We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just back from the cape.......a few stand-outs......

Ridgefield...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
just back from the cape.......a few stand-outs......

spent the last 4 days on the cape and had a really fantastic time......since i came to this site looking for info to help plan my trip, i wanted to "give back" a little.......we did A LOT.........spent time in sandwich, barnstable, harwichport, chatham, orleans, eastham, wellfleet, provincetown, and finally falmouth and wood's hole............ but here were the things that really impressed us:

we stayed in a waterfront cottage @ chatham bars inn and it was superb (the sunrise from our room this morning was spectacular) BUT upon visiting falmouth/woods hole........we fell in love!! the downtown falmouth area as well as that near nobska light house is where we would love to have a house someday

fort hill area........the skiff trail on a clear, crisp sunny day was breathtaking

impudent oyster and hangar b eatery..........dinner and breakfast (x2!!) were STELLAR

my family has visited the cape in summer and now spring.........we r already looking forward to our first early fall visit :))

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just back from the cape.......a few stand-outs......

Very nice to read your impressions. Could you tell us if most businesses were open since it is pre-season? And, were there many vacancies in various accommodations?

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just back from the cape.......a few stand-outs......

I thought Hangar B was open in May. Great news..I am dying to go. How are the prices? Dinner there?

Ridgefield...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: just back from the cape.......a few stand-outs......

as far as what was open and what wasn't..........lots of restaurants and other businesses were open and a good number weren't........we had no problem easily finding options for everything..........i was also exceptionally happy that 2 places i expected to b closed, weren't.........marion's pie shop in chatham (YUM!!!!!!!!!!) and green briar jam kitchen in sandwich (they were even making jam the day we were there and had a tasting of dozens of their offerings!!)

i couldn't really say much about vacancies.......cbi seemed active, but by no means crowded.........anywhere we went, the atmosphere was average activity level.........very nice not to deal w/ traffic, crowds and difficulty getting a reservation somewhere.........

hangar b............i can't say enuf about this place.........our first morning we just stayed @ cbi and had their breakfast buffet (btw......their oatmeal recipe was the greatest i have ever had.........and if oatmeal doesn't usually excite u, it will here!!) but we decided to venture out the next morning and i had read good things about this airport cafe on ta so we gave it a go............the best breakfast we ever had was an understatement.........the chef was amazing.........all ingredients were fresh and top quality...........he was extremely accomodating to food allergies (our son is severely allergic to peanuts) and i loved the fact that you could only order from the menu (there were no 'spare' ingredients in his kitchen)..........we were SO impressed (not that easily accomplished btw) that we returned the next day with some friends who have a house in eastham..........she has been coming to the cape since she's a little girl and had never been here.........they LOVED it too..........esp the fact that the chef was also able to accomodate her daughter (who has celiac disease) with the most incredible gluten-free buckwheat pancakes............the brioche french toast was stellar, the lemon ricotta pancakes were sublime, the potato donuts with housemade raspberry jam were out of this world, the chocolate croissants knocked my husband's socks off, the home fries and chicken sausage were spectacular.............in short, everything was top-notch, artfully prepared and presented and DELICIOUS............if i had a private plane i would take my family to hangar b for breakfast every weekend!!!!!!!! :)))))))))))

Ridgefield...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: just back from the cape.......a few stand-outs......

oh.......and i forgot....caribchakita...........prices were higher than most breakfast places but u very quickly see u r paying for finer ingredients........they don't serve dinner...........just breakfast and lunch weds - sun (at least those were their hours now)

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,296 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just back from the cape.......a few stand-outs......

Thanks so much for the report. I'm glad you enjoyed Falmouth too. It's a lovely area that doesn't get much play here on this forum simply because more of the regulars are used to the lower and outer Cape. Each area of the Cape has so much to offer. Thanks for outlining some specifics.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just back from the cape.......a few stand-outs......

So glad you had a nice time and that you enjoyed Fort Hill walks. I think I saw you walking by with a big smile on you face! LOL. Come back soon.

7. Re: just back from the cape.......a few stand-outs......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 19:19
Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod