We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seal Tours

CT
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
Seal Tours

Has any one done a seal tour? Is it worth it? Who does it best? I'm thinking about going around 9/15.

Thanks!

OceanQuest
Sightseeing Tours
Blue Claw Boat Tours
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Chatham Boat Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Seal Tours

If you go to the Chatham Fish Pier when the fishing boats are unloading, you'll see plenty of seals -- without having to pay for a tour.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,884 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seal Tours

Beachcomber -- www.sealwatch.com

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
472 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seal Tours

I'm crazy about seeing seals and in early September 2004, we took a seal "cruise" with Monomoy Island Excursions in Harwichport out of Saquatucket Harbor. http://www.monomoysealcruise.com/

The weather was somewhat threatening and we probably should've chosen a different day since my husband and I tend to get seasick in rough water, but we were assured by the person who sold tickets and by the naturalist that "no one ever gets sick" so we thought we'd be okay.

The boat was smallish and there were 15 passengers and a naturalist on board. The trip is advertised as taking 1 1/2 hours and it took around 30 minutes to get to the seal haul-out beach and the boat sped and bounced its way there through choppy water, so the ride was pretty uncomfortable. Once we got to the beach to see the seals, we spent around 20 minutes off-shore a ways (I'm terrible about distance in yards/feet etc.) but although we weren't very close, we could see lots of seals-- young and old-- which was thrilling for the first 5 minutes. But the way the boat was positioned closer to shore, it rocked and rolled on the swells of waves. Combined with the odor of diesel fuel wafting by as the boat idled, my husband and I were looking for places over the boat railing to hurl and felt thankful when the boat headed back to the harbor. (The naturalist said there was a bathroom on board, but it was down below and had no windows, and he thought we'd probably feel sicker down there.)

Our mistake was thinking that a "cruise" sounds sort of leisurely, and perhaps it was the small boat we were on, but it felt more like an endurance test as we tried like mad not to throw up. Fortunately, we never did lose our breakfast, but we sat in the parking lot for 30 minutes afterward chewing on Pepto-Bismol tablets until we felt better.

We now stick to seeing the seals on land, hauled out on Lighthouse Beach in Chatham or at Chatham's fish pier, but I'd still be open to trying a different seal cruise business that might offer a better experience.

Edited: 23 August 2010, 17:51
Mentioned in this post
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
CT
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seal Tours

Thanks for the feedback!! We went to the fish pier in Chatham when we were there a few weeks ago and the railing up above was 3 rows deep. We're going back to the cape on 9/15 so hopefully it won't be as crowded then...

Mentioned in this post
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seal Tours

dschribs: I would suggest the Beachcomber Seal Watch. It's wonderful. Here's the website:

www.sealwatch.com

Have a great time!

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
472 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seal Tours

CapeCodCharlie and Waterbug-- How does the Beachcomber seal cruise you both recommend compare to the seal cruise I described above? Does it take very long to get to the haul-out beaches? Is the boat ride nausea-inducing?

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seal Tours

There's probably not much of a difference in distance. Once the boat stops and you're seal watching there will be some rocking and rolling that can't be avoided. Dramamine or similar can be your friend here!

8. Re: Seal Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2011, 08:18