We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I worry about large amounts of cyclists on August 4?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Should I worry about large amounts of cyclists on August 4?

Well this is a trick question and hopefully my TA friends will forgive me again. There will be thousands of bike riders heading over the Bourne Bridge very early Sunday August 4 heading all the way to Provincetown for day 2 of a 160 mile ride. These riders will be raising over 36 million dollars for cancer research at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Not one penny of the money raised goes towards administrative costs, it is all for research. I am one of these riders and hope that you will consider donating to this cause using the link below.

http://www.pmc.org/profile/JN0106

Yes, you should worry about us. Not because we will be clogging the roads (not really) but because we need your support. If you will be on the cape, please pull up a chair along the route and cheer us on. It is an amazing experience to witness as over 3000 riders will be passing by, each one representing a piece of the ultimate cure.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I worry about large amounts of cyclists on August 4?

I just wanted to say that what you're doing is amazing! That is quite a ride and it's fantastic that all the money goes to research. My dad died from a brain tumor, so I know how much cancer sucks. I hope you reach your goal!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I worry about large amounts of cyclists on August 4?

Bm

Thanks. My mom had same horrible disease. The camaraderie and emotion of this weekend are beyond what I had imagined. The riders are supported by thousands of volunteers who feed us, bring drinks, play music, give massages, and fix tires not to mention setting up and breaking down the fabulous water stops. The roads are lined with supporters as if this was the tour de France. My only regret is not starting this sooner. But at 57, i am one of the young guys so looking forward to many more years.

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I worry about large amounts of cyclists on August 4?

My brother in law is going thru it now,, it's very hard, but he has a great attitude, bless him.

We'll be cheering y'all on.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I worry about large amounts of cyclists on August 4?

One of my goals this this year is to physically carry the names of those who my contributers have donated in honor of or in Memory of. It will be a powerful way for me to feel connected to those who we are riding for. Hope I can add your brother in law

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I worry about large amounts of cyclists on August 4?

I'm interested in helping out/volunteering for this event, having some difficulty on the website

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I worry about large amounts of cyclists on August 4?

I tried to get into the volunteer section without a problem. You will be hard pressed to do anything more meaningful because the riders don't succeed without the support of everyone who puts this huge event together.

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I worry about large amounts of cyclists on August 4?

Neslaw, my brother in law has just passed. We'd be honored if you'd carry his name with you on your ride thru capecod, as it was a special place for him, vacationing here as a child, and in later years, bringing his family to enjoy the fishing here, etc. thanks.

8. Re: Should I worry about large amounts of cyclists on August 4?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 05:15