We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Cape Cod

Ontario
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
First Time to Cape Cod

My husband and I are planning a trip to cape cod for our 25 wedding anniversary. We have never been there before but we do know we want to be on the beach and close to different restaurants and shops.

Any suggestions?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,197 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Cape Cod

With that much detail, the best advice is to put "anniversary" in the search box above and you will find pages of advice for anniversary suggestions- many for 25th, if that makes a difference- at all times of the year since we don't know when that date will occur, how long the trip is, how much you want to spend, type of preferred lodging, type of food, and on and on and on.

Ontario
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to Cape Cod

We will be arriving the third week in Aug for 5 nights. Looking to spend around 200 per night oceanfront.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to Cape Cod

Right on the beach, 3rd week of August, $200/night? That is going to be difficult to find.

What dates are you coming? Aug 16-21? That would be very helpful since many of the places will most likely be booked or well over your budget. But I'll look around for you.

Ontario
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to Cape Cod

Thanks we were really just asking what area of cape cod is best to stay in as far as beaches, restaurants and shopping?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,197 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time to Cape Cod

would you settle for 2nd best? Best for whom? Seriously, thousands of posts with lots of ideas. Cape has about 180 miles of shoreline not including all the nooks and crannies. Please try to narrow it down a little. You are likely to find under $200 per night off the beach so what are you willing to compromise.

Just for kicks, I found this website for falmouth which lists lodging options, location (waterfront or not) and prices.

http://www.falmouthvisitor.com/lodging.htm

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time to Cape Cod

Hi, there 15 towns on the Cape, all with beautiful beaches, nice shops & restaurants. Some favorites among regular posters & Cape DE's are Falmouth, Dennis, Eastham, Chatham & Brewster. There is a "Top Question" here on the CC forum page "Which Town?" that has lots of good descriptions so you can get a sense of what each has to offer. I am assuming you will have a car, so even if you are based in one town, you will be able to visit others/

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,049 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time to Cape Cod

Orleans is where we stay. Lots of restaurants, shopping, two beautiful beaches, Nauset on the ocean and Skaket on the Bay. Well located for going in any direction for sightseeing. About 30 minutes to Provincetown, Hyannis, about 15 minutes into Chatham. All the beaches of the National Seashore, which stretches from Eastham up to Provincetown, to choose from. Because of very strict building regulations there are almost no places to stay right on the ocean/bay.

Wherever you choose to stay you will never be more than a few minutes away from a beach.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time to Cape Cod

Why not make it a really special visit and stay at Fort Hill B&B in Eastham? It's not 'on' the water but there are lovely water views. This is the only lodging choice that's actually in the National Seashore. I don't know what their availability is like, and the least expensive room is $245.00, but this price includes breakfast. I don't think there's tax on this either, but ask to confirm. TA is advertising an 'Exclusive Offer' for a $25.00 discount on the Nantucket Cottage at Fort Hill and they had days in August available that included the 16th through the 21st, if I read that right. This b&b is a short drive to really nice restaurants and the shops in Wellfleet, Provincetown, Orleans and Chatham. It's worth sending off an email or giving them a call.

http://www.forthillbedandbreakfast.com/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g41555-d267425-…

Edited: 23 July 2010, 21:12
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,463 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time to Cape Cod

Happy Anniversary! While not as special as someplace like Fort Hill B&B you can still celebrate within you budget in an ocean front room in mid-Cape Dennisport IF accommodations are still available at motels like this: http://www.colonybeachmotel.com/

Read about the various towns under Top Questions and see if this beach village will work for you. Let me know if you want to know more about Dennis. Good luck.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time to Cape Cod

My brother found a place on the beach that fits the bill. You will be able to step out your door and wiggle your toes in the sand at the Tides Motel in Falmouth for under $200/night. I visited myself and found that the rooms have been remodeled recently and have kitchenettes. You will be able to see luxury yachts and sailboats coming and going out if the entrance to Falmouth Harbor. While if Falmouth you can take a ferry to Martha's Vineyard for the day, too. He stays there whenever he visits us now.

Check out www.falmouthvillageassociation.com and falmouthchamber.com for more insights.

Also, look at my other thoughts on Falmouth in my previous posts by clicking on my name.