We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York to Cape Cod

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
New York to Cape Cod

Hello. Can anyone please advise what is he best route from New York to Cape Cod - I'll be traveling early September. Ideally, the journey will be quick and cheap... but that might be a bit hopeful.

Thanks for your response and help in advance.

Adam

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New York to Cape Cod

95 north to Providence and hop on 190 east. I believe this takes you right to the Bourne Bridge.

A stop at Mystic Ct. for lunch would be nice.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New York to Cape Cod

oops...that would be 195 east off route 95 north

Edited: 13 June 2011, 22:56
Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York to Cape Cod

If you aren't renting a car, you can catcha bus from the Port Authority in NYC to Hyannis.

www.peterpanbus.com

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
557 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York to Cape Cod

Seriously look into using the Merritt Parkway! I started using it a few yrs ago on my trips to/from FL/MA and it has saved me LOTS of time! The section of I-95 from Milford CT to NY border is almost always slow and congested.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New York to Cape Cod

Thank you for all your replys.

Adam

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,036 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York to Cape Cod

You can also fly from NY to MV (martha's vineyard) on Jet Blue and just enjoy MV (easty to do without a car) or ferry over to the Cape and visit all the towns there though that is not so easy to do without a car. If you are not going to have a car then look at the Top Questions section on the right for more info on the subject.

Wigan, England
Level Contributor
248 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York to Cape Cod

If you are thinking of renting a car to drive from NY, I was advised to look into getting the train to one of the stations such as Stamford (CT) then renting from there. Even with a one-way rental, the cost is significantly cheaper than renting from a NYC or airport location.

You can get the MTA Metro North train to Stamford for around $11pp, then pick up a car with Hertz. May be worth checking out.

We were originally planning on driving fron NYC to New Hampshire, but looks as it we will get Amtrak to Boston and pick up an Avis rental, which will save us at least £100 over renting from NYC.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,436 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York to Cape Cod

WiganTony, if you are really looking to save money, take Bolt Bus to Boston. Amtrak is approx $50 per person one way and the bus is usually under $20.

£100 = $161 so if you need to buy train tickets for more than 3 people, the train/car rental costs MORE than renting in NY.

I'm not saying your plan isn't sound ... parts of the drive from NYC to Boston are quite obnoxious ... just trying to point out the best savings.

Wigan, England
Level Contributor
248 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York to Cape Cod

Hi,

Thanks for that info. There are only three of us, but the main thing influencing the price is that we would need a one-way rental from NYC to Boston which attracts a premium. With Amtrak, we can get a 25% discount if we book 2 weeks before travelling which brings the price down to around $120.

Thanks again.

10. Re: New York to Cape Cod

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 05:18