We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay, never been to the cape

CT
Level Contributor
209 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay, never been to the cape

My husband and I and our 7mo old are planning a 5 day trip to the cape. I have never been and kinda confused about where to stay.

We want to be on the beach and walking distance to shops and restaurants.

What part do you suggest?

thank you

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay, never been to the cape

Since your question is the most common one asked on this forum, some of the regulars have answered it many times and put their own suggestions in the Top Questions section to the right of your post. Read through the responses in that section, put a few key words or phrases in the search box and you will receive lots of up-todate valuable information. Once you have narrowed your question come back with something a bit more specific.

Short answer: I don't think you will find much on the beach and within walking distance to shops and restaurants. You may have to chose one or the other.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,402 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay, never been to the cape

Your request is a tough one and something that first timers to the Cape frequently ask. If you are going to stay put in one town and not tour any others (a relaxing plan) then Chatham and Provincetown leap to mind. Neither are centrally located to other areas of the Cape. In Chatham on the beach there is Chatham Bars Inn (around $500 or so a night) and, located nearby and with all units located directly on the beach, the Hawthorne Motel. Both of these would entail a longer walk to get to Main St. There you would have limited dining and tons of shopping opportunities. CBI does have a shuttle probably limited to in-season runs. Then there is the gay-enclave at the tip of the Cape that is Provincetown. In town there are a few places with a bit of beach in front of them though the dramatically beautiful National Seashore beaches are a short drive or P-Town shuttle away. But I mention Provincetown especially for the variety of dining choices within a short or long walk depending on where you locate as well as lots of unique shops and galleries. One more idea for my 'no touring' list would be Truro. There are several places located directly on Cape Cod bay which would give you very gentle wave action and beautiful sunsets. However you would have to drive south to Wellfleet or north to Provincetown for dining and shopping.

I hope some other folks will jump on here and give you some other ideas because, beyond this other beach front accommodations that I can think of are a short drive away at least from shopping venues. We stay in DennisPort which has beachfront motels like Colony Beach and Three Seasons right on the sands of Nantucket Sound as well as some dining that you can reach on foot. But just a few minutes driving would provide many more dining choices and about 12 minutes in the car would be needed for shopping the fun craft shops, boutiques and galleries along Main St. in Harwichport or going into Dennis Village on 6A would be about 15 minutes. Dennisport is known as being family friendly and, if you decided to explore, it is a mid-Cape location with easy access to the main Hyw (6) that runs the length of the Cape.

Now, take a look at the Top Questions here on the right side of the page. Have fun with your planning. Whatever you decide I know you are going to enjoy your Cape Cod holiday.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay, never been to the cape

Here is a place on the beach in Dennis, great restaurant right on the property, nearby shops. I have not stayed in the motel, but have stayed in one of their cottages and it was very clean and well managed.

http://www.threeseasonsresort.com/

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay, never been to the cape

Kendrick,

Three Seasons looks like a perfect place for a family beach vacation! The pool, in addition to the calm waters of the Nantucket Sound beach, must be a favorite for parents and kids. What kind of shops are nearby?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay, never been to the cape

There's gift shops, breakfast places & a Sundae School ice cream shop all close by.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,402 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay, never been to the cape

Grandma Daisy's is on Lower County just a bit east from Wee Packet and Sundae School and has lots of interesting boutique type items. The entire top floor is a treat for children. I never miss going to the gift shop at the Ebb Tide. It is tiny but there is so much packed in there that I always find something that I love. Discounts if you can go after Labor Day. Both of these are within walking distance to Three Seasons.

Since we are now trying to 'buy local' we make sure to visit The General Store and Debra's Rainbow on Main St.DennisPort and to buy any sweatshirt etc type items at our local West Dennis Cuffy's and Christmas Tree.

The best shopping in Dennis is all along 6A. A car will be needed but worth it to explore the galleries, museums and boutiques.

Montclair, New...
Level Contributor
346 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay, never been to the cape

Three Seasons looks well kept from the outside and is in a good location as CCC said for its beachfront and the ability to walk to a few places. I think Sundae School is walkable and that is a plus to me! If I had to choose I would pick being able to walk to the beach. Colony Beach next door would also be worth considering but a recent review indicates they don't allow children under 3 in their pool. May not be an issue if the OP doesn't intend to use it but its something to think about when choosing a place to stay.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay, never been to the cape

Ahhh, the Sundae School...say no more! LOL I could easily eat their ice cream for 3 meals a day in the summer!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
221 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay, never been to the cape

Cape-Cod-Charlie always has the best advice!

I just wanted to chime in and say that you might enjoy Harwich Port. If you stay close to Main St. (And is it really called Main...I forget...but the main road in town) you can easily get to one of the public beaches and have the option of walking to shops and restaurants. We have stayed at the Clapps guest house (they have a website) in the past and love their location. You can cut through their back yard with your baby and a wagon and go to the bank street beach. Then you can walk to a number of places from there to shop and eat. The Clapps have a main house that does not allow children but they do have a private back house that does. Their prices are also reasonable.

The other location that we love is anywhere on the beach on shore road in Truro. This is a more far-out beach feel than Harwich Port or Chatham will be. But it is an easy walk or drive into Provincetown which is the best for shopping and eating (in my opinion). If you are a runner you can put the baby in the stroller and run from your place on shore road into P town and get some coffee in the AM and enjoy watching the fishermen come in from a nightly voyage. I love that!

Whatever you decide will be your own fun and unique experience, you can't really go wrong!

10. Re: Where to stay, never been to the cape

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod