We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is planning a trip mid June with young kids (7-4) a mistake

DC
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is planning a trip mid June with young kids (7-4) a mistake

Or will there still be enough to do if you can't beach every day?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,227 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is planning a trip mid June with young kids (7-4) a mistake

Why would that be a mistake? I'm a little confused. What do you do with your kids now if you can't go to the beach?

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,331 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is planning a trip mid June with young kids (7-4) a mistake

There's plenty of things for the kids to do and there's even two publications full of info about kids activities. There's more to do to keep families busy in the midCape area. Take a look on the right under Top Questions at Rainy Day and Free Things also.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,785 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is planning a trip mid June with young kids (7-4) a mistake

Most of us around here consider mid-June beach weather. And you have the advantage is that most Massachusetts school kids are in school until late June, so it may not be quite as crowded as late June/early July.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,331 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is planning a trip mid June with young kids (7-4) a mistake

http://www.kidsonthecape.com/suggested.html

This is just one of the publications that I saw on google when I was looking for this link for you. This free publication is free and comes out monthly. It is everywhere.

The Cape is very welcoming to families and there are plenty of kids around in the summer.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is planning a trip mid June with young kids (7-4) a mistake

Don't expect OC weather or water temp but a mistake. No... plenty to do from mini golf to climbing light houses

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is planning a trip mid June with young kids (7-4) a mistake

Another resource is www.capecodkidz.com

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is planning a trip mid June with young kids (7-4) a mistake

Things generally start to open up and start up after Memorial Day but the water will be cold for swimming. My kids often wore wet suits at Marconi Beach well into July but the Atlantic is always cold, imo. Whale watches will have started up and all the ice cream stands will be open. The crowds will not yet have arrived in droves. That's a good thing.

Level Contributor
205 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is planning a trip mid June with young kids (7-4) a mistake

I think that is a good time for kids, as it won't be crazy busy and everything will be open. As for water temperature, I'd go to the bay at low tide and the water should be good. The whales may be migrating and the seals will have their babies. If it rains you can go Duckpin bowling ice skating, Wally's , out to eat, the museum, go to the Audubon society in welfleet, go to the national seashore (small) museum. Just a few ideas.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is planning a trip mid June with young kids (7-4) a mistake

We've visited Cape Cod over Memorial Day the past few years with our daughter (she's now five) and have never been bored. We go to the beaches every day, even though we aren't swimming. We would typically plan a visit to a bay side beach each day around low tide - it's fun to walk and look for snails, clams, crabs, etc. My daughter also was content to just play in the sand, walk along the beach, fly a kite, explore, etc. We also found walks to do and daily ice cream stops are always a plus :)

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,014 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is planning a trip mid June with young kids (7-4) a mistake

Their are nature trails all over the Cape.

There are two National Seashore Visitor Centers: In Eastham is the Salt Pond Visitors Center and also a smaller center in Provincetown.