We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine along the way?

Torbay
Level Contributor
89 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Wine along the way?

On Sunday, September 16 we are driving from Moncton, New Brunswick to the Sesuit Harbor House in East Dennis. It will be about a 10 hour drive and I am hoping to be there by 6:00PM. I am not sure what time stores will close that time of year and I think we would enjoy a glass of wine upon arrival. Are there stores close that will be selling wine on a Sunday evening in September? Maybe a place along the way we should stop? We will also be looking for a light snack/supper - perhaps a restaurant or even something as simple as bread and cheese and sit outside.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,931 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine along the way?

You might not feel like getting back in the car for much more of a ride after eating and having some wine so why not stop close to your destination. We have enjoyed a light meal a variety of nice appetisers in the bar at Summer Stock http://summerstockrestaurant.com/index.html and you can get all manner of light meals/apps/soup/salad also at nearby Scargo Cafe http://www.scargocafe.com/# These are both in close vicinity at Bass River Rd and 6A near your accommodations. As far as I can tell all liquor on the Cape is sold in Liquor Stores and not grocerty stores. If you are driving in on Hwy 6 then there is a liquor store in the Patriot Sq shopping center a few doors south of Stop & Shop or inside the smaller shopping center across the street inside Ring Bros. Whether these will be open after 6PM on Sunday or not I don't know. If you decide to check either of these then you will use exit 9A Dennisport instead of 9B Dennis Village in order to head east and not west to your ultimate destination.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
985 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine along the way?

Most package stores (alcohol sales) are open until 10 or 11 pm. I can't imagine them closing early in September which is still tourist season.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine along the way?

Package stores close at 6 (could even be 5) on Sundays, 10 or 11 all other nights.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine along the way?

CCC, some supermarkets sell alcohol, Friends in Orleans for instance. However they do not sell on Sundays, the alcohol lanes are roped off.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine along the way?

I was so used to growing up with the Sunday blue laws, that I never realized that Ma had changed its laws in 2004. In all my visits to the Bay State since then, I have, in an almost Pavlonian fashion, always made sure I purchased enough booze on Saturday to get me to Monday. Thank you Mitt Romney (this is not a political endorsement- just a recognition that it is his name on the bill).

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine along the way?

Luke's Liquor on Rt. 6A in Brewster is open until 8pm on Sundays, year-round

http://www.lukes1.com/ they have a great wine selection

the address is 15 Lower Rd. & it is 3 miles east of Sesuit Harbor House.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,964 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine along the way?

You can easily stop at the NH State Liquor Store on Rt. 95 southbound. It has it's own dedicated exit so you don't even have to get off of the highway.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine along the way?

I would stop at the NH State Liquor store off 95 on the way down, if that is your route. They have bathrooms there as well, if you need to make a stop. No food, though.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine along the way?

Northside Liquors just opened a fairly sizable store close to the intersection of 6A and 134, quite close to where you will be staying. They have a nice selection of wines. Don't know their Sunday hours but I will check. My vote for a light and pleasant meal would be the Harvest Gallery Cafe & Wine Bar off of 6A in East Dennis, where you could order a cheese plate or various other delicious small plates. Just make sure it will be open when you arrive.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine along the way?

Northside Liquors at 6A and 134 in East Dennis is open until 7:00 p.m. on Sundays and that will not change in September.