We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What town to stay in during July alone with 2 small kids

San Francisco
13 posts
Save Topic
What town to stay in during July alone with 2 small kids

I'm from California and never been to Cape Cod. Thought it would be a cinch, but now and realizing so many little towns!

I want to stay in a place my kids will have something to do, be on the beach and walk to a town, but not a huge town. I've looked at Ocean Edge and Red Jacket, but can't get a sense if we can walk into a town. HELP! There are so many options.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,181 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What town to stay in during July alone with 2 small kids

put "beach and town" in the search box above and you will find this discussed a number of times.

Let me suggest that being able to walk to beach and town is not that important which is attested to by the fact that most people vacationing on the cape cannot do both and many can't do either.

Look at Poppenesset in New Seabury which is a resort type place with a nice little retail center and on the water. But, truthfully, you can pick any town. We have stayed at RJ with kids were younger and enjoyed immensely. Wish there was one answer for you.

You may get 30 responses all suggesting someplace different which won't help you much.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,402 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What town to stay in during July alone with 2 small kids

You cannot walk to town from Ocean Edge (there is no town center in Brewster) nor from Red Jacket.

Can you afford Chatham Bars Inn right on the beach? You could walk to the charming downtown but it would be better if you rode the short distance on their summer shuttle.

I like the idea of New Seabury but suggest that you call them since there are a lot of choices there ....too many to sort through imho. Individual cottage owners also rent their places through homeaway and weneedavacation.com but you need to be sure that it comes with a guest membership if you want to use the pool for example and they have a kids program so that means there should be lots of kids to hang with yours.

If you want something more economical then we can make other suggestions.

What have you found so far that appeals to you? How long will you be staying and what month will you arrive?

Edited: 20 February 2013, 03:57
Greenfield...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What town to stay in during July alone with 2 small kids

If your children are small, you are right to check in Brewster, where Ocean Edge is. We summered in Brewster for 30 years and our now grown children love to bring their little ones. The tide on the bayside beaches goes way, way out leaving pools to play, walks to take out to the water and swimming in warm water when the tide comes in. But why stay at a resort? Rent a cottage somewhere off Lower Rd, get a sticker for a town beach and enjoy. The store, the library, the Natural history museum are all nearby. You'll love it.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,402 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What town to stay in during July alone with 2 small kids

Wanderfully, where is Lower Rd? Do you by any chance mean Lower County Rd which runs through the beach village of Dennisport? You are right that there are a good numbers of cottages/summer homes to rent in that area, plenty of kids during the summer and things to do in this area but, alas, I wonder if the OP will find her way back to this board.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,591 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What town to stay in during July alone with 2 small kids

Lower Road branches off of 6A and then rejoins 6A just before Harwich Road.

Anyway, I recommend Wellfleet. There is a small town center with a variery to shops and places to eat. Mayo Beach is fine for youngsters and there are more places to eat within easy walking distance from the beach. You also have the harbor with lots of boats for kids to check out.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What town to stay in during July alone with 2 small kids

There's no real town center in Yarmouth that you could walk to from the RJ. But, I would assume if you're coming to the cape that you'll have a car. It's a very quick drive to Hyannis from Yarmouth if you want to walk around a down town area.

San Francisco
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What town to stay in during July alone with 2 small kids

Thank you all! I'll be there for the week of July 23 and I don't think I want to rent a cottage as if it's just me and the 2 kids it might get a little tedious. Can you tell me if Wellfleet, Brewster or Eastham are good for beaches and have a little town center?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,000 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What town to stay in during July alone with 2 small kids

Wellfleet has a small town centre. Eastham and Brewster are spread out along 6 and 6A respectively. No town centre. All have beaches. Eastham and Wellfleet have beaches on the Bay and ocean. Brewster just on the Bay.

Orleans may be a good choice. Skaket, which is perfect for small children and Nauset for the big ocean beach. A very nice town centre with shops, restaurants etc. Mini golf and several icecream places.

Edited: 01 March 2013, 19:52
Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What town to stay in during July alone with 2 small kids

We had Thanksgiving in Chatham and appreciated the little downtown area. We ate at the Wayside Inn on main there. That inn is next to a park and a short walk to a little beach and is close to restaurants.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,402 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What town to stay in during July alone with 2 small kids

No town center in Brewster nor Eastham. There is a tiny and charming town center in Wellfleet however the beach that you would walk to on the Bay is not the among the top Cape beaches. You can drive to the other side, the dramatic and beautiful ocean beaches. Try Cahoon Hollow if you can climb down (and back up) the tall dunes.