We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TOronto to Cape Cod

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
TOronto to Cape Cod

Hello!

How would one travel from Toronto to Cape Cod?

I believe first it's a flight to Boston, and then..?

PS not driving

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
590 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Go Boston Card, with Access To...
127 Reviews
from US$59.00*
Special Offer
Small-Group Day Trip to Plymouth and...
5 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
From Boston to Cape Cod Day Trip...
188 Reviews
from US$78.00*
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: TOronto to Cape Cod

And then it's hopefully renting a car at the airport if your plan is to explore all over the Cape.

You can get bus service to many of the towns like Hyannis, Falmouth, Woods Hole, but relying on Public Transit once there isn't all that convienent.

If driving is definitely out then basing yourself in one of the bigger towns like Hyannis or Falmouth would be a good idea. There would be more frequent bus service and readily available taxi cabs in those two towns.

Or, just hop on the bus from Boston to Woods Hole, hop on the ferry and go spend a few nights (or more) on Martha's Vineyard.

Mentioned in this post
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Martha's Vineyard
Martha's Vineyard
Massachusetts
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,282 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: TOronto to Cape Cod

Or take the ferry from Boston over to Provincetown. You can manage without a car there. However as Will007 says unless you are willing to stay put it is difficult and time consuming to get around the Cape without a car.

What are your plans once you get there? Some more information would help us advise you. What time of year are you thinking of going? What kind of accommodation do you want? Etc. etc.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Cape Cod
Level Contributor
546 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TOronto to Cape Cod

I'll give the same response that I gave some folks who wrote this morning.

Take the Bonanza Bus Line to Falmouth. It's a 1hour + ride to the Falmouth Bus Depot. Walk 100 yards to the Inn on the Square or other B&B on the Village Green and stay there. Rent a bike next door at Corner Cycle and ride the most scenic 10.7 mile bike path around. Stop in Woods Hole for lunch along the way. Afterwards, stroll along the eclectic boutiques that line Main Street and have dinner in one of the trendy restaurants. Go to Grumpy's (500ft away) for blues music and dance the night away.

Next morning have a great breakfast at Perseys Place inside the Inn at the Square or pop across the street to the hippest coffee shop in America- Coffee Obsession and mingle with scientists, oceanographers, farmers and soccer moms. Grab the trolley to Woods Hole for a day trip to MV.

Next night grab a free concert at a number of parks or churches or go to see a play at the College Light Opera Co. just up the hill.

It goes on and on as you can see. All within walking, trolley or biking distance.

Visit www.falmouthchamber.com or www.falmouthvillageassociation.com for more info.

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TOronto to Cape Cod

I love mainstreetman's itinerary/suggestions for you. On the other hand and at the totally other end of the spectrum atmosphere wise is Provincetown mentioned by senior. If you decide to base yourselves there then you can get around, at least up and down the outer Cape on the Flex bus. You'll also have easy access to plenty of restaurants and night time entertainment and, with just a little bit of effort, access to beautiful beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TOronto to Cape Cod

Thanks so much to all!:)

As of right now I"m not too sure of the particulars (where, when, etc), just trying to figure out if getting to Boston-C/C is doable without a car/bikes...once I have more info, I'll definitely add to my post!

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TOronto to Cape Cod

Also, you might want to compare the cost of flying out of Toronto with the cost of flying out of Buffalo. Usually it's much cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TOronto to Cape Cod

I just did a quick sample check of roundtrip flights to Boston, using both Toronto and Buffalo as the starting points, and the Buffalo tickets were, on average, about $400 cheaper. If you have more than one person in your party, that adds up quickly. It would be cheaper to rent a car and drive to Buffalo or take a bus or the Amtrak Maple Leaf from Toronto to Buffalo, and then fly out from here. Even with the extra cost of that leg of the journey, you'd still save quite a lot.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,282 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: TOronto to Cape Cod

Not sure where you were looking Pastiche but I couldn't find any fares with a $400 difference. Add the cost of getting to Buffalo and the time involved and it may not be such a good deal, at least not worth the bother. I suppose that even a small difference in price is significant if you are, say, a family of 4 or 5 but we don't know that 's the case here.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TOronto to Cape Cod

I checked Expedia, using a departure date of 8/5 and return date of 8/12. The cheapest roundtrip fare from Toronto to Boston is $685; the cheapest from Buffalo to Boston is $261. Many folks from Ontario fly out of Buffalo because the fares are cheaper when you're heading to destinations in the U.S.

It was just a suggestion.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Ontario
Ontario
Canada
Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TOronto to Cape Cod

And if you drove your own car from Toronto to Buffalo (the trip takes about two and a half hours), you'd be paying for just the gas plus approximately $50 for a week in the long-term parking lot at the Buffalo Niagara airport.

Again, just a suggestion.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod