We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are visiting the Cape and thinking of driving to Boston

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
We are visiting the Cape and thinking of driving to Boston

on a Sunday? ? Is this crazy or will it be OK if we leave early morning Sunday and return late Sunday night? Since we have a 'reverse commute' will we be avoiding traffic.

There are 4 of us so the Ferry is too pricey of an option. Also we have friends we want to visit on the day Sunday. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We are visiting the Cape and thinking of driving to Boston

Although I don't have nearly the level of experience with travel to and from the Cape that several others on this board have, I think your plan is sensible. Especially if you really do get an early start in the morning, I doubt you'll have any major traffic issues.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,083 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We are visiting the Cape and thinking of driving to Boston

Saturday is the big turnover day for people who are doing cottage rentals. Others who are doing weekend stays will likely stay until later Sunday. It sounds like a good plan.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,330 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: We are visiting the Cape and thinking of driving to Boston

Agree. Sounds like a good strategy. Leave early to maximize your time.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,436 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We are visiting the Cape and thinking of driving to Boston

On caveat .. if it's rainy, sometimes weekenders go home early. In that case, get over the bridge by 10 and you should be ok.

Boston...
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We are visiting the Cape and thinking of driving to Boston

Bear in mind that in Boston, you won't need a car. You may want to take the cost of all-day parking, tolls, and gas into consideration when making the decision to drive vs. taking the ferry. Also, taking the ferry is much, much faster than driving (depending on where you'll be staying on the Cape). Good luck!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,436 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We are visiting the Cape and thinking of driving to Boston

Slinky, the ferry is $83 round trip per adult. ($62 or $63 per child, depending on which one you take). Parking at the Boston Common Garage on a sunday is $11. There are no tolls between Provincetown and Boston. It costs me $80 to fill up my mini-van and unless traffic is EXTREMELY heavy, I can go round-trip on less than a tank of gas.

So ... while the ferry is quite pleasant and good if you don't have a car, it is hardly cost effective if you've got more than one person travelling and you have a car.

Also, when it comes to day trips, the ferry is timed for people in Boston who want to go to P-town, not vice versa. The earliest ferry to leave P-town is 10:30 am on Baystate; and the last to leave Boston is 6:30pm on Boston Harbor Cruises. It doesn't give you much time in the city and if you really want to take the earliest and the latest, you are travelling with two different companies and need two one-way tickets, which are more expensive than one round trip.

I think the original plan is the best.

Edited: 13 July 2012, 14:30
7. Re: We are visiting the Cape and thinking of driving to Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2013, 05:17