We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for cottage rental or hotel with toddler

Rochester, NY
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recommendation for cottage rental or hotel with toddler

Hi,

My husband and I would love to take our little boy (2 yrs) to the Cape this summer. We have never been, but have heard such amazing things.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a cottage rental (1-2 BR's) or a child friendly hotel in the lower Cape area? We aren't looking to stay the week, just a few days. Any information would be so helpful! (also, I have already researched the Red Jacket resorts).

Thank you!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for cottage rental or hotel with toddler

Hi, the majority of cottage rentals in the summer (mid-June to Labor Day) are 1 week and run from Sat. to Sat - so you will have to look for hotel rental. I really like The Old Sea Pines Inn in Brewster, it is lovely & they have a few family suites -breakfast is included. Bewster is great for families as the bay beaches & fresh-water ponds are perfect for small kids.

http://www.oldseapinesinn.com/

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for cottage rental or hotel with toddler

It will probably be difficult to find a cottage for less than a week's rental during the summer. I highly recommend the Tern Inn in West Harwich (www.theterninn.com). The owners, David and Joan, are grandparents and love children. The property is large and beautiful, with plenty of room for your little one to run around, and there's a small playground and a swimming pool (fenced, for safety's sake). It's within walking distance of Pleasant Road Beach as well as the Weatherdeck, a family-friendly restaurant. Breakfast is included in the rates.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation for cottage rental or hotel with toddler

Oops -- sorry for the cross-post, Kendrick!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation for cottage rental or hotel with toddler

good advice, all around Pastiche!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,036 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendation for cottage rental or hotel with toddler

So much of the Cape is kid friendly that you will have a lot of choices. Brewster and Harwich are certainly two of the best options. But since you are asking for the Lower Cape The Hawthorne right on the water in Chatham comes to mind. Check out their cottage rental. This motel is just down the road from the exclusive Chatham Bars Inn and you can use their facilities (restaurant for example) or join in on their weekly Clam Bake on the beach if that interests you. Is there a budget? If not then just go ahead and book in at the CBI and be done with it. Check back with more specific questions as they arise.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,036 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendation for cottage rental or hotel with toddler

Also, since this is your first trip to the Cape, I've dropped some info resources to you. Look up top beside your screen name and pop in there.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,436 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendation for cottage rental or hotel with toddler

Further down the Cape check out the Top Mast Resort. The beachside rooms are ROOMS (not suites) with a kichenette. But the nice thing is that each has a private deck so you can put your toddler to bed and sit right outside the on the deck (with windows and door opened) while he (or she) falls alseep.

Edited: 24 February 2011, 13:41
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendation for cottage rental or hotel with toddler

we used to go to an inexpensive bay side motel in North Truro - it was called Sea and Surf (or something like that) but has since changed hands - I would look for something similar. it might even be the Top Mast mentioned above: a room with a kitchenette and a little porch with a view of Provincetown, right on the sand. the bay side is perfect for toddlers. great memories of this!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,436 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendation for cottage rental or hotel with toddler

Thomas, I remember Sea and Surf but can't remember what happened to it. It may have been renovated and gone condo.

Top Mast is in the same general area on 6A ... but it's been the Top Mast "forever" and the merged with the property next door (Seascape). The Seascape and Top Mast were some how connected ... Seascape guests used Top Mast's pool 20 years ago ....

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendation for cottage rental or hotel with toddler

I've tried to figure this out before - I remember the Sea and Surf having a restaurant with a pool next to it just like I see on Google maps at the Top Mast - maybe we stayed there once and I confuse the two - our toddler is now 23. In any case, any of those motels on Shore Road are a terrific place to stay with a small child, particularly with a kitchenette, downstairs, right on the very placid bayside ocean.