We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Cod with a 3 year-old

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cape Cod with a 3 year-old

Hi,

We are heading down to the Cape for 4 days in mid-July. We have an energetic and easily bored 3 year-old with us. We will be staying at Ocean Edge in Brewster but wouldn't mind having some other places to visit for half-days or full day excursions. Would MV or Nantucket be worthwhile? Can we easily get around the islands without cars or do we need to bring our car and reserve a ferry? Also, kid-friendly and Cape-unique suggested restaurants are greatly appreciated!

Merci!

Sylvie

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Cod with a 3 year-old

You'll have your car with you while on the Cape, right? This seems essential. To get to MV or Nantucket, you will want to drive to the appropriate ferry point, but then you can park your car there and walk on to each ferry. In fact, it's such a big deal to bring cars over, it's expensive and it's hard to get ferry reservations. Once over on MV (which I know a lot better) you can do the following: Explore the town where the ferry comes in (they go into Oak Bluffs, but also into Vineyard Haven, it's all on the schedule). If you want, take a taxi to get to another town for further exploring. Since the Wood's Hole ferries use two ports, make sure to note which town you need to go to, in order to board the ferry for your return. I would suggest you do both parts of your ferry trip using Oak Bluffs. I think this is probably the most fun to explore with a small child. It has a famous old carousel, for one thing, and the ferry terminal is interesting, and it has the amazing gingerbread cottages. Plus lots of casual restaurants, ice cream, etc. And you can keep your trip quite simple this way. One other kid-friendly idea for you back on the Cape. If you are heading towards Chatham, stop by the Town Pier (it has parking). Look for the stairs going up to an observation deck, overlooking the harbor. You can (probably) see seals quite close to the shore, right under you. They hang out because it's a fish processing area. There are also seal boat tours, out of I think Dennis or Chatham -- once on the Cape you'll see brochures everywhere for the boat tours and other attractions. Have fun!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,162 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Cod with a 3 year-old

Forget the islands. Edaville Railroad!!

http://www.edaville.com/

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Cod with a 3 year-old

Stay on the Cape if you are only going for 4 days. Plenty to see and do without the hassle of dragging a 3 year old around, waiting for ferries etc.

CT
Level Contributor
112 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Cod with a 3 year-old

Cape Cod is great for toddlers! There are so many things to do! In my opinion, you can't maneuver around the cape without a car. Since you're staying in Brewster, you'll have to check out the Brewster General Store. It's in a neat 19th century building. It has a great penny candy section that I bet your child will love! There's also a great ice cream store right next door. Go into Chatham and walk around. There are great little shops that are fun to explore. Head over to the Chatham section of Nauset Beach and look at the wonderful lighthouse. You have to go into Provincetown and go on a whale watch. It's a great time spotting all the whales. If you're going to go on a whale watch, I think the best company for families is Dolphin Fleet. There is a marine biologist on board that tells all about the whales. The Pirate museum in P-town is great for toddlers! It's very interesting and has great displays. I think the best attraction for little kids in all of Cape Cod is Pirate Adventures. At Pirate Adventures, you go out on a pirate ship and you actually become a pirate! The little ones help raise the flag and spray the water cannons at all of the bad pirates. Pirate Adventures sets out from Orleans and Hyannis. For restaurants, Laurino's in Brewster is great. There's a kids menu for little kids and great Italian food for the adults. Outside of the restaurant there's a playground and on certain nights there's a bounce house. One of my favorite restaurants on the cape is Land Ho! The atmosphere is fun with old signs posted on the ceiling and walls. There's also a few arcade games like pac man and pin ball. Have a great vacation!

Methuen
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
530 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Cod with a 3 year-old

There is a little magazine - kids on the cape - readily available at most hotels or visitor centers etc . Also the weeks calendar magazine comes out once a week.

Ideas

Check out

Pirate cruises - there is one in Hyannis - one in Provincetown

Stop at Christmas tree shop and see if you can get a pirate hat et.

Go down to the fish pier in Chatham and see the seals and watch the boats come in

Some of the theatres have children's shows that run in the afternoon .

Trampolines in Harwich they are on the ground.

One of the Bay side beaches at low tide -

Check out the music on the green - sponsored by Citizen bank - some evenings are geared to children

There a many restaurants the welcome children - with children's menu

I would not go to Nantucket or MV with a 3 year old.

CT
Level Contributor
112 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Cod with a 3 year-old

Also, you should definitely go to a Brewster beach at low-tide. Brewster has the lowest low-tide in all of North America! Your little toddler will love waddling around the flats looking at all the shells. You should bring a frisbee or a soccer ball to play with. He/she will love building castles in the sand! You can't miss the Wellfleet Drive-In. They usually have a kid friendly movie playing each week. While you're there, Toy Story 3 might be playing and any child would love that! Another kid friendly restaurant is the Lobster Claw in Orleans. It's set in a big building with a nautical theme. There's great seafood, but there's also a kids menu. Have a fun time!

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Cod with a 3 year-old

Re:Edaville Railroad. Is that nearby?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,162 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Cod with a 3 year-old

My earliest childhood memories of going to the Cape are visiting the Edaville Railroad, which apparently is in Carver (I haven't been there since probably 1956). I'm not sure if that's really considered as being on the Cape, but it's close by.

cape cod
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Cod with a 3 year-old

pirate water war was fun. www.piratesofthebaywhitepearl.com, its in yarmouth next to the resorts on parkers river. they are tied up at skippy's restaurant, and the foods pretty good there too come to think of it.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Cod with a 3 year-old

You've been given lots of good suggestions....I'll just add to that.

Ocean edge will be a great place for the three of you. Definitely check out low tide on your first day. Kids that age love it and you may have found your entertainment for the rest of the trip.

Cape Cod Museum of Natural History in Brewster has wonderful displays and a great hike/walk to the bay.

Go biking on the CC Rail trail. It runs right through OE. You can rent from the bike shop on Underpass road. Get one of those trailor things for your child.

Go candlepin bowling at Orleans Bowling Center in Orleans if you get icky weather. We started our kids at that age and with the bumpers it works.

Laurino's is perfect for dinner. JT's in Brewster works well too. Land Ho a great idea (perfect place to play "I Spy"...trust me, I know!). Most anywhere on the Cape will cater to kids.

Tanglewood Marionnette show at the Universalist Church in Brewster several days a week. Unique and entertaining.

Whale watch is o.k. but it's 3 hours long and I remember it was a bit challenging keeping my kids interested on the ride out and back. Take a game, coloring book etc.

Climb theh Pilgrim Monument in Ptown. It'sa series of ramps, not stairs, (except at the very top). We have a grea picture of our then 3 and 5 1/2 year olds after they climbed it 10 years ago. They feel very accomplished when they do it.

So you can see that there's no need to go to an island. Too much hassle with a little one (IMO). Nantucket's the easiest to get to from Brewster (via Freedom boat in H'port) but it will be boring once you get there.

Have a blast!