We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leave for the Cape in 3 days from England!! Whoo Hoo

uk
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Leave for the Cape in 3 days from England!! Whoo Hoo

Staying in West Yarmouth in a rental; haven't been to the Cape for 12 years when we were last in Boston so hugely looking forward to visiting in the summer with our children aged 13 and 10. Any last minute tips or recommendations for us? We will be bike riding and hopefully going to Nantucket and P-town. My children love looking for crabs and shells on the beaches - where would you recommend for that activity?Was also hoping to go to the drive-in - can you book?

Thank you for all your help - I love America!! x

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,574 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leave for the Cape in 3 days from England!! Whoo Hoo

When you drive in stop (on Rt. 6) at the visitor's center on the road after Hyannis and before the Yarmouth exit and pick from all the info that they have. Also pick up Cape Week, the Friday entertainment insert to the Cape Cod Times.

The drive-in is in Wellfleet. You can check what is playing in Cape Week. No advance reservations, just drive on in. Some folks will be sitting outside their cars on beach chairs.

Seagull beach right near your rental is lovely and you'll be able to find shells there. We love the tidal beaches in Dennis and they extend up through Brewster and Orleans.

The Cape Cod Rail Trail starts in the next town over and that is Dennis. If you can locate Barbara's Bike Shop on Rt. 134 then you'll be there as she is located just adjacent to the trail. She has another shop in Brewster and you can get bikes on a one-way rental from her if you have a driver who can pick you up and bring you back to Dennis.

Look around on this website at the Top Question on the right and some of the Trip Advisor listings like Things to Do on the left and you'll have plenty from which to choose. Have fun. I know you will.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leave for the Cape in 3 days from England!! Whoo Hoo

Ha..welcome soon..no you cannot pre book the Welfleet Drive Inn...go early..have dinner at Friendly Fisherman past Ben and Jerrys on the right tucked in back. Great lobster rolls or used to....

Mayflower Beach on the north side of Dennis is great for low tide adventure..after, ice cream at Smugglers. BEFORE stop at Mercantile behind the Dennis Post Office ( x from the ghastly Christi's near the common) for sandwiches..wow

Cape Museum of Natural History is pretty cool and the low tide John Wing Trail is fun. Then Kate's next door for fried stuff or ice cream. Lemon Tree Plaza near is quite nice..

Edited: 19 August 2010, 14:05
The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Leave for the Cape in 3 days from England!! Whoo Hoo

caribchakita: Again, great ideas! Do you stay on the Cape all summer? I wondered, there used to be a great little shop in the Lemon Tree Plaza that sold all things lavender. Is it still there?

There's a new shop that opened in S. Chatham near the Christmas store, across the street from Box Office Cafe. It's an herbalists shop. She also has a wonderful selection of lavender items.

uk
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Leave for the Cape in 3 days from England!! Whoo Hoo

Thank you for your replies - we were in Sanibel 4 years ago and they loved the shelling, but my son loves finding all sorts of creatures! I had a look at the restaurant recommendations on the forum and there seem to be a few nice places. e thought we may stop in Sandwich on the way down from Boston; does anyone know of anything there?

Thank you again- hoping for sun and long days on the beach x

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,574 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leave for the Cape in 3 days from England!! Whoo Hoo

The seashells are not in the abundance that you found in Sanibel but the bayside beaches at low tide will yield the creatures.

In Sandwich our favorite is www.dunbarteashop.com open until 4 or 4:30 every day and located in town across from Shawme Pond. In addition to the finger sandwiches and tea they offer a real ploughman's lunch and micro brewed beer. Of course their desserts are decadent. Eat outside on the garden tables in good weather.

There's also a couple of places frequented by locals that are family friendly and offer meals from meatloaf to lobster pie - www.thebeehivetavern.com and www.marshlandrestaurant.com with it's old fashioned American diner style. And, hey, do you want seafood, there's always Seafood Sams. www.hemispherecapecod.com for a drink on their deck and wonderful views but just so so food.

If you are there Thurs - Sunday you can watch glass blowing at the Glass Studio (508)888-6681 -- at 470 Rt 6A East Sandwich which might be something fun for the kids...and for you. If you DO make time for this then, on your way out 6A, stop to walk out across the marsh to the beach on their famous boardwalk. Reach it either from 6A and Factory (as in Glass Factory) Rd. or go out to the Town beach and walk it back from the beach.

Sorry, but there's this and much more to do in Sandwich. Hope you can pick something out of this to enjoy.

Edited: 19 August 2010, 15:03
The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Leave for the Cape in 3 days from England!! Whoo Hoo

montclairalchemist: If you find your way to the Coast Guard Beach in Eastham, part of the National Seashore Park, you might want to check in at the Ranger Station there. They have programs for kids going on at different times and one of them is to explore the sea creatures that live in the tidal pools. Would your son enjoy that?

There is a little tea shop in Sandwich but the Dunbar Tea Shop in Sandwich is often for 'ladies who lunch'. The last time we went, there were several bridal and baby showers going on. Would your son like the atmosphere, I wonder?

There's a good place to get fresh seafood, but it's basic and the best fish is fried, in my opinion: Seafood Sam's.

The long, sunny days are still here so take full advantage and have fun exploring the Cape.

uk
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Leave for the Cape in 3 days from England!! Whoo Hoo

Hi - am sure they would both enjoy that actually - I will have a look. Many thanks.I don't think I would pass for a lady who lunches! We want ice cream sundaes and proper American burgers and clam chowder!! with salt crackers that you don't get in England! I went to university in Alabama so if there are any authentic southern restaurants then that would be a bonus!

Thank you all again x

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leave for the Cape in 3 days from England!! Whoo Hoo

I would second that recommendation of going to Coast Guard beach - the National Seashore beaches are spectacular & well worth trip. Coast Guard is regularly found on the Top 10 list of American beaches.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Leave for the Cape in 3 days from England!! Whoo Hoo

montclairalchemist: This place isn't in Sandwich and I haven't been there (yet!) but it looks like someplace you might appreciate and enjoy. It was recently recommended on another thread and I thought you might be interested:

http://www.mattakeese.com/

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leave for the Cape in 3 days from England!! Whoo Hoo

I think there are a few things in Provincetown that your whole family would enjoy, so I do hope you can do a daytrip there. The Provincelands reserve (part of the National Seashore -- kind of a national park) is great and you should at least drive in to the parking lot, park, then walk to the great beach there. But there are tours of the Provincelands (I've never done it) and you could rent a bike and explore more stuff than you can do by car. Also, at the beach (I believe it is the beach at Race Point, but am not positive) over to your right you might see what looks like an old house. Head over there -- it's really interesting and kind of eerie -- it's a lifesaving museum. The coastal towns set up systems for saving people from shipwrecks, this is before we set up the U.S. Coast Guard. The stories are dramatic, and the building feels very real and kind of raw. Also in P'town you might climb the Pilgrim Monument. I finally did this and found it pretty interesting, and you get rewarded with great views from the top of the tower. Think there is a pirate museum in the area, too. I've never done this, but believe that it has a good reputation.