We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions needed for day trip to cape cod area

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions needed for day trip to cape cod area

My boyfriend and I want to take his parents for a day trip to the cape cod area next saturday while they are in town visiting. None of us have ever been there and are looking for suggestions on what to do and see while we are there. We were thinking of cape cod and marthas vineyard or Nantucket but not sure of the best way to see everything. We would like to enjoy the scenery and probably find a lunch and dinner place to eat. Any suggestions would be helpful and greatly appreciated!!

conn
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions needed for day trip to cape cod area

I like Sandwitch for day trips to the cape with maybe a drive down to the national seashore visitor center if you have time

Connecticut
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions needed for day trip to cape cod area

We are going to Sandwich next month for a day trip. What places do you like to visit? Any suggestions for a nice place for lunch?

Edited: 25 June 2011, 16:56
Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions needed for day trip to cape cod area

The Dan'l Webster Inn is a good place for lunch (www.danlwebsterinn.com).

Definitely visit the Sandwich Heritage Museum (www.heritagemuseumsandgardens.org), and if you have time, the Thornton Burgess Museum (thorntonburgess.org/ThorntonBurgessMuseum.htm). A lot of people probably have no idea who Thornton Burgess was, but when I was growing up, I learned a lot about natural history from his books for children. His home, now a museum, is in a lovely spot.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions needed for day trip to cape cod area

Hi, I just responded to your post on the MV page. Here on the Cape Cod forum there is a Top Question on daytrips to the Vineyard/

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions needed for day trip to cape cod area

Just a word of caution. If you are planning to do a day trip next Saturday to the Cape from Nashua, NH, I would strongly encourage you to get an early start. Saturday is turnover day for rentals and next Saturday is also at the start of the long holiday weekend. Leave Nashua by 7 a.m. unless you willing to sit in some traffic at the bridge.

cape cod
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions needed for day trip to cape cod area

Last year I wrote a long post on Sandwich and it's virtues. I honestly don't think a day trip is enough time to do much but no way can you do the Cape and an island. I think Sandwich is a great idea. There are museums, great lunch spots, some shopping, you can drive down to Sandy Neck for an hour and walk a huge barrier beach... 7 miles of uninterrupted dunes. Go to the canal and see the Coast Guard museum there, a working port, and a quick walk on the paved canal walk/bike trail to boat/ship watch. I agree with a previous poster, don't miss Heritage Plantation, art, history, gardens and an old fashion restored carousel all in one spot. The Hoxie house, glass museum, and the grist mill are right downtown too.

If you'd like to see what the Cape looks like from the air, try it in a bright red Snoopy biplane (I've done it a number of times) you'll get to see how woodsy we really are, lakes, beachs, the Vineyard from the distance, P-town, etc. It's a great view and 2 people can ride at one time. Not windy or scary.

capecodairfield.com/Cape_Cod_Airfield/Welcom…

Susan!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions needed for day trip to cape cod area

I am not sure if you are travelling down route 93 but please be aware that the major construction project on the weekends is causing traffic slowdowns. I've been trying to avoid the situation by heading 93 South to 128 South (exit 37B)

Methuen
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
524 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions needed for day trip to cape cod area

I would second all the suggestions -- regarding traffic on 93 -- an added traffic mess from stoneham through sommerville . This slows the typical trip on a non workday at least another 30 -40 minutes. I would suggest if you do live in Nashua to take Route 3 to 128 to avoid this mess -and continue on 128 . - hopefully you are starting out form Boston and that would change most of the issue . I would suggest you still leave early to avoid the vacationers who will be on the road .

Sandwich is your best bet -

Edited: 26 June 2011, 15:35
Connecticut
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions needed for day trip to cape cod area

Thanks for all of your advice. Sandwich looks like a very interesting place to visit!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,314 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions needed for day trip to cape cod area

But no one mentioned walking out over the marsh to the beach (or start at the beach end which is a little easier to find) on their famous boardwalk, my favorite thing to do in Sandwich. It won't take much time either. Hope you can somehow work this all in. BTW if it gets late and you've missed lunch you can get a bite or much more right in town at Dunbar's Tea Shop until 4 or 4:30.