place with crazy nightlife in not necessary, maybe just a nice area with biking or walking trails, or a place to grab a drink or ice cream cone after dinner.

I was considering Chatham, Brewster, Wellfleet, or Orleans based on information I was able to get online. Please help steer me in the right direction if somewhere else would be better. Thank you for your help!!!!!

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,215 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1yr Anniversary in Cape Cod

Chatham, Orleans and Wellfleet all have quant, walkable town-centers. Brewster has lovely bed and breakfasts along 6A. Perhaps you should consult Google Maps to see the locations of lodging on the lower/outer cape. If you use the satellite feature of the map you will get a pretty good idea of the location of lodging. Then check TA reviews in the towns that interest you for lodging that is highly rated. Do keep in mind that most nice places have minimum stay requirements in July. Chatham has the Wayside Inn in the center of town but it tends to be pricey, Orleans and Wellfleet have limited lodging within walking distance of the restaurants in the charming town centers. You may not see exactly the kind of place you have in mind but I bet you will be thrilled with whatever you end up choosing! The towns on Cape Cod are fairly close together so a short drive from one to another for dinner, sightseeing or shopping is not a big deal.

If you decide to stay near the Cape Cod National Seashore on the outer cape from Eastham to Wellfleet and are looking for dinner etc recommendations, just let me know. I love the place!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,826 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1yr Anniversary in Cape Cod

The entire Cape is full in the summer giving testimony to the popularity of each town. Having said that I like your list in the reverse order that you posted it or maybe I would move Chatham to #3 on that reverse list since there's no real 'town' feel in Brewster at least not the same as the other three that you mentioned.

Why not start looking around Orleans? If you want to make the surprise even more special and romantic then check into renting the cottage or one of the rooms at Fort Hill B & B which I believe is in Eastham on the Outer Cape.

You're a peach to set up this wonderful surprise.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1yr Anniversary in Cape Cod

Personally, I think Chatham is perfect for you, but it sounds like you should focus on staying close to the town center. From there, yes, you can walk to a major beach and also other coastline. Check out the Cranberry Inn. it is right between the "downtown" and Lighthouse Beach, a really spectacular location. There is a lot to do in the town and outside of town. If you like baseball at all, look in to the Cape Cod League baseball games -- pure Americana.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1yr Anniversary in Cape Cod

I also think Chatham would be a very nice place to spend this milestone. I would consider this as my first choice.

There are many inns and B&B's in Chatham and a few are either right in the town center or within a short walk or drive. The Bow House is an interesting place to stay and it isn't advertised very often. That might work for you both. This inn is a quick walk to Oyster Pond and to the pretty little shops and ice cream parlors in downtown Chatham. Congratulations by the way. CCJ

Hoboken, New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1yr Anniversary in Cape Cod

Thanks to everyone for their great information! I will spend the next few days doing as much research on the places recommended as possible. Is there any other places that I should consider researching or should I stick to Wellfleet, Orleans, and Chatham?

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1yr Anniversary in Cape Cod

You might want to look at Eastham and Falmouth too. My first choice would be Chatham.

London, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1yr Anniversary in Cape Cod

I also vote for Chatham, if you want to make it "special".

Chatham Bars Inn is beautiful (and pricey), and an easy walk into town. Views of the Atlantic are spectacular and afternoon tea or drinks on the veranda are a must do even if you don't stay at the hotel.

Wayside Inn is charming, but right on Main St. (crowds)

Cranberry Inn is very nice, too!

Chatham has loads of charm, nice beaches, good restaurants and a great Main St.. for after dinner strolling.

8. Re: 1yr Anniversary in Cape Cod

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 05:17