We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday July 1 Update- Mid and Lower Cape News

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Friday July 1 Update- Mid and Lower Cape News

This is my first 4th of July on Cape Cod in 10 years. The traffic is heavy all over. Plan an extra 10 min. to get where you are going. If you need to shop for food or get gas, go NOW. Yesterday lines were already insane. My friends dined at Sesuit Cafe last night. They had a parking attendant and there were lines but food came fast. The weather is GLORIOUS. Fireworks tonight at Rock Harbor in Orleans and at DY High School in Yarmouth.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
49 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friday July 1 Update- Mid and Lower Cape News

This kind of traffic and crowds is normal for 4th of July. Really any summer weekend you should factor in traffic time wherever you go and double it during holiday weekends.

Save Reply
2. Re: Friday July 1 Update- Mid and Lower Cape News

I need to leave Provincetown after lunch on Tuesday July 5 to return to Albany, NY. I'm wondering if you have any idea how bad the traffic will be getting off the cape Tues afternoon, specifically how long it'll take me to get over the bridge? Or should I scrap lunch plans and leave first thing in the morning? Any advice would be great! I'm still learning cape traffic patterns.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,223 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friday July 1 Update- Mid and Lower Cape News

I will be leaving around the same time and don't expect to have any problems. Leaving the cape, traffic tends to be more spread out under any circumstances. The problem is the bottleneck when everyone wants to get over a 2 lane bridge at the same time and then circumnavigating a rotary.

Save Reply
4. Re: Friday July 1 Update- Mid and Lower Cape News

Yes the rotary is a huge bottle neck. I'm just trying to estimate time. I know it'll take 1.5 hours to get from Provincetown to the bridge on a good day. It took me 2 hours of stopped bumper to bumper traffic to get over the bridge on Memorial Day weekend. Do you think it's a 3.5 hour trip to get off the cape, plus another 3.5 hours to Albany? Thanks.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,446 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friday July 1 Update- Mid and Lower Cape News

TravellingNat ... one rainy day, MIDweek, last August it took me nearly FOUR hours to get from Truro to the 93/95 split. You just never know .... weather, a car with a flat tire on the side of the road or a kite stuck on a light post are all capable of causing huge backups. Just go with a good attitude and hope for the best.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Friday July 1 Update- Mid and Lower Cape News

Tuesday shouldn't be so bad (of course as FMP notes anything can happen) I left the Vineyard Wednesday of last week, got to the Rotary around 11 am, waited about 10 minutes in traffic and then had smooth sailing the rest of the way up to the up 25 to 495 to the Mass Pike.

7. Re: Friday July 1 Update- Mid and Lower Cape News

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 10:20