We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy Day activites

Oxford, CT
1 post
Save Topic
Rainy Day activites

I have a tough assignment for all the knowledgeable Cape Cod people on this forum. I have checked these forums for ‘rainy day’ activities, but it seems to be geared to young families. While we are young at heart, our kids have graduated college and in the working world. I am looking for rainy day ideas that don’t include drinking, the potato chip factory or going to the malls or libraries. We are staying in West Yarmouth and this is our third summer of going to the Cape, so we have a good idea what is available on the Cape . All we usually pack is our bicycles and beach chairs and hope for great weather. We have checked the Music Tent Schedule and just looking for something ‘just in case’. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,212 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy Day activites

Head to Dennis. Arrive at the Cape Cod Art museum in time for a docent guided tour of the art. Check out the Cape Cod Cinema next door. See a show or at least try to see the interior and ceiling of the building. Check out what is playing at the venerable Cape Cod Playhouse. There is dining right there too. Head to the bar for appetizers at Summer Stock or get a table for a full meal. You could instead choose Scargo Cafe or Fin also right there.

If the rain lets up a bit you can pop into the unique boutiques and galleries. If you are in this area on a sunny day instead then drive up Scargo Hill to the tower. A short climb gives you a view all over the Cape on a clear day.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy Day activites

You could go to the cinema. We usually go to the ones in Wellfleet. Same place as the Drive-In but regular cinemas. You can still go out to eat, lunch or dinner or both. You can put your feet up and do some reading. If you haven't got anything to read go out for a while and browse some of the many independent bookstores on the Cape. there are two in Orleans plus a used bookstore where you can also exchange books. Have you been to the Salt Pond Visitors' Centre in Eastham? There are also several live theatre groups on the Cape.

Good for the evening, raining or not. Orleans and Wellfleet, plus Dennis. You might also enjoy the Dinner Theatre at the Sea Pines Inn in Brewster. wwwoldseapinesinn.com

Edited: 18 April 2013, 14:40
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy Day activites

www.oldseapinesinn.com Hi CCC, typing at the same time. I'm in Bermuda, overcast and threatening rain here at the moment. this is how I'm spending a few minutes waiting to see what the weather is going to do!!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy Day activites

Go to Provincetown:

Visit the Provincetown Art Association and Museum.

Visit the Provincetown Museum.

Visit art galleries and shops

Go the National Seashore Visitor's Center in Eastham.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainy Day activites

Check bookstores for author readings & book signings. The Cape Cod Natural History Museum in Brewster. The Glass Museum in Sandwich. One of our favorites when it is raining is to "go junking" - visit all the second-hand shops in churches basements & store fronts. Lots along Rt. 6A in Brewster, Orleans and downtown Chatham. Take a nap. ;-)

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainy Day activites

Go to Provincetown:

Visit the Provincetown Art Association and Museum.

Visit the Provincetown Museum.

Visit art galleries and shops

Go the National Seashore Visitor's Center in Eastham.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainy Day activites

Sandwich glass blowing. day trip to Newport. Kennedy Museum. Woods Hole.

My favorite rainy day activity is to go outside and try to walk in between the raindrops and visit all the downtown areas (even Dennisport) that I don't get to visit because I am on the beach on sunny days.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainy Day activites

you could also go to Provincetown

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rainy Day activites

There's art galleries on Rt 6A, as well as antique stores and shops, restaurants, as well as beaches.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 00:19
United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rainy Day activites

Mashpee commons has "The Lanes", bowling and bistro.