We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beachfront

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Beachfront

Thanks to everyone on here for trying to help.

Have had no success trying to identify a rental that meets the following for late October

Must be on beach or at least just a lawn away!

Cost around $1000 for week

Be strolling distance to village for eating/browsing round wee shops (not fussy if they are touristy) just something I can do to while away time & leave hubby at beach or we can both stroll to for eating

We will have a car so anywhere on Cape is possible.

Did like the look of Onsett but its not exactly Cape is it? Anything similar on Cape itself?

Thanks

Rettie

OceanQuest
Sightseeing Tours
Blue Claw Boat Tours
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Chatham Boat Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beachfront

I'm assuming that your husband is aware that he may not want to spend much time on the beach in late October. Cape Cod is not the Caribbean and it could be quite cold and sometimes very windy by that time. Nothing compares to being sandblasted while trying to get some rays!!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beachfront

Just realised that I've answered your previous posts with much the same comment. Others have also tried to help. I'm not sure what else we can do for you. It's really up to you to make a decision. What was wrong with Fiddler's Green?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beachfront

The renter said there was nothing within walking other than a couple of restaurants, shops were over a mile!

Hubby not interested in catching the rays, just likes the idea of it being relaxing watching the waves from wherever we end up either from deck or from inside curled up with his book, he doesn't get much chance to do that at home.

Everyone has been very helpful, just felt I hadn't been too clear of our expectations.

Would love to go with Fiddlers Green if I thought I could take a walk to occupy myself if I fancied a break away on my own.

Have looked at New Seabury, even contacted Poppanesett Market Place, they say not much will be open.

I know its late in year but we wanted to combine a trip to see the Fall Colours with his birthday.

Thanks

Rettie

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beachfront

What about this? www.covehouserentals.com On the Town Cove in the middle of Orleans. Shopping and restaurants galore to walk to. right opposite The Bird Watchers Store, one of my favourites. Orleans is a "proper" town and very central for getting to other parts of the Cape. Not much in the way of waves on the Cove but it's a lovely spot to look out at the water. There may even be some boats still around.

The rent is higher than you want to pay but I suggest that if you are interested that you ask if they can offer you a better deal. There's a big Stop and Shop across the road so you would save by making some of your meals.

Mentioned in this post
Orleans
Orleans
Cape Cod, MA
The Cove at Yarmouth
The Cove at Yarmouth
431 Reviews
West Yarmouth, MA
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beachfront

The cottages are owned by the Ship's Knees Inn which is down by Nauset Beach and is a beautiful place. Not good for you though as it is not in walking distance of the main town.

Mentioned in this post
Ship's Knees Inn
Ship's Knees Inn
270 Reviews
East Orleans, MA
Nauset Beach
Nauset Beach
590 Reviews
Orleans, MA
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beachfront

This may also suit. www.thecoveorleans.com Also on the Town Cove but closer to the centre of Orleans. Almost across from the Christmas Tree Shop, lovely for all kinds of bargain shopping. The rates are better than the cottages for a waterfront room and you can walk all around the town from there.

Gets good reviews and has been there for many years. We have been staying in Orleans for about 40 years and walk past it frequently.

Edited: 17 May 2012, 17:19
Mentioned in this post
Orleans
Orleans
Cape Cod, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,295 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beachfront

Relatives of mine stay at the Cove frequently, so repeat visitors are a good sign. Another suggestion - The Winstead Inn in Harwich on the beach & easy walking to shops & restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
The Cove at Yarmouth
The Cove at Yarmouth
431 Reviews
West Yarmouth, MA
Harwich
Harwich
Cape Cod, MA
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beachfront

Thanks, will take a look at them & let hubby see. Hadn't thought of staying that far out but like the sound of the shops!

They seem to have a 3 night special on for the Fall, will see what they will do for a full week.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beachfront

Orleans and Harwichport are both good choices and about an hour from the start of the Cape.

Mentioned in this post
Orleans
Orleans
Cape Cod, MA
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,856 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beachfront

You would have more options both for you and for your husband if you didn't insist that you must visit shops on foot. Is it the case that you don't drive? If so I really don't think that you can get everything that you want at that time of year, sorry to say. Too bad that you are coming to the Cape in the off season. Even coming at the end of Sept. would give you more shopping and even accommodation options. Would you be better off visiting Florida if you can't change your dates? Try Clearwater Beach

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Clearwater Beach
Clearwater Beach
9,846 Reviews
Clearwater, FL