We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we bother with Cape Cod at all?

London
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should we bother with Cape Cod at all?

I am joining my husband in Boston on 21st July, exploring Boston for one day on my own while he works, and then catching the ferry to Cape Cod on Friday 23rd for 2 nights. I really want to stay in a traditional inn, but am finding it very hard to find anywhere nice to stay for just two nights (most inns have 3 or 4 days min). I'm also concerned that it's just going to be so busy that it wont be the relaxing weekend we are hoping for!

So, my question is, should we stay put in Boston or are there any nice B&B's outside Boston from which we can explore the cape by car (and who let us stay for 2 nights!)

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Carrie

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we bother with Cape Cod at all?

If you want to spend some time on the ocean or relaxing on one of the Cape's really nice beaches (on the National Seashore, on the ocean side) then I would suggest just staying in a cheap motel someplace in Eastham or North Truro for a couple of nights.

On the other hand, if you really want to experience staying in an upscale B&B it sounds like you can't do that for just two nights. I am personally not really into the upscale B&B thing myself (not that there's anything wrong with that). To me the reason to go to the Cape is to spend the day on the beach and the evening in Provincetown, and where I sleep isn't all that important to me.

when you say "catching the ferry" do you mean taking the boat to Provincetown?

London
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we bother with Cape Cod at all?

Yes - to ferry Provincetown. I have found a lovely B&B which is opening soon in Falmouth, who will do the two nights, but can you hire a car in Provincetown? I quite fancy hiring a car from Boston but hear that it is hell getting back to Boston on Sunday afternoon and don't want to miss our flight!

cape cod
Level Contributor
186 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we bother with Cape Cod at all?

I've never stayed at the Fernbrook or David KellyInn on Main Street Centerville but they both look really nice, they don't appear to have a minimum stay and you can walk to Craigville beach, 4 Sea's Ice cream, a few small stores. They are in a great central location on the Cape. I wrote an article on Centerville last year for my blog. Links listed below:

http://fernbrookinn.com/

www.captaindavidkelleyhouse.com/home.html

undergroundcapecod.com/2009/08/downtown-cent…

Susan

UndergroundCapeCod.com

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,234 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we bother with Cape Cod at all?

If you have time to call around to some of the B+Bs you are interested in you may find that some of them have a 2-night slot on the weekend you need and that they will gladly take your reservation. But you will need to call as this type of vacancy breaks the minimum night "rule" that the on-line booking was designed to handle.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we bother with Cape Cod at all?

I doubt there's a car rental agency in Provincetown but you can certainly google that. If you don't mind driving on the wrong side of the road, I wouldn't hesitate to rent a car in Boston to take to the Cape. If your alternative is to take the Ferry to Provincetown on a Friday, I am inferring that you would leaving for the cape earlier in the day, and not during the rush hour. In my experience, traffic to and from the cape is greatly exaggerated. You probably do want to leave relatively early on Sunday morning however.

I know that "Cape Cod" has a certain world-wide reputation and if it's something you've always wanted to see, by all means see it, but although it's nice, there are lots of nice coastal communities in New England, many of which to my mind are actually more quaint, like Rockport, Newburyport, and Ogunquit (Maine).

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,189 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we bother with Cape Cod at all?

Yes, definately 'bother' to book a room somewhere on the Cape. It could be the highlight of your US visit.

If you find accommodations that you really like then consider booking three nights even if you only use two.

Check with Enterprise car rentals if you arrive into Provincetown by ferry. They are located in Orleans but advertise that they will pick you up.

They, Alamo, Dollar, Budget, Avis, Hertz are all located at Logan airport too and Enterprise is just about on every corner in Boston too inside hotels etc. So you can book the car and just be free to drive to/from the Cape and all around anywhere that might interest you. That's what I would recommend as long as you are comfortable driving in the US.

I realize that you might not want to make international calls to various Cape hotels. If you want to select your top picks you can send me your reservation information (ie: your names) and I'll call and see if I can get you a 2-night stay. Just contact me via private message with your info.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we bother with Cape Cod at all?

If you and your husband have never been to Boston, I would plan on spending your whole time there. You could always make a day trip to Provincetown if you wish, but you'll have plenty of things to see and do in Boston itself. That way, it's no hassles with timing, traffic or anything else.

London
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we bother with Cape Cod at all?

Thanks so much for all your help. I have now booked The Captains Manor Inn in Falmouth (newly renovated, so fingers crossed!). We are taking the ferry over to Provincetown and hiring a car.

I'll let you know how we do!

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we bother with Cape Cod at all?

I don't want to rain on your parade but I think most of the other posters here will agree with me that your ferry and rental car idea is not well-advised. It will take you as long to drive from Ptown to Falmouth as it would to drive from Boston to Falmouth. I would strongly encourage you to rent a car in Boston and drive to Falmouth. As someone else said, the Cape traffic is overstated somewhat with Saturday being the bad day in the summer. If you let us know when your flight leaves Logan, we can help you figure out when to start driving back.

I have just found another option (which I will research a bit more and get back here with info). You can take a Peter Pan bus from Boston to Falmouth (59 Depot road) and then from Falmouth to Boston Logan. If the location is close to your B&B (that's what I'll check), this would seem to be the best option. Forget the car completely! Of course, you then won't see as much of the Cape but you will get a flavor for it in Falmouth and can do more relaxing.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we bother with Cape Cod at all?

I think you are in a great location for the bus and the town of Falmouth. The bus depot for Peter Pan buslines is less than 1/2 mile from the inn. And it appears that there are many shops and restaurants nearby. Hopefully Mainstreetman will come on and give some good suggestions.

So I would forget the ferry to Ptown and just take the bus to Falmouth and enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod