We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Cod to New Port

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Cod to New Port

We are visiting the Cape in June for the first time and have limited time (3 days). We are hiring a car in Boston and driving down thru Sandwich and around and up to Provincetown etc the first day staying(I think) overnight in Hyannis. Then day trip to Nantucket again o/n Hyannis? Then I am not sure and need advice...... we all (4 adults from Australia) wanted to go to Newport but we aren't sure if we have time? If we left early morning(say 6am) from Hyannis could we drive to Newport and look about and then be back in Providence to catch a train to New York at 3.30pm? or are we being crazy? We so wanted to see New Port and know we wont be back!

Appreciate your advice......Shelley.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Cod to New Port

Some advice: go to Google maps & take a look at the Cape so that you get a sense of what your are proposing to do (drive from Boston, to Sandwich, past Hyannis on to P'town, back to Hyannis in one day? not a great way to see things or enjoy yourself)

The ferry from Hyannis to Nantucket is 2 hours each way, or the seasonal fast ferry is about an hour - so this would probably be an all day trip. Back to Hyannis, sleep, on to Newport - 1 hour 30 minute drive without traffic -leaving at 6:00am would put you there at 7:30 but nothing except breakfast places would be open. You would need to leave Newport by 1:30 to drop the car off somewhere (?) in Providence and get to the train.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Cod to New Port

I do have a map printed out, just thought we would be driving thru Sandwich on way thru to Provincetown, we could stay somewhere else say Harwich, Chatham or Orleans? the first night and then Hyannis the 2nd night?But originally I was thinking 2 nights in Hyannis as it looks pretty central. We are flexible but am wondering shall we just wing it or book the accom now? Your thoughts.....

I reckon we will probably do the drive down to Newport as it's only about an hour,we can have breckie there and have a drive about before we drive to Warwick airport about 45mins where we leave the hire car then taxi about 15mins to Amtrak train station. So in my estimation we would have 4/5hrs in Newport which would do us.

But appreciate any thoughts and comments from locals for sure. Any suggestions on great accommodations too.

Thanks.

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Cod to New Port

I'd book now.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Cod to New Port

I'd also suggest booking now. Depending on when you are coming in June, places may have 2 night minimums. Check the Anchor Inn in Hyannis.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,488 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Cod to New Port

On a budget try the Seacoast or spend a bit more for the AnchorIn on the harbor. When I first read your post I thought you would be on the Cape for three days but it looks more like just one so just decide on one morning adverture, then relax with a walk on one of the beautiful beaches and linger over a 'shore dinner' maybe on the harbor at Baxters or one of the others near the harbor.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Cod to New Port

Thanks for advice, and after re looking at whole of our trip plan realise we can actually have another day yay! So it will be Thurs 6th June leaving Boston to drive down and explore, Fri to Nantucket, Sat to explore(Maybe o/n Newport or somewhere on way to Newport?any suggestions) Sun Newport half day then to Providence to catch Amtrak to New York.

This feels alot better so am glad.

Thanks for advice so far i will try to book accom first as you suggest.

Appreciate any further advice/suggestions.......Thanks, Shelley.

upstate NY
Level Contributor
260 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Cod to New Port

Newport is known for its mansions and well worth visiting. I spent two days there and only saw 4 of them. one more day would have been nice. I also did a harbor tour, had a great time and loved the town. I can't imagine trying to do what you are attempting.

upstate NY
Level Contributor
260 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Cod to New Port

Newport is known for its mansions and well worth visiting. I spent two days there and only saw 4 of them. one more day would have been nice. I also did a harbor tour, had a great time and loved the town. I can't imagine trying to do what you are attempting.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
668 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Cod to New Port

First off, plan on closer to two hours driving from Hyannis to Newport. Early morning will be better, but the last five or ten miles getting into Newport will be a slog. After crossing onto Aquidneck Island in Tiverton, I always prefer East Main Road (Rte 138 to Aquidneck Ave to 138A) over West Main Road (Rte 114). It seems to move along better. Also, the stretch along Memorial Blvd is quite scenic. East Main Road will be a little better if you're headed to Bellevue Ave and the Newport mansions. (The mansions are great; everything you expect and then some!)

Lunch at the Black Pearl is the place to go. Get there earlier rather than later or plan on waiting for a table. (You can wait at the bar which is okay.) Parking in Newport is awful. If you see a spot, grab it right away or the person behind you will.

Newport to Warwick is about 45 minutes and then taxi to Amtrak 15 minutes as well. Keep in mind that if you miss your scheduled train with Amtrak they do not charge you to change your reservation like the airlines do. You will have to pay the fare difference (or be refunded the difference if the fare is lower) so missing the train and getting a later one will not be a terrible expense. But to get a new reservation you have to go to the ticket window and see an agent. Takes about two minutes, quick and easy.

Nightlife in Newport is as good as it gets. Maybe travelling a day earlier and booking there overnight might fit your plans better?

Edited: 12 April 2013, 08:45
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Cod to New Port

Thanks for all the advice. I have decided we will stay 3 nights is Hyannis and day trip from there. Going to New Port early the last day for a few hours then driving to Providence to get the train to NY. Your advice was a help in deciding this so Thanks.