We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Must see" spots at Cape Cod in July?

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
"Must see" spots at Cape Cod in July?

Hi!

We will be staying at a hotel in the Cape area (possible Barnstable area) in July for 1 night - the following day we will have about about 1/2 day available (early morning to afternoon) to explore Cape Cod before going the to next destination on our coastal vacation into Maine.

I am interested in seeing the Cape Cod National Seashore, going on a few shorter hiking trails that show off the Cape well, visiting a beach (preferably one not too crowded as I am mainly interested in getting some great pictures). Maybe seeing a sunrise from the beach (is this even possible? what beach would be best?). Basically I'm just looking for the "must see" spots in this area that we can partake in with our limited time schedule in the area.

I know I don't have much time available and I'm sure that there is much to see in the area but if you could narrow it down to the best of the best, what would you see?

Thanks, in advance, for your help! :-)

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Must see" spots at Cape Cod in July?

Also interested in seeing the seals... where would be a good place to do that?

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Must see" spots at Cape Cod in July?

To get started, plug some key words in and browse the recent responses. Your questions have all been answered many times. And read through the Top Questions section too for additional in put from the regulars.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Must see" spots at Cape Cod in July?

sun rises in the east so pick an ocean side beach for your sunrise pictures although I heard it was going to be cloudy that day.

If I am understanding you correctly, you have 1/2 a day to see all the must see spots. I am thinking you may have to miss a few.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: "Must see" spots at Cape Cod in July?

A 1/2 day on the Cape will FLY by, and before you know it, it'll be time to get yourselves up to Maine.

Spending time in the National Seashore would be great, but think of this...you'll most likely be staying in Barnstable, right? So, you'll get up early, and drive at least an hour, likely longer, to the National Seashore. The slight problem with that is you'll be going in the opposite direction you'll need to go to Maine. That would make for quite a bit of driving that day.

Same goes for a town like Chatham. Chatham Fish Pier is a great spot to see the seals waiting for some free scraps, but the very best time to go is mid to late afternoon, when the fishing boats start returning to port. And Chatham would also be at least 45 minutes in the same general direction, so it'll be a lot of backtracking just for a few hours.

If you want to enjoy the National Seashore, and see the Seals, then maybe basing yourselves in that general area would be a much better plan? Somewhere like Orleans or Eastham would be a good spot. This way, you can wake up, explore the Seashore for a few hours, drive down to Chatham, see what's going on there, and then make your way to Maine.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but rather just trying to help you come up with a more logical plan of attack.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,311 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Must see" spots at Cape Cod in July?

There's a short trail (all you have time for) and a gorgeous view at Ft Hill in Eastham. Go into a Nat. Seashore beach for your photos, keep the parking receipt and, if you have time you can hit another one.

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Must see" spots at Cape Cod in July?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I guess I should have included more details.

We won't be driving to Maine that same day... just to Boston. We got a hotel in Hyannis, MA for night of 7/3 and planned to go to the Cape for the morning/early afternoon on 7/4 then drive up to Boston - arriving there by about 4 or 5pm so we can get into the hotel and ready for the fireworks. I figure if we wake up early we could have 6-7 hours on the Cape.

I will check previous posts... I know there is alot to see and do. I was just trying to get an idea of the best things that we could fit into our schedule.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Must see" spots at Cape Cod in July?

Hi, just checking in about the fireworks. Where are planning to watch them from? As for the Cape, the 4th is probably the busiest time of the year to be there, so I would suggest concentrating on the Hyannis area & not plan on driving too far.

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Must see" spots at Cape Cod in July?

I was looking at the Boston forums and people on there said that good places to see the fireworks were on the Longfellow Bridge or the Cambridge side of the river (normally not as crowded as the Boston side). I found these posts to have alot of info.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k424239…

tripadvisor.com/…30917108

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Must see" spots at Cape Cod in July?

sds

Your plan is crazy. Traffic will be hellacious. 7/4 is a Monday and many people will be working tuesday so getting off the cape may be tough. Other millions will be arriving for their week so Sunday arriving may not be any better.

But if you must, then maybe staying near Falmouth would be better as it will be easier to get off the Cape from there. Spend some time along the beach, maybe visit Woods Hole. You are going to coastal main so my vote would be this is a "MUST MISS"!!!

conn
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Must see" spots at Cape Cod in July?

I agree with earlier post, 4th weekend traffic will be horrendous. Save yourself a lot of frustration and avoid the Cape if it's just for day and 1/2. Spend the extra time in Boston.