We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a car necessary on the Cape?

New York City
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Is a car necessary on the Cape?

I'm coming in from NYC and like a true NY'er I do not drive, so would I be able to do things there? Are there local markets where I could buy fresh seafood to make myself? Are there hotels w/ kitchenettes where I can cook said meals? Thaks!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a car necessary on the Cape?

You really do need a car. Pretend NYC was 90 miles long and had no subway and poor public transport. Also, I believe there is an ordinance prohibiting stoves in hotels, motels etc and who wants fresh seafood out of a microwave- except a NYer who doesn't drive, maybe.

Constructive suggestions- 1 meet a friend who drives.

2. bus to woods hole and go to MV. If you stay in Oak Bluffs or any of the towns, you won't need a car and the public transport is better.

3. Stay in Falmouth or Hyannis which are not the quaintest of Cape Cod villages but at least you are near restaurants, supermarkets, etc and rent a bike to get to the beach.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a car necessary on the Cape?

I think NYC4life really thinks Cape Cod IS NYC. It's not! You can't just walk to a local market to buy fresh seafood. I think you really do need a city instead.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a car necessary on the Cape?

yes it is.

New York City
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a car necessary on the Cape?

I was under the impression that it would be easy to rent an apartment or house for a week or long weekend, guess not?

Thanks for your help.

New York City
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a car necessary on the Cape?

Maybe I'll just go to Boston, what's it like in the Summer? Hot and humid like the rest of the east coast?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a car necessary on the Cape?

Hold it a second. You can rent a house for a week - not a weekend.

But you still have the getting around issue.

What is boston like in the summer- pretty much like NYC (only better)

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a car necessary on the Cape?

Good for you for trying to get out of the city this summer. Take a look at this downtown Chatham rental on Home Away:

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p105734

Staying in downtown Chatham puts you within walking distance of the beach, theatre, baseball games, outdoor concerts, shopping, restaurants, and a grocery store. There are other towns on Cape Cod that will give you the same type of downtown amenities. One of them is Provincetown, which can be reached by passenger ferry from Boston.

Edited: 29 June 2010, 01:46
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is a car necessary on the Cape?

Before the invention of the automobile, the cape was pretty much uninhabitable. It's why the pilgrims left - no gas stations.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is a car necessary on the Cape?

Martha's vineyard might work however. Actually so would province town. iPad insists that's two words, Provincetown.

Edited: 29 June 2010, 02:24
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
702 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is a car necessary on the Cape?

You can come to Cape Cod without a car, but your options for sightseeing will be quite limited and you would have to be pretty creative in terms of getting around. There is a public bus system - check out www.capecodtransit.org - but it does not go everywhere (by any stretch) and the waits between buses can be long, especially by New York standards.

Some of the more pedestrian-friendly places are Provincetown, at the very tip of the Cape, and Falmouth, which is closer to the mainland.

Most house rentals are weekly, Saturday-to-Saturday. Some landlords might have a little more flexibility, but that is the norm.

I think you might have a lot more fun on Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket, which have walkable town centers, good public transportation systems and bike paths. You could get to shops, restaurants, beaches, etc. through some combination of walking, biking, buses and taxis.

There are buses from NYC to Woods Hole (for MV) and Hyannis (for Nantucket), or you can fly right to Nantucket from JFK.

If you're curious about Boston, another way to go would be to come here for a few days and then take the high-speed ferry to Provincetown for a taste of Cape Cod, either as a day-trip or staying over for a few nights.