We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Great week in the Cape June 2010

New York
Level Contributor
50 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Great week in the Cape June 2010

Just returned from our first trip to Cape Cod and we had a great time. My husband and I stayed at the Sea Mist Resort in Mashpee, which is right around the corner from the Mashpee Commons shopping center.

The resort was clean, in an easy location to travel to much of the Cape, and we enjoyed the pool and tennis court.

Since the first few days of the trip had cloudy, cool weather, we spent those days driving to various towns. I was disappointed that there wasn't as much to see or eat in Woods Hole or Falmouth as the guidebooks said there would be, and parking is tough in Woods Hole even before the high tourist season. We had a good lunch at Wicked Fresh Quicks Hole in Woods Hole, and I enjoyed my first ever lobster tacos. We also drove up to Provincetown, which was fun (though also impossible to park), stopped in pretty Brewster on the way back, went up to Sandwich (not much to do but also scenic), looked at beautiful mansions (from the outside) in Osterville, and the only town we didn’t care for was Hyannis. Perhaps we missed something (like the upscale part?) in Hyannis, but Main Street was pretty crummy, and not in a charming ramshackle beach town kind of way.

The beaches we visited when the weather improved were:

Race Point (near Provincetown) – huge, beautiful, a trek way uphill to the bathrooms, saw a seal in the water!

Cahoon Hollow (near Wellfleet) – incredible, steep, gorgeous dunes, water too cold and waves way too high to swim but fun to watch surfers – didn’t see any bathrooms

South Cape Beach (Mashpee) – small beach with nice views but so filled with seaweed there was little sand and several yards of thick seaweed to get through if you wanted to swim

Craigville Beach (near Osterville/ Centerville) – just perfect! Water was shallow for a ways out and just barely warm enough to get in on a hot day. Very clean, clear water, bathrooms and a couple of snack places right there. Big parking lot, but get in early!

A note about the beaches: most charge $7 - $15 to park and none we visited were close enough to a town to park on main street and walk to. Not a big deal, especially because most didn’t bother to charge us during the week and before tourist season, but I imagine this adds up if you’re paying every day you’re on the Cape. If you can stay within walking distance to a beach and you’ll go at least a few days, do it!

We like to eat and drink. Here’s where we did that:

Since Mashpee Commons was so close, we went there several times. The tapas place was so-so and pricey, Wicked Fire Pizza was horrible and had chain restaurant décor with TVs in every booth (who goes out to dinner to watch TV?) and forgetful servers, and Bobby Byrne’s Pub became our second home. Good menu for a pub, friendly bartenders, laid back, great place to hang out. Ate dinner there one night and hung out for a beer several times. They have a big dining room next to the bar room and plenty of families and older folks ate there.

Our best meal by far was the Brewster Fish House (in Brewster). Go there. It’s a bit pricey but delish. It’s small, service was great, food is awesome. We had lunch at touristy Pepe’s in Provincetown but it was fine and the outside deck overlooking the harbor was pretty. Tasty sandwiches were consumed at Pain D’Avignon in Hyannis near the airport. Disgusting fried seafood was had at Cooke’s Seafood in Mashpee (I pictured cute fish shack, it felt like McDonalds with fish).

As mentioned previously, Bobby Byrnes was great for a drink or easy dinner. We also went to Dino’s Sports Bar (get a drink but don’t eat there on Styrofoam plates), and the horribly TGIFridays-like 99 pub. This one was tough to spot, but the Hemisphere bar/club/restaurant was a great place to get a drink on the deck over the bay. It’s in Sandwich off the beaten path. There’s a tiny sign next to a railroad track and if you miss it, you’re out of luck.

Lastly, we took the 35 min Ocean Queen ferry ride from Falmouth to Martha’s Vineyard. It was great! The ferries from Woods Hole and Hyannis run more often but are more of a pain to drive to. The Falmouth ferry is just off the main road and was very easy. I can’t say enough about how beautiful Martha’s Vineyard is, and if we had more than an afternoon to spend there, I would have stayed. Cottages were very cool in Oak Bluffs, took the public bus 15 min to Edgartown and had a yummy lunch at The Newes in America, looked at estates on the beautiful beaches, and really enjoyed the side trip. Overall, a great time in the Cape!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Great week in the Cape June 2010

thanks for an excellent TR! sounds like you were able to experience a lot different parts of the Cape, and managed a trip to the Vineyard! come back again soon.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Great week in the Cape June 2010

Glad you enjoyed the Sea Mist Resort. We own there and can hardly wait to go in August.

Mashpee is a central location and all tourist areas are an easy drive.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
830 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Great week in the Cape June 2010

Great trip report! I couldn't agree with you more about Cooke's seafood. I also agree with you about Hyannis. Main St. has gone downhill the past few years, though I like visiting The Spectrum gallery and always have enjoyed romantic dinners at Albertos. Glad yo enjoyed your first trip to the Cape!

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Great week in the Cape June 2010

Kind of a mixed bag, then? I hope you'll come back and base yourselves in another part of the Cape that may suit you better. I think Falmouth, Chatham and Provincetown have lovely downtown areas, but I also really like Main St. Hyannis. Perhaps it hasn't been gussied up to be a tourist draw but there are excellent restaurants on Main Street as well as the Kennedy Museum.

For others visiting during a shoulder season: There's almost always plenty of parking in Provincetown on macmillan wharf and also at the base of the monument.

ebnyc: I haven't tried a lobster taco, but I bet I'd like it!

cape cod
Level Contributor
186 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Great week in the Cape June 2010

Interesting report! I'm not sure what it is you are looking for in a town but you said Falmouth, Woods Hole, Sandwich and Hyannis didn't fit the bill.

It's too bad Main Street in Hyannis isn't... better, either ramshackle the way some beach towns are or more polished, either/or would be an improvement in my book. But I think in this economy landlords will rent to anyone who will occupy their space and they don't much care what sort of business it is. Hence tattoo parlors, t shirt shops, adult store... But scattered among them are a couple of good galleries, good food, gifts, clothing, music....

My favorite beach is Sandy Neck.. 7 miles of barrier dunes and beach. I like Craigville too for entertainment! I agree with your review of the Brewster Fish House, its fantastic.

Susan

www.UndergroundCapeCod.com

6. Re: Trip Report - Great week in the Cape June 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2010, 06:17