We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape cod visit

West Virginia
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cape cod visit

Hi I would like to visit Cape cod during this labor day weekend. I have never been to this place before.I would like to get some information on where to stay. I would like to see the beaches, lighthouse, some local seafood, and anything else I could see around there. Since I am on a budget ( just 2 of us) and will be driving from NY I would like to stay somewhere less crowded with less traffic (I believe it's an impossible combination on this weekend). Any information is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,599 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape cod visit

There's a lot of info for you to start with on the right ===>

West Virginia
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape cod visit

Hi, Thanks a lot Alanm for the info, after going through that ton of information I could not get to any reasonable conclusion. I found this hotel in Hyannis called Cape Codder Resort And Spa. Has anyone had any experience here before? Is it close to the town center and activities. How's the night life? I would like to do some biking (haven't done it before). Are there any bike rental shops nearby / how much do they cost approximately?

Edited: 30 August 2010, 14:02
Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape cod visit

I don't know that hotel in Hyannis, but there is a bit of nightlife there, I think. It's pretty easy to rent bikes on Cape Cod. You don't need to plan ahead to do that. Cape Cod, in addition to the lovely towns and smaller roads, has a bike trail that I think is called the Cape Cod Rail Trail.

Sometimes it's overwhelming starting to plan a trip, and maybe everything sounds kind of the same to you. Then I would say just grab your hotel reservation so you're sure you have something. You can explore other parts of Cape Cod while you are there.

I'm not sure where all the lighthouses are, but there is a nice one in Chatham. It's especially impressive at night.

Keep in mind that traffic will be quite serious for Labor Day weekend -- but that's life! Oh, and about beaches -- they are everywhere. Once you pick a place to stay, you can get more detailed about your activities and restaurants, and so on, and can post additional questions.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape cod visit

Thanks MaxieLu,

I went ahead and booked a room in that Hotel (Cape Codder resort and Spa, 1225 Iyannough Road, Hyannis) . Now I can peacefully search for other activities around there. Biking is certainly on my list and I'll see as I go. Any suggestions for restaurants around in Hyannis?Thanks again.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape cod visit

There are restaurant reviews here. Check them out. Once you get to hyannis a walk down main st will put you in front of a bunch of restaurants; more by water. Bike trail starts in Dennis and there ie a bike shop right there. Search cape cod rail trail for info. Search lighthouses and you will find those. Traffic will be heavy so timing is everything if you want to visit provincetown. Go enjoy relax and don't plan too much.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape cod visit

You said you wanted someplace "less crowded" ... Hyannis is one of the busiest places on the Cape ... partly because of the ferry terminal.

Nothing wrong with that ... but thought I'd point it out. To escape crowds you need to head further down Rte 6 .... although as I pointed out in a post about 10 days ago ... that area was the busiest I've ever seen it.

Since you will have a car, be sure to take a day trip to the Outer Cape and the Cape Cod National Seashore. You can rent bikes in Eastham --(National Seashore Visitor's Center is on teh right side of Rte 6 and at the same intersection on the left side, behind the restaurant is a bike rental place -- and bike through some of the National Seashore's on their paths.

7. Re: Cape cod visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 05:18