We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas on the Cape

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
297 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas on the Cape

Me and my boyfriend are considering the Cape for Christmas/New Year's. Does anyone have any idea of what it's like in terms of weather/places to stay/things to do? Neither of us drive so we'd rely on public transport to get around if we wanted to visit different towns. Any ideas/tips/thoughts would be most welcome!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas on the Cape

I never thought I'd say this, but I think a visit to the Cape is really not a good idea. There is very little going on, unless you have family there. Sure some restaurants and shops are open but it is not the time to visit, especially without a car. There is also not much in the way of public transportation. Why not come to Boston? Plenty to do, and excellent public transportation. Most hotels have great prices Christmas week, with the exception of New Year's Eve, but even then you can find some reasonable prices/

Edited: 16 June 2010, 00:42
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas on the Cape

Agreed.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,399 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas on the Cape

Kendrick is right.

You might hear the cape in December is quiet and magnificant in a wild-nature sort of way. IAnd it is ... but it can be cold and windy and sometimes the wind at the ocean's edge is harsh ... personally even WITH a car, I'd be hard pressed to fill a week's vacation on the Cape in December. There is very little public transportation and some of it ONLY runs between May and September.

I agree with the others -- see Boston. Or perhaps a resort in the Carribean might be more to your liking?

Edited: 16 June 2010, 04:03
South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
581 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas on the Cape

I've been here a few times close to Christmas and yes, it's pretty much dead around here! A car would be a must...

and what you can do really depends on the weather...here in Chatham, we have a well known First Night on New Year's Eve -- events, concerts, fireworks, etc...but...its also been cancelled due to snow!

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas on the Cape

Many of the Cape towns will be decorated in such a way that will remind you of a Currier and Ives painting. I don't think the Cape is particularly desolate at Christmas but you'll need a car to get around. The weather is generally awful in December. First Night in Chatham was cancelled recently because of bad weather.

Have you considered getting yourselves to Nantucket instead? At least you could walk around downtown and it's highly decorated. I can't imagine what the ferry ride would be like though at that time of year. Maybe the Nantucket Chamber of Commerce has information about their holiday events online.

cape cod
Level Contributor
186 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas on the Cape

Nantucket has a great Christmas stroll but it is before the actual holiday and I can tell you by experience that they boat ride over can be a lot of rockin and rollin.

My first vote goes with whoever said a resort in the Caribbean.

Second would be Boston or NYC (actually I'd go to NYC for the holiday).

The Cape around the holiday is quiet and there is NOT much going on and if you have to rely on public transport you are far better off in Boston or NYC.

Susan

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
297 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas on the Cape

Guys

Thanks for the advice. I've done NYC and Boston before so they're out. Was hoping to do somewhere more quiet and scenic but the weather and bus situ sounds pretty crap at that time of year so it's back to the drawing board. Maybe Texas...

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas on the Cape

if you want a quaint New England Christmas and don't want to stay in Boston - try Portland, Maine. Beautiful small city on the water, lots to do and public transportation.

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
297 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas on the Cape

Kendrick that's not a bad idea! I'll look into it. Best maybe to fly into Boston and then travel up there after a few days?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas on the Cape

yes, you can take a train from Boston's North Station, right to Portland on Amtrak: www.amtrak.com Some great restaurants, pubs, music and galleries there.