We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lobster rolls made with butter anywhere on the Cape?

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
lobster rolls made with butter anywhere on the Cape?

We visit my mom in West Dennis each August. I've been searching for lobster rolls made with butter (not mayo, which I cant eat) but have yet to find any. Does anyone know of a good place on the Cape to get them? I'm willing to go pretty much anywhere as we'll be visiting all over the Cape during our stay.

Thanks!

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
549 reviews
from US$89.10*
US$99.00
Go Boston Card
122 reviews
from US$57.00*
Fall on Cape Cod: Day Trip from...
84 reviews
from US$76.00*
Cape Cod Fast Ferry
37 reviews
from US$54.00*
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: lobster rolls made with butter anywhere on the Cape?

Why not make your own? You can buy cooked lobster meat at any of the fish places.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,648 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lobster rolls made with butter anywhere on the Cape?

I've seen them on the Menu at "The Red Shack" in Provincetown. It's strictly take out .. .near MacMillan Pier.

I believe this is on the Red Shack's menu as "Connecticut Style" ... a quick search of that gave me some links to other discussions you may find helpful:

yelp.com/topic/cape-cod-lobster-roll-with-bu…

They talk about mayo here, but in one of the responses, somebody mentions a place in Bourne taht does the butter style.

best-of-cape-cod.com/the-best-cape-cod-lobst…

Happy Planning!

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lobster rolls made with butter anywhere on the Cape?

Check with the Wee Packet in Dennisport, right near the Sundae School. They might be able to do it for you.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lobster rolls made with butter anywhere on the Cape?

The "99 Pub and Restaurant" is a regional chain with properties throughout New England. Their very-recently-released Summer menu includes a lobster roll made with melted butter instead of mayo.... their website shows Cape Cod locations in Centerville, Fairhaven, Mashpee and West Yarmouth....

Haven't tried the melted butter version, but their traditional lobster roll, also on the menu for the summer, is a reasonable facsimile of what we get at some of the local seafood shacks.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,510 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lobster rolls made with butter anywhere on the Cape?

Lobster rolls with warm lobster meat and melted butter are still relatively uncommon. "Lazy man's lobster" is a more common offering. It's chunks of shelled lobster meat in a small, shallow casserole dish with melted butter, and sometimes a light sprinkling of toasted buttery crumbs. Similar in presentation to New England baked/broiled scallops or haddock. You eat it with a fork

If having it sandwich style in a toasted hot dog bun is not a priority, go for it!

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lobster rolls made with butter anywhere on the Cape?

oh my gosh..food snob I am but really, 99? Sigh..ok, JT's in Brewster has them hot with butter. Also, Sesuit Cafe served my friend fresh lobster with melted l butter (May).

Edited: 06 June 2012, 00:10
CT
Level Contributor
205 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lobster rolls made with butter anywhere on the Cape?

This is so disapointing!I love lobster rolls.not lobster SALAD rolls.they do them right at our beaches in CT and I just assumed it would be the same but better on the cape :(

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,648 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lobster rolls made with butter anywhere on the Cape?

jmestyle ... I tell my kids that part of the reason we travel is to learn about things that are different than they are at home. If we want everything to be the same, we should just stay home!!!

I don't care for " clam chowder" that is made with tomatoes and without milk ... and I prefer my hotdogs with raw onions, not those stewed in tomato sauce ... but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy eating in Manhattan.

You'll find plenty of food options (including some butter style lobster rolls) and things to do on the Cape. You'll enjoy yourself even if you can't find your ideal lobster roll in every place you dine!!!

CT
Level Contributor
205 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lobster rolls made with butter anywhere on the Cape?

I think we are in luck! Sesuit Harbor Cafe in Dennis, has the best hot lobster rolls :)

(according to the reviews on TA)

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g41523-d46…

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lobster rolls made with butter anywhere on the Cape?

Arnold's in Eastham also does a lobster roll with butter. It's right on rte. 6, and a great stop after the beach. I don't care for the mayonnaise either!