We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is an Inn a bed and breakfast?

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
128 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Is an Inn a bed and breakfast?

I am just beginning to research for a possible trip to Cape Cod in June 2012 for 4 fifty-ish women. I have looked at reviews of numerous lodgings, and I am getting the impression that on Cape Cod, the numerous "inns" are similar to a bed and breakfast. Am I right in that thought?

Would appreciate any advice about a place to stay that would be close to one of the many small villages with easy access to other places. We will fly into Providence, RI so will have a car. We enjoy sight-seeing, shopping, eating and just relaxing. When we travel we usually stay at a mid-priced hotel for the area. A suite would be nice, but not a requirement. Thanks!

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is an Inn a bed and breakfast?

Most inns where we've stayed do offer breakfast, but some don't. We love the Tern Inn in West Harwich (www.theterninn.com), which I've reviewed here on TripAdvisor. It's in a great location for exploring either end of the Cape. They offer inn rooms or cottages. Although the cottages do not include breakfast, you might ask about renting the Seagull (three bedrooms, bathroom, kitchenette and living room) and adding the breakfast option for an extra charge.

conn
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is an Inn a bed and breakfast?

My definition is: A Bed and breakfasts are generally a home where rooms are rented and breakfast served by the homeowner. An Inn is usually larger building in which rooms are rented like a hotel would, it would also offer more amenities.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is an Inn a bed and breakfast?

We stayed at a great place in Ohio that's called the Columbiana Inn Bed & Breakfast, so some places sort of combine the terms.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is an Inn a bed and breakfast?

On Cape Cod the term Bed and Breakfast applies to a wide range of accommodations so it is best to research the individual place check out the web site, research the reviews and ask many questions.

I am the innkeeper of a small B+B (that is sometimes called an inn) in Eastham. Here is my take on the terminology B+B/Inn.

There are small B+Bs that are home-stays like the traditional B+B's you might find in Europe where you share common space with the owners and there are other small B+Bs that are like small boutique inns where the owners have totally separate quarters. Some B+Bs have cottages in addition to the rooms in the house. You can usually count on breakfast being included in the rate but, again, it is best to ask as some B+Bs offer "help yourself to the refrigerator" type breakfasts while others offer a more abundant "sit-down served multi course" affair. Small B+Bs are typically owned and managed by the same persons...quite often without additional staff.

An Inn may be a bed and breakfast inn (so it may call itself a B+B), or it may just offer accommodations. You may be able to purchase a breakfast at an inn if it is not included. Most places that call themselves inns have at least 5 rooms and may be managed by someone other than the owner. Generally an inn has staff for housekeeping, front desk and maintenance chores.

On Cape Cod there are also a number of motels that call themselves inns or bed and breakfasts especially if they offer muffins, juice and coffee in the morning. Be careful...if you are looking for an accommodation with the personality of a B+B you will not be happy with some "inns" because they really are motels. (Typically you can park you car in front of the unit you are occupying)

5. Re: Is an Inn a bed and breakfast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 01:21