We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need new hotel

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
165 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Need new hotel

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me with a question. For the past few years my family has stayed at the Clarion in South Yarmouth. We loved it there. The rates were reasonable, great service, clean etc. however they offered free continental breakfast, which we love. We have 2 teenage boys who travel with us and if we have to pay for breakfast too our expenses soar.

Well I went to book a reservation there the other day and was told at the end, after giving the staff member my credit card info, they no longer offered free continental breakfast. They now have a full $$$ breakfast. Well I cancelled the reservation immediately.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Patty Flynn

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need new hotel

Have you considered renting a house or cottage? I can imagine that it must be very expensive to eat out all the time. If you are interested take a look at www.weneedavacation.com or check with some of the local realtors.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need new hotel

How about the Hampton Inn & Suites in West Yarmouth? Hotel is only a couple of years old, it gets good reviews, it would be in the same general area as you're used to staying in, and it comes with a free hot breakfast each morning.

http://www.hamptoninncapecod.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need new hotel

No idea what your reasonable rate was at the Clarion, but I'm guessing the Bayside Resort has similar rates. This is another property that gets good reviews, better then the Hampton Inn and on par with the Clarion. Free breakfast consists of cereals, pastries, hard boiled eggs, waffles and juices.

http://www.baysideresort.com/

Happy Hunting!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need new hotel

I think that you'll find that the hot breakfast at the Hampton Inn is basically the same as the one that you have listed for the Bayside Resort. Don't know what these teenagers like for breakfast.

Edited: 14 February 2011, 03:41
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,493 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need new hotel

I'd like to underline Senior's first thought. It's fun to hear the reaction of folks the first year that they switch from the tight quarters of a hotel to lots of elbow room for everyone when you rent a summer home or cottage. For example 3-bedroom homes in my neighborhood (1/2 mile to a Nantucket Sound beach) rent for about $200 a day for up to 6 people (weekly only). That does not include breakfast nor daily maid service keep in mind. However the kids can make YOU breakfast each morning and perhaps assemble snacks or lunch to go to the beach too. (Do I hear you laughing? Hope not.) Go out for dinner every night but, if you all enjoy fresh fish, drop into the local fish market on your way home one day and grill out on your deck. Wash and fluff your beach towels in the washer/dryer. And don't contend with noise overhead from the folks on the next floor up. They aren't there in a house. There are lots of advantages but do keep in mind that there is no cleaning service and you will need to do your own dishes (in the dishwasher) and tidy up a bit everyday. It's a thought. It sounds like you have several good leads for alternate hotels. Have fun.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need new hotel

CCC is right about the joys of renting. I can't imagine sharing a room with two teenagers for a week. Even a connecting room!! Admittedly there is a bit of work involved in a rental house but it only takes minutes a day and it's wonderful to have the space, the ability to have your breakfast when you feel like it etc. etc. We have rented all over the world, will be off to Bermuda in April as usual for just over two weeks and our beloved Cape in September for three weeks. Always rent in both places. Give it a try PFlynn006. If you like the Mid Cape area then CCC recommends Martha Murray Real Estate.

Edited: 14 February 2011, 15:10
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need new hotel

I agree with both Senior and CCC about renting a cottage versus staying in a hotel, but a cottage won't work if you're only planning a few nights down there. Looking through some of your previous Cape Cod posts, it seems you spend 3 or 4 days down there? In that case, I can see why you're going the hotel route. If you can do a week, then definitely consider renting your own place.

Edited: 14 February 2011, 22:05
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,493 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need new hotel

Patty, while you are looking for a new hotel why not consider one on the Outer Cape? The kids can use their skim boards everywhere but they would really get some good rides on the Atlantic waves on their boogy boards. The surf is more dramatic there and colder too but kids don't seem to mind...too much. If you stick with the mid-Cape area then you can always drive out to spend an afternoon at Nauset Beach in Orleans to enjoy those big waves and lunch at the beach shack that is Liam's.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
165 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need new hotel

Hello,

Thank you all so...... very much.

I agree renting a house is great. We have done that in the past in Florida, NH and Maine. However, we are only staying two nights on the Cape.

Also, good news. I had sent a letter to Clarion telling them how disappointed I was about what had transpired and they called me back and apologized and let me know that the staff member was suppose to tell me at the beginning of the conversation, etc. The manager was very, very kind. He even offered us our stay free of charge!!!! This is the Clarion that I loved so much!!! I knew there was a reason why we have been going there!!:).

I did not want to thank you all.

Also, to the person who suggested the outer cape and Liam's. We love Naussett beach and Liam's Shack and that is the beach we go to when we go to the cape. :)

Thanks again

Patty

10. Re: Need new hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2012, 08:27