We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Batten down the hatches!!!

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Batten down the hatches!!!

For those of you who are on the Cape or planning to visit the Cape within the next 5-6 days PLEASE be aware that we are expecting a major hurricane this weekend...probably on Sunday. It is a good idea to start thinking of your exit plan now. Friday is not too early to leave.

There are often huge delays in getting off cape before a storm.

Also keep in mind that 20 years ago, when hurricane Bob (a category 1 storm) hit the cape much of the cape was without electricity for an entire week. I am currently turning away requests for lodging next week until we see how the storm plays out. If you have a reservation for next week, it might be a good idea to check with your lodging establishment before arriving .

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,675 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Batten down the hatches!!!

It was no fun during the aftermath of Hurricane Bob. We were on well water in Eastham so didn't have water or electricity for the best part of a week. A lot of the restaurants couldn't open. Lined up for water at the firehall when the water we had saved ran out. No fun not being able to flush toilets. Our friends who were in Orleans fared better as they had town water and their stove used gas. Have to decide what to do soon as we are due on the Cape on Saturday.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Batten down the hatches!!!

The bridge closes with 80 mph wind I recall. Heading back early to take care of Mom and the house. Fingers crossed!

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Batten down the hatches!!!

I believe that the bridge closes if wind gusts to 70mph. Here is the official exit strategy for those who are interested.

mass.gov/Eeops/docs/mema/disaster_recovery/2…

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Batten down the hatches!!!

I am sure the bridge will close at some point Sunday...

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Batten down the hatches!!!

More about the bridges etc.

…cbslocal.com/2011/…

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,168 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Batten down the hatches!!!

I'm out of here first thing Sat morning mainly cuz I gotta batten down the hatches at home (just outside of Boston -- my town is coastal, but I live inland.)

Question .. .is it my imagination or have gas prices jumped 30 cents or more in the last couple of days in anticipation of the storm?

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Batten down the hatches!!!

I have recently heard rumors about one of the bridges being closed to east-bound traffic to facilitate the hoard of tourists leaving before the storm. The emergency management folks do not want the kind of 8 hour back-up of traffic that occurred with Eduardo several years ago. If you are planning to arrive on the Cape this weekend, you should be prepared for detours, or even the possibility that you will not be allowed onto the Cape.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,941 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Batten down the hatches!!!

I heard that too Yellowbird but they seemed to be talking about the Bourne bridge.

Montclair, New...
Level Contributor
346 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Batten down the hatches!!!

Sad to consider cutting our time short but we are now considering leaving tonight after reading this. Wondering how bad it will it be getting out if we did it at 6am tomorrow? Looks like they may have already closed the beach by us though. I assume this is due to rip currents because the storm is still a few days away. The irony in all this is we are heading back towards Irene! Worrying about her has been the only "dark cloud" over us the entire week, as we have had great weather. I will defer to the locals here on what we should do. Thanks as always and those of you staying please be safe.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Batten down the hatches!!!

Times, can you stay?

I am set to take the P-B bus from Logan to Cape Cod tomorrow night..wish me luck...