We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Cod in May, September or October?

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
44 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Cod in May, September or October?

My husband and I are thinking of spending a week, maybe two, in Cape Cod next year. Thinking of May, September or October to avoid the crowds. Not sure which is a better period - a time when it's not too cold and wet and when most places are still open.

Would really appreciate some advice. Thanks!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Cod in May, September or October?

September would best, then October. The weather is still excellent in October, but some places are starting to close down. Avoid May. Spring in New England has extremely variable weather. It could be sunny in the 70s but it could also be wet and in the 40s (or even 30s). Sticking out into the ocean, Cape Cod tends to be cold in the Spring -- and damp. The surrounding water temperature will be only in the low 50s which makes it difficult for the air temperature to get much higher.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Cod in May, September or October?

September is usually lovely on the Cape.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
44 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Cod in May, September or October?

Thanks so much for the prompt and helpful responses. We will make it September!

Will two weeks at the Cape be too long?

If we stay one week in Falmouth or Mashpee and one week in Brewster or Harwich Port, does that make sense?

We'll be travelling from Malaysia, so we just want to be sure we're making the right plans so we get to see the sites and enjoy all that delicious seafood!

Thanks!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,475 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Cod in May, September or October?

Yes, that's a great idea to spend a week located in Falmouth from which you can explore Falmouth, Sandwich, Martha's Vineyard (a day trip on the ferry is easy to do) and you might even do a day trip off-Cape from that location to Plymouth or even Newport, Rhode Island. Then locating in Brewster or Harwich would give you easy access to the lower and outer Cape. I don't think two weeks is too much at all. If you can do so I would suggest that you arrive as early in Sept. as you can. Our Labor Day this year is Monday, Sept. 5. Even before that the families will be gone preparing to get the kids back to school but Labor Day is the unofficial end of summer for the Cape and the crowds. Enjoy.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Cod in May, September or October?

If you want easier access to the National Seashore towns of Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro and Provincetown as well as the lower Cape towns of Orleans, Chatham, Brewster and Harwich, consider staying in Eastham which is smack dab in the middle.....30 minutes from both Provincetown and Hyannis and less to the other towns I mentioned. The atmosphere on the outer Cape is quieter, less commercial than in Falmouth and will, IMHO, offer you a nice contrast.

6. Re: Cape Cod in May, September or October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 20:20