We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Towns on the cape

Bromley
Level Contributor
203 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Towns on the cape

Hi, looking for some advice having decided to take our family to the cape this August. We are a family of 5 (3 teens), and whilst I can find lots of info on beaches, walking etc i can't seem to find anything on the towns themselves. We like somewhere we can potter round window shopping and in the eve a stroll along a boardwalk choosing from a selection of bars and restaurants. Any suggestions for something with a bit of life?

Also, activities for teens? Museums and beaches alone don't really cut it.......

Many thanks

John

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Towns on the cape

Look to the right under Top Questions.

Bromley
Level Contributor
203 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Towns on the cape

thanks AlanM, i did that, but there are plenty of contrasting views and no info on the towns themselves, just eulegies of the beaches......ie what towns have a shopping precinct rather than just tourist shops, what towns are good in the eve, what towns have a centre rather than just the odd restaurant....where can we walk along a promenade, etc etc

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Towns on the cape

It sounds like you guys would enjoy Hyannis, but you don't need to stay there. You could stay in a town mid cape like Yarmouth or Dennis and then drive to Hyannis when you want more action. There's a main street with lots of shops and restaurants. It's lively at night in the summer. There's tons of mini golf around every where you look. Teens would probably enjoy that, along with the beach, and probably enjoying their electronic devices like at home, lol.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Towns on the cape

I don't think that there are any towns on Cape Cod with the type of boardwalk that you describe. If you want to stroll a boardwalk with bars and restaurants you should look at Wildwood or other towns in New Jersey.

Sandwich as a boardwalk, but no bars or restaurants along it. Most Cape Cod boardwalks are more the nature trail type.

conn
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Towns on the cape

I like to stay centrally located on the cape IMO,(Chatham or Orleans). When my kids were teens (not long ago), we usually went to the national seashore(out on the cape), they loved to body and boogie board surf. This entertained them all day. We packed lunch,chairs, blanket and got to the beach early (by 11 am) and were there all day( until 3 pm). During the week we usually went 2-3 day. We always incuded a day trip with a whale watching trip in Provincetown. If you get an early whale watch and spend afternoon/evening in Ptown, it can be a all day thing. Plenty of things to do and see in Ptown. Chatham has a great downtown, good for walking and dinner. Almost all towns have the famous Cape Cod baseball league, even if they don't have an interest it is a must do at least one night. It's free, bring a lawn chair and your own pizza. My favorite fields are Chatham and Orleans. One evening we usually headed down Rt 28 towards Yarmouthport and went mini golfing and go carting.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 16:03
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,014 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Towns on the cape

"eulegies of the beaches" that's funny! if you actually read through the posts under "Which town?" you will find lots of good info beyond beach descriptions. Busier "downtowns" are found in Falmouth, Hyannis, Orleans, Harwich and Provincetown.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,075 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Towns on the cape

Yes, if you want to stroll a boardwalk you find those on the Jersey shore. I grew up on the Jersey shore in summer though and find Cape Cod to be much more diverse and interesting with so much more to do and see and far more natural beauty as well as better museums, far better restaurants, a nice variety of entertainment including live theater and so much more.

Mid Cape is Hyannis. If you want to locate on the Lower and Outer Cape then the center of that area would be Orleans.

Every town has a lot to offer but the closest to what you describe about walking along a boardwalk and choosing from a lot of diffenent venues for dining and entertainment would be Hyannis and the gay enclave at land's end which is Provincetown.

To get the town by town description that you want get your hands on An Explorer's Guide: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket by Kim Grant, 9th edition.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,716 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Towns on the cape

No shopping precincts on the Cape, thank goodness. No promenades, no boardwalks lined with highrise hotesl etc. Go to a seaside town in the U.K. if you want that or perhaps some parts of Florida. Kendrick has given you a list of towns with shopping and restaurant centres, I can recommend Orleans where we have been staying for many moons. Our children grew up staying there every year and seemed happy.

Our vacations were similar to what ddavep describes and still are in some respects. The miles of unspoiled beaches which hug the ocean in the National Seashore. The lovely Bay beaches which run for miles and which are wonderful for walking when the tide goes out leaving miles of flats with rock pools to explore. The beautiful marshes, don't miss Fort Hill.

9. Re: Towns on the cape

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 05:19