We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlantic beaches: normal conditions

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,310 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Atlantic beaches: normal conditions

We've been enjoying the Atlantic beaches, yesterday both Nauset and Race Point. Nauset has been posting water temps of 62 degrees. Is that warm? It really seems so. The water simply has not been it's usual bone chilling self...lol.

We went for the waves but have in fact heard a second time that the gulfstream sometimes warms these waters and that is when the wind is blowing onshore.

However now I'd like to know why there is terrific surf at Nauset and none at Race Pt.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlantic beaches: normal conditions

I am so confused by this post. It gives such an incorrect impression of what's going on at the Cape during this anticipated hurricane. Water temperatures are irrelevant; the rip tides are deadly. It's dangerous and not normal conditions at all.

Nothing's normal about the Atlantic beaches at the Cape and many beaches have been closed. The advice from the Coast Guard is to stay out of the water.

Boston...
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlantic beaches: normal conditions

Waterbug

I agree ......... I think the poster maybe was just asking a question but certainly the timing is bad.

Folks use extreme caution and take note when beaches are closed. I heard that Nauset has been open all week so it must have been declared "safe".

Thinking of you all on the Cape - stay safe!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlantic beaches: normal conditions

Definitely stay out of the water today and probably tomorrow, but by Sunday the storm will be far away and over land in the northern Quebec-Labrador wilderness. I think it will be safe to return to the beaches on Sunday, though the air will be a bit cool.

Montclair, New...
Level Contributor
346 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlantic beaches: normal conditions

I think it was just an observation of what CCC experienced at the beaches the last few days. I have witnessed myself how normal things can appear one day and change very quickly the next in a weather system like this, "the calm before the storm". Any category hurricane is no joke so once they close the beaches just stay away. Hope it passes quickly!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,310 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlantic beaches: normal conditions

Thanks for such concern. Times Two was able to look at the post date/time and understand when we were out on the Atlantic Beaches.

Naturally we were at the guarded beaches. Guess what? Nauset was not closed up to yesterday-Thursday afternoon - and plenty of adults and kids were in the water enjoying the surf.

The water was 'warm' by comparison to other years that we have ventured to the Atlantic beaches.

Now, is there anyone who can answer my original question before it was hijacked? I'd like to understand why one Atlantic beach could have such big waves and another have close to none all on the same day. Anyone know about this?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlantic beaches: normal conditions

Yes, Charlie, I think I know why. It all has to do with the "lay of the land" beneath the water. The "shelf" if you will that runs from the shoreline out into the sea. If it's a gradual incline up to the shoreline then waves are created. If there's a sharp drop off like out on the tip of the Cape then there's less wave action. Nothing to help the wave build up. That's my theory (without googling, lol) and I'm sticking to it. Haha.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlantic beaches: normal conditions

For those 'googly challenged' here's information about surface water temperatures. The chart reflects daily temps.

capecodweather.net/sea-surface-temperatures

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Atlantic beaches: normal conditions

Here's more googled information about what causes wave action:

…suite101.com/article.cfm/what_makes_waves

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,310 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atlantic beaches: normal conditions

Hi Will, Thanks for your reply. I like it. LOL

So, Saturday the water at Cahoon Hollow was really calm, almost flat. Yet, earlier in the day as well as yesterday our local beaches on Nantucket Sound (Dennis) continued to be whipped up with waves just about out to the horizon and blowing wind. Who would have thought that an Atlantic beach would be more calm than a mid-Cape Nantucket Sound beach?

Never boring.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,310 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atlantic beaches: normal conditions

What a fabulous spring and summer. Now it's time for some great fall weather for everyone arriving in Sept. Please take extra care if you foray from the beaches in for a swim since the lifeguards are no longer on the beaches. Have fun.