We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August weekend wedding in Cape Cod

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
August weekend wedding in Cape Cod

We will be attending an evening wedding in Cape Cod on a Saturday in late August. This means we'll be arriving on Saturday afternoon and leaving on Sunday, which seems to be the worst of all possible times to arrive and depart. We have a 6 PM flight out of Providence RI and should be there by 4 PM. Normally it would be a 1.5 hour drive. How much extra time should be allowed on a Sunday afternoon? I haven't found a place to stay yet, but it's going to be close to Centerville, I hope.

I had hoped to get at least a little time to relax before we head back, but that's beginning to look problematic. We can't spend an extra day, because my daughter has to teach her first classes of the semester on Monday morning.

I would also appreciate advice on where to stay. A lot of places I've looked at won't allow children, and my five-year-old granddaughter will be with us. In fact, I've also noticed more than a little hostility to children in some of the topics I've read on the Cape Cod forums. It's rather surprising to someone who lives in Italy, where children are welcomed everywhere.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August weekend wedding in Cape Cod

How late in August? The last week of August is traditionally a bit quieter and you may have more luck finding accommodations for one night. August is high season and many places will not take one night on a Saturday. Centerville is not far from Hyannis where you will have several hotels/motels to choose from. The larger hotels would be most likely to have accommodations suitable for a family traveling with a child, so start by looking at the reviews here on TA. I have never stayed in Hyannis so I can not make a recommendation. Perhaps others will chime in.

I would plan on a 2 hour trip from Centerville to Providence, RI and then build in time to return your rental and check in. I would be on the road by 1:30 to make sure I had enough time.

Edited: 23 July 2010, 02:21
Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August weekend wedding in Cape Cod

Opps sorry, I see the wedding is in Centerville. Start by looking for accommodations in Hyannis. Perhaps some of the larger hotels will have a single night available for your family. Keep in mind that August is still high season and lodging is in demand.

I am sorry you felt that there was hostility toward children. Actually, Cape Cod is a very family friendly place and there are many lodging choices that are designed for families with children. I have never stayed in Hyannis so I can not make a recommendation. Perhaps others will chime in.

As for your trip to the airport...I would leave Centerville around 1:30pm to ensure check-in by 4:00pm after dropping off a rental car.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August weekend wedding in Cape Cod

How late in August? The last week of August is traditionally a bit quieter and you may have more luck finding accommodations for one night. August is high season and many places will not take one night on a Saturday. Centerville is not far from Hyannis where you will have several hotels/motels to choose from. The larger hotels would be most likely to have accommodations suitable for a family traveling with a child, so start by looking at the reviews here on TA. I have never stayed in Hyannis so I can not make a recommendation. Perhaps others will chime in.

I would plan on a 2 hour trip from Centerville to Providence, RI and then build in time to return your rental and check in. I would be on the road by 1:30 to make sure I had enough time.

Edited: 23 July 2010, 02:21
Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August weekend wedding in Cape Cod

Edited: 23 July 2010, 02:22
The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: August weekend wedding in Cape Cod

Often,in many destinations, B&Bs don't allow children under 12 years old and some don't allow kids at all.

I haven't read anything on the Cape Cod forum that would even remotely be 'anti-child'! Everyone here seems to really enjoy helping families with children plan their trips.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August weekend wedding in Cape Cod

Children are notoriously bad drivers, and can cause all kinds of traffic problems, particularly on the Cape. I hate to make such a blanket statement about a minority group but I believe the fact it is illegal for children to drive bears me out.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: August weekend wedding in Cape Cod

Hello,

I'm also a little confused by your saying there's hostility shown towards children on the Cape Cod forum. Cape Cod is a HUGE summertime, family destination spot. Probably 75% of all visitors on the Cape are families. Maybe you read some posts that Provincetown MAY be somewhat inappropriate for children as it's a mostly adult oriented Cape Cod town? I would love to see all these posts you mention.

Cape Cod has MANY, MANY, MANY places to stay that welcome children. That said, there are Bed & Breakfasts throughout the Cape that cater only to adults. Hey, the adults sometimes need a quiet, place to getaway from the children, right? And most of the Bed & Breakfasts on Cape Cod have rooms with one bed only.

Back to your dilemma.

Why not just stay at the Courtyard in Hyannis? It has rooms available on Saturday the 28th. You can reserve a room with 2 beds, and you'll be all set. Centerville will only be about 5 miles from this hotel. Might take you 10-20 minutes to get there depending on traffic.

marriott.com/hotels/…

I agree that you want to get on your way to the airport in Warwick (PVD) no later then 2PM on Sunday.

Have a nice trip to the Cape!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August weekend wedding in Cape Cod

Thanks for all the advice. Perhaps the traffic is not as bad as I had imagined after reading some of the old posts on this forum, which talked about 2-3 hour bottlenecks just to get off the Cape. The wedding is the last weekend in August, so perhaps it will be a little quieter?

As for the children, I had just finished going through a list of B&Bs, *none* of which accepted children under 8 years old, and most of which had age limits of 12, but many of which welcomed pets. This, to me, seemed very strange. Then, immediately after, I saw a post that recommended going to the Cape in September when there were no children there. Maybe seeing this recommendation so soon after looking for the B&Bs coloured my judgement. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted these signals. As I said, any such idea would be unimaginable where I live.

I've found that the Old Landing Inn in Dennisport has rooms for our date; does anyone have an opinion on that?

Edited: 23 July 2010, 08:18
boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August weekend wedding in Cape Cod

Although the Old Landing Motel gets good reviews here on TA, I don't think staying in Dennisport for a Centerville wedding is a great idea. It will take you a least 30 minutes, many stop lights and lots of traffic to get to the wedding. Staying in Hyannis is a much better idea as you would be less than 10 minutes from the wedding. I might suggest differently if I thought you were going to have more time to enjoy the beach, see some sights, but this sounds like a quick in and out trip.

When is the wedding on Saturday and where are you driving from to get there? Traffic on Saturday may be a bigger concern than on Sunday, depending on your departure time.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: August weekend wedding in Cape Cod

I think traffic will indeed be a bit of an issue the last weekend in August. Allow yourself plenty of time to make it from point A to point B. If I were you, I'd leave the Cape for the airport right after breakfast on Sunday.

I think the 'no kids' posts really reference the fact that there are times when there are less families on the Cape which simply means less crowds. Also, people without kids may appreciate knowing where they can stay to have a quiet stay or a couples stay. Nothing against kids at all! Cape Cod is a perfect family destination but not all lodgings are equipped to accomodate small children. There are plenty of options for hotels for families with children though, that's for sure.

Edited: 23 July 2010, 12:25