We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay memorial day weekend

Washington DC
Level Contributor
96 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
stay memorial day weekend

Hi. We r city people coming in for a relaxing break. Renting car from providence. Friday arrival and returning Sunday. Wanted a quiet place near or by water with charm. We don't like driving but doing it to get the best of. Recommendations for area to stay and lodging? Assuming we should stay away from hotels? We like to walk, bike and dine. Thanks!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
96 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay memorial day weekend

Also our hotel budget is 200 per night.And not 250. I know its late but hoping to avoid 250.

Edited: 13 May 2011, 15:04
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay memorial day weekend

Hard to keep track of everyone's ever changing prices but $200 on a holiday weekend on the water with charm. If you find it, let me know!!! Why stay away from hotels? Not as charming as a B&B but often not as expensive. I would suggest looking off the water as it is pretty close to just about anywhere. Have you looked at the lodging options here on TA or elsewhere? I just clicked on lodging and the #1 b&b on Cape Cod (do take the ratings with a serious grain of salt) does seem to have rooms in your range. Is it available? don't know but would start calling.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay memorial day weekend

Took a closer look at Liberty Hill b&b. I have never stayed there and don't know anybody who has but it looks lovely, charming and quiet and is close to the Bay. When I say to take rating with grain of salt, I mean that it may or may not be the "best" on the cape but it still looks very nice.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
96 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay memorial day weekend

Thanks, i'll look into hotels, thought B& Bs would be cheaper. and consider raising the budget..

So which towns can we stay in that we could walk to the water? i have no sense of what cape cod is like, how many miles wide and long, etc. For example, can you bike ride from Barnstable to Hyannis quickly or walk in an hour---it said almost 5 miles but that doesnt mean much as i don't know what is connected for pedestrians, etc.

I've looked a lot at this website ---but i don't have a sense of what it is like getting around on the ground.

Edited: 13 May 2011, 22:20
Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stay memorial day weekend

Take a look at the Tern Inn in West Harwich (www.theterninn.com). We stay there frequently and love it. It's not right on the water, but within walking distance of the beach. Memorial Day weekend is off season, so rates are between $89 and $129 per night, and that includes a delicious breakfast in their lovely dining room. The grounds are beautiful and quiet, with Adirondack chairs scattered about so you can enjoy a good book or the many birds that flit around the gardens.

It's a short drive from the Cape Cod Rail Trail (www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/southeast/ccrt.htm), so you could rent bikes, pack a lunch, and spend a day exploring. You could also make reservations (a must, especially on a holiday weekend) at the Ocean House in Dennis Port, and be sure to request a table that overlooks the beach.

Have a wonderful time...

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stay memorial day weekend

Cape is pretty flat but you really do want to use the trails. Lots of posts describing them and websites. Can't get them for you as on phone but of you use the search option they are easily found.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
96 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stay memorial day weekend

Wow, i just realized the top ten questions really cover all my questions. The problem is that on my droid, the Tripadvisor app doesn't show it in the screen.

i'll check back in, but if you have more lodging recommendations please let me know.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,036 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stay memorial day weekend

Less driving, quaint town, beautiful seaside bike path, more coastline than any other on the Cape, variety of restaurants = town of Falmouth. They have an excellent visitors center and can really assist in getting you accommodation info. Call them today. Bonus (besides riding the Shining Sea Bike path to Woods Hole) is that you can quite easily hop onto the Island Queen and go over to Martha's Vineyard (in just 35 min) for lunch. Hope the weather is nice for you wherever you land.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,436 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stay memorial day weekend

Even if you raise your budget finding what you want may be tricky. It's been my experience that places have a 3-night minimum on Mem Day weekend. Perhaps since you aren't booking far in advance, they'll be more flexible since they'd rather rent for 2 nights than have the place empty for all 3.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
96 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: stay memorial day weekend

So the budget is definitely raised, and 300 is not bringing much. Forgotmypword is right, i guess that is why i'm not finding anything on the regular hotel search engines---kayak, hotels.com.

What is the best search engine for B&Bs?

Or should i just start calling one by one? We are looking at Martha's vineyard now, as we thought this way we won't have to rent a car.

Thanks