We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable accommodations for a young family of 5

Montreal
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable accommodations for a young family of 5

Hi there!

We have 3 young boys (3, 6 and 7 years) and are looking to visit Cape Cod at the end of June. I know that vacation rentals are probably the most affordable option, but we don't like the idea of being tied down to one place for 7 days straight.

We were even thinking of breaking the trip up a bit by visiting and staying close to Boston for the first night. So we might be actually staying on the cape for only 3-5 days.

We are definitely beach people and are looking forward to taking the boys to the calm (bay side) beaches to explore the tidal pools, and maybe even taking them whale watching.

So! My question is...if we're going to be exploring different parts of the Cape, should we bother to find a place close to one beach? Or should we stay somewhere like Days Inn Hyannis, which is kind of central, where we can get a room (albeit smallish) for under $100 a night?

What are your expert insights? ;)

Thanks,

Julia

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable accommodations for a young family of 5

Your math seems a bit off. You say 7 days straight or one night near Boston leaving 3-5 nights for the Cape. Which is it exactly? If you can stand 5 people in a small room then that's a personal choice and if that's your budget maybe that's what you have to do. You may be able to get a small cottage on the Cape for under a $1000 for a week, much better than a motel room. Let us know what you really mean by the number of days and perhaps we can help with more suggestions.

Montreal
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable accommodations for a young family of 5

I said "7 days straight" because all of the rentals I've seen are for a 1-week minimum. And when you're traveling with young kids, it's nice to have the option of adding or subtracting a day or so from your trip, or of moving on to a different site. We just don't have that kind of freedom when reserving a week in a vacation rental.

Can we not have that kind of flexibility in Cape Cod?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable accommodations for a young family of 5

You can be as flexible as you like. As you say, rentals are usually for a week so perhaps you will be happier being flexible and staying in motels. It's a personal choice. With three small children I personally would choose a small cottage and do trips from there. That's what we have done on the Cape for more years than I care to say. Much less upheaval for the children and the Cape is compact enough that you can see a lot if you choose a central location. Perhaps consult Martha Murray Real Estate in Dennisport.

www.weneedavacation.com is good.

Skaket Beach in Orleans is a beautiful Bay beach and perfect for small children. www.wilkinsonre.com may have some small cottages available in your price range.

Sorry, I don't know much about motels, we always rent.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,036 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable accommodations for a young family of 5

You have some limitations that you need to consider which are hotels (at least two of them from what you've written) that have accommodations for 5 and watching for the minimum rental time. In season many places will have a three-day minimum. However that is more usually the case where there are fewer accommodations like the Lower and Outer Cape. I don't think you'll have that problem in Hyannis. Unfortunately you will need to drive everywhere from the Day's Inn. I don't think you'll have anyone recommending that you stay there. Can you consider Seacoast in Hyannis?

As you note the bay beaches like Mayflower in Dennis along with those in Brewster and Orleans etc are great at low tide for kids. You can do a whale watch (whales.net) from Barnstable harbor just north of Hyannis.

Be sure to check the Top Questions on the right for things you can do for free. When you arrive on Hyw 6 stop at the visitors center on that road between Hyannis and Yarmouth and pick up the tourist info for all the towns along with coupons for discounts. Be sure to get a copy of Cape Week. This is the entertainment insert to the Cape Cod Times and it has coupons and events for the week. Have fun.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable accommodations for a young family of 5

The Days Inn gets good reviews, so you could stay there and still have a good time on the Cape.

If you could slightly increase your budget then a place like the Bayside Resort in West Yarmouth would provide you with more of a vacation feel versus just staying at the Days Inn.

The Bayside gets excellent reviews, and is very close to Hyannis, and some of the Nantucket Sound beaches. Sea Gull Beach is a very nice beach and that's just a 5-10 minute drive from the Bayside.

Don't get confused by the name Bayside. It's not on the Cape Cod Bay where you want to take the kids, but on the southern side of the Cape, on Nantucket Sound. But, that wouldn't prevent you from going to a Bayside beach for the day if you wanted. It would just require a little more driving then if you were staying on the north side of the Cape.

I don't know of any places on the Bayside that are super reasonable and will take a family of 5 to 1 room, but there's probably a couple of them out there.

Here's the Bayside Resort website, and I wish you a very relaxing and fun vacation regardless of where you end up staying.

http://www.baysideresort.com/index.htm

P.S. If you want to stay right in Boston for a night or two, it might be possible at a good rate...even after factoring in the parking costs for the car. It wouldn't hurt to look, but I'll need some definite dates. So, when you figure it all out, let me know, and I'll see what's out there for the Boston portion of your trip.

Edited: 12 May 2011, 02:02
Montreal
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable accommodations for a young family of 5

Thank you all for your suggestions. My main question has kind of been answered - we're going against the norm if we don't go with a vacation rental!

I did check out the Bayside resort, but they would force us to get two rooms. Our fault for having more than two kids, I guess :)

I suppose I was thinking of somewhere that might have a two bedroom suite, but they seem few and far between, unless it's at a fancy resort.

I'll talk it over with my husband, and let you know what we end up doing.

Thanks again,

Julia

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable accommodations for a young family of 5

When the following (or preceding) week has not been rented, I have been successful negotiating and extra day on a weekly rental (sometimes without extra costs). It does not hurt to ask. Depends on the owner and how flexible they choose to be. With a June rental, that could be the case. Or you could rent for a week and get a motel for just a day or two if you don't want to leave.

nys
Level Contributor
197 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable accommodations for a young family of 5

There are many reasonably priced hotels and motels on CC. The South Yarmouth, and Hyannis areas have reasonably priced places to stay. We usually stay in South Yarmouth as we like being on the beach, and close to reasonably priced restaurants. We rented a house once on the Cape in the past 18 years. We prefer hotels, motels and condos as we like the amenities they provide, especially an indoor pool and hot tub.

9. Re: Affordable accommodations for a young family of 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 07:16