We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do's in Cape Cod in 1 day

Level Contributor
775 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Must do's in Cape Cod in 1 day

This is a last minute trip idea. We will be in Boston for an extra day and decided we would use it to drive down the coast to have a look. Is there any must do's or see's in the Cap Cod area that can be down in a day? (ie.. say we get to the area around 10am and would leave by 6 or 7pm)

If you only had 1 day, what would you do?

I'm in the process of reading through the forums but I only have 2 days to plan everything so I'm in a crunch.

Is it possible to swim anywhere the first week of Sept?

Any towns/ports you would suggest seeing?

Anything else that would be fun to go see?

In case it matters we are a couple in early 30's.

Thanks so much for the help!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do's in Cape Cod in 1 day

Swimming would be great at Old Silver Beach- I don't think the parking attendant is there on weekdays after Labor Day weekend, so it should be free.

You could stroll Main Street www.falmouthvillageassociation.com and enjoy the flower lined sidewalks and eclectic boutiques. Or If you want something more active , rent a bike at Corner Cycle and travel the Shining Sea Bike Path to Woods Hole and visit the village where the famous Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute is located.Enjoy an ice cream, visit the aquarium or Titantic exhibit or enjoy lunch at one of the trendy restaurants there. For that matter as you bike along you can take a swim at a beach, too!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,635 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do's in Cape Cod in 1 day

If you decide to drive out a bit on the Cape then I would recommend one of the bayside beaches for a swim. Recently we again enjoyed Mayflower Beach in Dennis. The water is so warm, the beach walk scenery so beautiful, the big tide changes so interesting that this is a most popular mid-Cape beach. From Hwy 6 take the 9B exit all the way to the deadend at 6A. Turn west (left) and continue until you pass Old Bass River Rd (and a defunct Christie's) on your left. If you decide to do this then you can stop at the sandwich shop behind the post office (directly on your right) or continue along to Dennis Public Market (on west a bit and on your left) for sandwiches/other picnic items. Then you need to watch carefully on your right for the Mayflower Beach signs and drive a bit farther than you mght expect north to reach it. But it will be a big reward. Hope you'll have a map!

Level Contributor
775 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do's in Cape Cod in 1 day

Thanks both for the pointers! Greatly appreciated.

I will indeed be getting a map, I also have a GPS so that will help as I can plug in the details.

Thanks again!

Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do's in Cape Cod in 1 day

If you take the suggestions for the Falmouth area, then be sure to drive just a bit farther south, to Wood's Hole. It's a very interesting area, and surrounded by water once you get to the point. You will see the big ferry for Martha's Vineyard, and some activities of the Wood's Hole Oceanographic Institute, but it's also a fun, walkable little business district.

I hope you get to walk on one of the bigger beaches. The really big beaches tend to be out on the lower Cape, such as Eastham and up to Provincetown. That area is stunning, and worth the drive. Check out the website for the "National Seashore," which is

Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do's in Cape Cod in 1 day

You received some great suggestions

Feel the need to clarify......... just in case you are thinking a "coastal tour"

There are not any roads here on the Cape that would be considered a drive along the coast but many roads jut in and out along the coast line and bays

QUOTE......extra day and decided we would use it to drive down the coast to have a look. I

Edited: 04 September 2010, 17:55
6. Re: Must do's in Cape Cod in 1 day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2011, 06:25